Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: So, about that R51...

1. 03-31-2014 02:51 AM #1
      Not looking too great so far.

-Numerous failures to fire.
      -Slide locked up.
      -Several failures to return to battery.
      -Grips loosening after 100 rounds fired.

-Loose sight
      -Tough slide manipulation (very tough...)

Both are new out of the box.

I hope these are just rare exceptions but not exactly the launch you want to have with a new firearm in a competitive market. Anyone have one? Any issues?

Vehicles
      '14 Chevy Volt- ALL black ---- '99 XJ 6"-Aussied d44-35" TSL-XRC8
      03-31-2014 08:03 AM #2
      The pederson action seemed like a bad concept to me. Seems to basically ram the breach backwards to get it to pop up an allow the slide to continue backwards.
      Aaron
      PSN: RealPower5

3. 03-31-2014 08:08 PM #3
      huh.

I didn't realize they were trying to use that complex a locking system.. for some reason I thought it was a gas-delay blow back like HK.

fairly simple system to allow high pressure cartridges with low mass slides, supposed to make recoil much more controllable.

with precises machining, and some hand fitting I bet the pederson works well, but in a low cost pocket pistol? theres no way there gonna get that right.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      04-01-2014 08:35 AM #4
      Couldn't have happened to a nicer company Jerkoffs

5. 04-02-2014 12:04 AM #5
      It may seem silly but while it wasn't a real contender for me, I wouldn't buy it now solely based on its action. That looks extremely stupid to me.

6. 04-16-2014 04:29 PM #6
      Ugh...not getting any better...what a turd.

(bulged casings on a T&E gun...more failures etc.) <--- this is the replacement gun Remington sent MAC.

^More bulged casings --- firing the gun out of battery!

What the f_ck Remington?

Note that MAC has three guns...all of them are pieces of sh_t. Light primer strikes, failures to feed (ball ammo), sights drifting under recoil, way too much play in the trigger, failures to set slide resulting in firing out of battery, huge variations in slide strength, and huge variations in grip-safety operation, etc. I can't remember a gun by a major manufacturer recently with such a sh_t release. I really hope anyone considering one does not plan on carrying it. Unacceptable.
      Last edited by Elbows; 04-16-2014 at 04:39 PM.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      04-16-2014 07:56 PM #7
      I never even heard of the R51 until this thread, but if I were in the market for a dangerous, unreliable gun, I'd personally save a few bucks and go with something from the Bryco/Jennings/Raven/Lorcin family of quality firearms.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      07-19-2014 09:28 AM #8
      Apparently Remington has removed all mention of this abomination from their website...

9. 07-19-2014 01:00 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by greychinchilla View Post
      I never even heard of the R51 until this thread, but if I were in the market for a dangerous, unreliable gun, I'd personally save a few bucks and go with something from the Bryco/Jennings/Raven/Lorcin family of quality firearms.

10. 07-19-2014 03:52 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      Apparently Remington has removed all mention of this abomination from their website...
      Jesus, that's...damning. Wonder if they're going back to the drawing board or if they're ditching the gun completely. Something tells me whoever pushed that project is probably looking for a new job.

11. 07-20-2014 08:30 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Jesus, that's...damning. Wonder if they're going back to the drawing board or if they're ditching the gun completely. Something tells me whoever pushed that project is probably looking for a new job.
      Maybe they'll end up at Hi-Point.
      This post was monitored and approved by the NSA

12. 07-20-2014 03:55 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by dubraycer36 View Post
      Maybe they'll end up at Hi-Point.
      No Hi Point's are more reliable than this thing...

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      07-26-2014 06:29 AM #13
      Brand new gun and replacements all around...http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gears...problems/#more

14. 07-26-2014 09:47 AM #14
      I wonder if the new design will fix the problems. the idea of a pocket 9mm that isn't a kel-tec is interesting (as a former PF9 owner)

Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post

^More bulged casings --- firing the gun out of battery!
      I don't think it was a OOB. I think the breach lock system is inadequate and is opening too early causing the problems, along with probably a poorly supported chamber to aid in feeding with the fairly steep angle, and possibly even incorrectly headspaced.

striker pistols don't generally fire OOB, because the sear won't disengage the striker without the breech block coming to full battery. at least none I've ever seen will. granted this thing is a pile of stacked tolerance errors and cheap materials who knows what could be happening. watching the video closely shows the slide in full battery, so most likely its the breech locking system that sucks.

either way means a potential failure, I bet a round of +p+ will finish it off like a glock 22 with hot reloads

Edit.

Never mind, while bored of of my head at work, I watched that whole droning video. that pile of **** can OOB. throw the whole design in the dumpster... if I had one I'd see if I could trade it towards a 1911 R1 or something... that POS is gonna cost some one their fingers.
      Last edited by dj age one; 07-26-2014 at 11:53 AM.

15. 07-27-2014 02:21 PM #15
      Good on them for replacing it (and extra magazines and a pelican case)...but I don't think I'd have too much confidence with it. I'd return it - get a new one, sell it (mags and case also) and get another gun. The whole thing just looks like a turd, and it seems it may be polished and may work better. But it's got nothing to offer over a Shield, XDS, etc.

However, I will give a tentative to Remington if they genuinely replace everything without fuss.