Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: OT - Moving to Melbourne

1. 04-04-2014 01:55 PM #1
      A new opportunity has finally lured me away from waterside during the week/mountains on the weekend Sydney lifestyle to Melbourne. The question is where to live and what to bring??

Will rent for the first 12 months until I get my head around the place. I'll be CBD bound for work and would like to avoid an extensive commute if possible as my days are usually 12-15hrs w/o travel.

I'll leave my race cars/dirtbike in Syd/Bne, but want to bring my mountain bike if there is anywhere to actually ride it of a weekend which doesn't involve excessive driving.

My budget is heallty, and don't want the maintenance of a house, so where do you guys suggest I start looking?

2. 04-04-2014 04:11 PM #2
      Draw a radius around work of how far you're prepared to walk twice a day.
      Otherwise Portsea and chopperpool with Lindsay Fox.

3. 04-04-2014 06:36 PM #3
      I normally roller blade to work, hence too many choices.

04-04-2014 07:02 PM #4
      Thinking of apartmenty type locations here. Port Melbourne, plenty of rollerblading there and not as many drug addicts as St Kilda, our own smarm lives there (not implying he is a drug addict). Don't even think about the windswept hell hole that is Docklands. Otherwise North Melbourne as that's pretty direct to the CBD. I like Brunswick but that's because I like pubs and there are a lot of pubs in Brunswick

The You Yangs, Lysterfield and Woodend are all around 45 minutes to an Hour out of town.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stubby, Esq. View Post
      buy both, save time.

5. Senior Member
      04-05-2014 01:56 AM #5
      I'll give you a serious answer. For a 12-15 hour work day, the answer is my old place. Eureka Tower. Make sure it is city view and above 30th floor.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bookie View Post
      gt2 is a luxury car, yes.

Vehicles
      Black Merc and a Box
      04-05-2014 02:24 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by WAY View Post
      I'll give you a serious answer. For a 12-15 hour work day, the answer is my old place. Eureka Tower. Make sure it is city view and above 30th floor.
      Nice digs.

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...bank-114880895
      a V8 and N/A

7. 04-05-2014 03:01 AM #7
      Thanks for the suggestions guys.

One is immediately clear from the little bit of looking I have done so far is that compared to Sydney, Melbourne looks like a 30% off property sale!

8. 04-05-2014 03:22 AM #8
      Port Melbourne is fantastic. ~45min walk into the city. The drug addicts here tend to be more of the lawyer types, rather then the slit your throat or give you a hand job st. kilda types. There's a cycle path that runs all the way into the city, about 10 minute ride.

No hills tho.
      They like Porches down there. Works like a charm with the young men.

9. 04-06-2014 06:03 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by skc View Post
      I normally roller blade to work, hence too many choices.
      Well in that case I'd say East Melbourne if you can cook and West Melbourne if you can't.

(Southbank if you are a cook and Port Melbourne if you think by cook we're talking methamphetamine.)

Vehicles
      vw and merc white pos
      04-06-2014 06:54 PM #10
      Port Melbourne - Bay St is where all the action is.
      Yeah I'm a Volvo driver

11. 04-06-2014 09:43 PM #11
      West Melbourne is ace. Close to the city and the freeway, either west or east bound.
      We're just off King street which means just a 45 min drive to Lysterfield and some other MTB trails.
      Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
      China's birthrate currently sits at 12/1000 = 18,000,000 this year, so your Rolex values are safe for now.

12. 04-23-2014 10:34 PM #12
      Thanks Guys.

Have rented a furnished place for a month at Freshwater opposite Crown and will look in more detail now I am down here.

Vehicles
      Neunelfer und die grosser Diesel Tourenwagen
      04-24-2014 12:13 AM #13
      Warm innit?
      I am planning to keep this for awhile. I am deadly serious too.

14. Senior Member
      04-24-2014 02:02 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by skc View Post
      Thanks Guys.

Have rented a furnished place for a month at Freshwater opposite Crown and will look in more detail now I am down here.
      Freshwater Place is good, but Eureka is better. My cousin had an apartment there that he used as his office so I know both buildings well.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bookie View Post
      gt2 is a luxury car, yes.

15. 04-24-2014 04:01 AM #15
      Freshwater Place is good, but Eureka is better. My cousin had an apartment there that he used as his office so I know both buildings well.
      Way do you still have your new Cayman?

*sorry connection to thread is I've been in melb for a wk and should have planned a coffee catch up with peeps down here. Congrats steph on the move. I love the cycling lane ways down here.
      Last edited by CliceKing; 04-24-2014 at 07:52 AM.
      WOT and Compression braking around CBD