Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: The "decline" of Tiger Woods vs. date PGA implemented drug testing

1. 04-07-2014 02:44 PM #1
      I have kept up with this stuff for a while. I've played the game since I was 5 and turn 30 this year. I'm also not bad at making wild assumptions. It's fun.

I just happen to notice that not long after the PGA implemented drug/doping testing similar to other sports, the Tiger "decline" began.

Sure, symptoms in that knee and back may have been there before. But were the drugs helping keep it a non-issue?

Mid-30's in other sports is retirement time, in golf you can keep on going.

I keep having this sneaking suspicion that he was on some kind of juice that helped him through any physical issues that got worse when the PGA adopted drug policy.

I dare not ask this question on a golf-dedicated forum......

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Focus ST and lots of bicycles
      04-07-2014 08:17 PM #2
      Until it's proven, let's not jump to conclusions.

Could his success not be attributed to being the first real "athlete" with hardcore training that decided to take golf as seriously as possible? A guy's body starting to break down in his 30's isn't that hard to believe.
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      You don't have to be in love with the car, but if you can't appreciate a car that has this much power and performance, handles/brakes this well, is RWD with a proper stick and starts at $50-something thousand dollars you should turn in both your enthusiast-card and your man-card and go buy a Honda CRV or something

3. 04-08-2014 08:25 AM #3
      I agree, he's put in the gym time other golfers have not. Absolutely.

I don't go to the gym as often as he does by even a 1/4, but my brother in-law does. And my brother in law is about the same height and build as "prime" Tiger, but a non-golfer, he couldn't care less for the game. He does the right nutrition, and I'm going to say does 80% the fitness Tiger does. And he's strong as hell. But the bulk difference between him and Tiger is something diet or exercise, in my wild ridiculous opinion , is something that needs a little "help". I've been to a few tournaments and seen the guy up close, he's freaking huge. Makes the average 20-yr old pro golf schmuck look like a twig.

What I want to know, is with that intense of a gym regimen, how he can recover to "practice" the game as much as he does. When I go frequently to the gym, there's not much amount of stretching or other work to get back to a comfortable state to swing a club until a day later. Much less in the afternoon after a morning gym trip.

I definitely don't believe what about 1/2 of the golf forum folks do, that his equipment brand change from Titleist to Nike was his downfall. Reason I say is, even if the casting of the club is the same as you and I can buy, the custom grind was SO custom it mimicked his old Titleist irons and putter very closely. IMHO it isn't the equipment. Pro-level stuff is pro-level stuff.

The one thing I will attest to though is the effectiveness of even a little gym time on a golf game......I always hit the ball pretty far, but with gym time, that ball is toast. Like the difference between carrying the ball 280 vs 300 in the air.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Focus ST and lots of bicycles
      04-08-2014 09:50 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
      I agree, he's put in the gym time other golfers have not. Absolutely.

I don't go to the gym as often as he does by even a 1/4, but my brother in-law does. And my brother in law is about the same height and build as "prime" Tiger, but a non-golfer, he couldn't care less for the game. He does the right nutrition, and I'm going to say does 80% the fitness Tiger does. And he's strong as hell. But the bulk difference between him and Tiger is something diet or exercise, in my wild ridiculous opinion , is something that needs a little "help". I've been to a few tournaments and seen the guy up close, he's freaking huge. Makes the average 20-yr old pro golf schmuck look like a twig.

What I want to know, is with that intense of a gym regimen, how he can recover to "practice" the game as much as he does. When I go frequently to the gym, there's not much amount of stretching or other work to get back to a comfortable state to swing a club until a day later. Much less in the afternoon after a morning gym trip.

I definitely don't believe what about 1/2 of the golf forum folks do, that his equipment brand change from Titleist to Nike was his downfall. Reason I say is, even if the casting of the club is the same as you and I can buy, the custom grind was SO custom it mimicked his old Titleist irons and putter very closely. IMHO it isn't the equipment. Pro-level stuff is pro-level stuff.

The one thing I will attest to though is the effectiveness of even a little gym time on a golf game......I always hit the ball pretty far, but with gym time, that ball is toast. Like the difference between carrying the ball 280 vs 300 in the air.
      I've spent a LOT of time in gyms. The biggest Tiger has ever been is not "huge," as far as people who lift weights go. I've seen many bigger guys that are 100% natural. Tiger was huge for golf standards, not athlete standards.

The equipment argument is ridiculous. Nike copies his old Titleist equipment; he's basically playing the same stuff. Like you said, custom pro gear is as custom as it gets.

I'm not a die-hard Tiger supporter (or hater), but I need to see something else to believe he "cheated." What I see is a guy going through his late 30s, paying for the abuse he put his body through in his 20s. He just has to learn to play a different kind of golf.

He'll be back, eventually, and he'll win more majors.
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      You don't have to be in love with the car, but if you can't appreciate a car that has this much power and performance, handles/brakes this well, is RWD with a proper stick and starts at $50-something thousand dollars you should turn in both your enthusiast-card and your man-card and go buy a Honda CRV or something

Vehicles
      2010 Honda Pilot touring
      04-16-2014 08:51 AM #5
      Ive always thought his decline started happening after his wife/kids left him. After all that controversy surrounding his infamous text messages and cheating ways (although i do not know why he would, his wife is hot!). Nike dropped him, fans turned their backs. Imo, he lost his game after that. Losing ones family will do that. He's an unhappy soul.

The man was unstoppable before all that happened.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      he's lucky he got out of the Sikh temple with his head. If I could have one culture of people on my side, I'd want the Sikhs/Gurkhas.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      01 F-350, 05 Suburban
      04-28-2014 10:27 AM #6
      His decline also coincides with when one of the doctors he was associated with was implicated in a doping scandal. Tiger distanced himself immediately.

This has always been something I've believed. He was doing SOMETHING and has since stopped.

Vehicles
      '02 Accord Coupe V6 EX
      04-29-2014 08:13 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by sassbs View Post
      Ive always thought his decline started happening after his wife/kids left him. After all that controversy surrounding his infamous text messages and cheating ways (although i do not know why he would, his wife is hot!). Nike dropped him, fans turned their backs. Imo, he lost his game after that. Losing ones family will do that. He's an unhappy soul.

The man was unstoppable before all that happened.
      Nike never has dropped and never will drop Tiger. And golf fans who hate him now still hated him long before his cheating scandal.
      Jeff Gordon - 2014 Sprint Cup Champion

Quote Originally Posted by RtresDeuce
      Harpoon knows what he's talking about.