Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2000 passat 1.8t intermittent miss

1. 04-07-2014 09:16 PM #1
      Hello all first post here. I have been having an issue with my 2000 passat 1.8 wagon that has been driving me batty for some time. I have posted in other forums with no luck and I'm hoping someone here can be of help.
      I have had random miss issues for the lack of a better term when the engine is warm and at idle or low speed. I can start the engine and drive all day long without issue but once I stop at a light for some time or turn off the engine and restart after short period of time the engine will act like an ignition miss and buck a few times until I get going again. I've changed all coilpacks and plugs with original vw parts , new oem maf sensor due to different issue and I have no fault codes. I have noticed when this happens and my window is open I can sometimes hear what sounds like air valve opening could it be related to the turbo system? Any info would be greatly appreciated and I hope my explanation makes sense lol thanks

Posted via Topify on Android

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Passat GLX Wagon (2.8L V6 "ATQ")
      04-08-2014 09:11 AM #2
      Just a hunch, but you might want to consider the engine speed sensor, aka the crankshaft position sensor.

3. 04-08-2014 10:31 AM #3
      Thanks for the info I will check it out this weekend

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      2000 VW Passat GLS 1.8T
      04-09-2014 10:32 AM #4
      I have been having this same problem as of about three weeks ago. Were you able to verify the problem?

5. 04-09-2014 03:23 PM #5
      Not yet. I will post if I do. I am however not completely convinced it is the crank sensor as I think the problem would show itself at any speed not just at idle or low speed after stopping at a light or shutting off engine when warm for a short period of time after and then clearing up completely. I am planning on checking the sensor tomorrow or Friday.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Passat GLX Wagon (2.8L V6 "ATQ")
      04-09-2014 05:28 PM #6
      I mentioned the engine speed (crankshaft position) sensor because somebody else recently was having random misfire and engine stalling, no-start problems, with no CEL or codes, which eventually was determined to be this sensor. Now, this was with the V6 engine, not the 1.8T. It is a cheap part to replace and relatively easy to change. Might be worth a shot.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ump-Relay-help

7. 04-13-2014 05:11 AM #7
      Ok Chaps,

I have had this problem for a while now and I've always been a VWVortex lurker but I had to create an account for this.

Before we get all excited, I haven't figured out what it is either but, I can tell you what I have changed and everything I've tried so far.

I have changed the plugs, coil packs, leads, MAF(Mass Air Flow Sensor), fuel filter, Crankshaft position sensor, battery, radiator, coolant temp sensor, and even added a new air filter, and I still have the same problem. (apparently these are all small things that can throw off your ECU and make over or under fueling... apparently )

The only thing I am waiting to do is a compression test to see if any compression is lost... BUT that doesn't help because, as you rightly pointed out, there would be more of a problem at speed, not just idle.

Now, if I use standard fuel I get the misfire at about 60-80mph, but anything between idle and 60-80mph is absolutley fine.

If I Used a higher octane fuel, I no longer get the misfire at speed but still get the misfire at idle.

Now in conclusion, I'm stumped. absolutely stumped. As are about 3 mechanic friends of mine and a VW dealership.

Thought I'd share, to save you the same expenses I've just gone through.

keep this updated though, there are a few forums where people have fixed it but haven't actually said how. lets work together