How to do a Coolant flush on a G60 101 by Strictly Gravy:
tools: Household slimline fan, Safety glasses, Cardboard, Drain Bucket, Channel lock pliers or Clamp compression tool from hardware store, Slotted Screw Driver, Hose/water supply(you need a fair amount) Coolant of your choice, Water Wetter(if desired) Jackstands, 12 pack of Bud Light Bottles(optional), Pack of Camel Lights(optional)
Note, this can also be used for a G11-G12 swap, just make sure you repeat steps 11-15 until water coming out is CRYSTAL CLEAR
1. Make sure car is cool, and has not been run in a while. Coolant is kind of hot.
2.where ever you chose to work, make sure you before you start, place cardboard on the floor below the entire engine bay, bc coolant may go everywhere or just drip, and it gets kind of slippery.
3. Set car on Jackstands
4. Pop Hood, Open Coolant reservoir Tank
5. Now, get below engine, wearing safety glasses on with channel lock pliers and your large bucket(whatever you choose as a catch can).
6. Directly below drivers side of radiator. Locate lower radiator hose. Its a soft rubber hose going over a hard metal pipe. It is right above/next to the Power steering hose which rests on the back lip of the Front Crossmember. Place The large bucket, etc directly below.
7. Now, with your pliers, remove the clamp holding the hose over the metal pipe. Slowly work its way off. I sometimes use a flat head screwdriver to help coax the hose off(if you havent done this for a while, prepare for some rust on there, and it may be difficult)
8. Now, Be prepared for coolant to start dripping once the hose has begun to be removed. At first, yeah, its gonna suck. you get the sticky coolant on ya, but keep on working. once you get the hose all the way off, it will start to flow. Try and get as much as you can in the bucket, bc A) its VERY slippery and kind of a pain in the ass to get the residue off the floor(but if you have cardboard, your fine ) B If you have pets, the mixture(ethelyn-glycol i belive) is very harmful/DEADLY. dogs love it bc its sweet, but its not so sweet after about an hour in their system
9. Now, with the lower coolant hose, still unattached, grab the hose, and insert it into your coolant reservoir. let it run for a while. Good time for a smoke/beer whatever floats your boat. However, be careful to not let your bucket overflow, thats no fun.
10. Turn off hose, but leave it nearby.
11. Reconnect lower rad hose. Clamp it if you want, but really no need, its gonna come off in 20 mins again anyway.
12. Fill coolant reservoir up with plain old water from your water source.
13. Put cap back on Coolant reservoir
14. Start car, let it run for a full cycle(ie until the fan turns on and should turn off again.) Once again, another good time for a beer/smoke
15. This is where the slimline house fan comes into play. Now, with car off, place fan either on top of the motor blowing down, or below the car(on 2x4s) blowing up(imho, works faster). This helps the cool down time of the coolant/engine immensely. Let that run for about 10-15 minutes. (do not rush this part. 200+ degree burns from coolant are not fun, i know) Once again, time for a beer/smoke
15. Drain coolant from lower radiator hose. Some may still be coolanty bc there is some left in the block etc you did not flush out on your previous flush.
16. Repeat steps 11-15 until your happy with the cleanliness of the water coming out of the system(or if you are just too drunk and have to stop )
17. After you are satisfied with your results, Fill tank up with whatever brand coolant and mixture you want. I ran i think a 60/40 water/coolent in the corrado, i dont know, its been so damn long . Right now though, in the Audi, in Chicago's sub zero-temps, im running about a 50/50 mix. Also, it doesnt hurt to throw in about half a bottle of water wetter(removes any small air pockets stuck to radiator.)
18. Now, leave cap off of reservoir. This is where you "burp" the system. Turn car on and let warm up. The coolant reservoir may go down. this is the air bubbles escaping from the system. Refill as needed. Let the car cycle back through again with the fan etc. Once again, drink/smoke at your leisure
19. Replace reservoir cap, lower car off jackstands, take her for a spin. after your drive, pop the hood and check the level of coolant, it may have gotten lower. Repeatedly check your coolant level for the next week or so. if you have high coolant temps, continue to 'burp' the system. if that doesnt work, flush your system again.
20. Have one last beer and smoke to commemorate a job well done
I hope this helps some people who were questioning it etc. I also dont kno if there has been an extensive writeup on this, so, i figured, im unemployed, my HW is done, and im too lazy to go out in the garage and work on my piece just yet.
Modified by Strictly Gravy at 2:09 PM 2-6-2004