VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

CLFOTWeekend 1977 MGB with a ford swap (not a V8)

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Mr. Chaos 
#1 ·
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/4462324683.html

1977 MGB. This car weighs very little, under 2000 pounds? and with a motor putting out around two hundred horse this car is fast , I have surprised a couple of new ss camaro owners who tried to stop my passing them and then a AMG Mercedes shut me down on a pass atempt! Restored and Heavily modified, powered by a 2.3 turbo SVO motor set at 15 pounds boost with a front mount Intercooler and a Tremic five speed with a SVO clutch rated at 250 HP and a custom drive shaft. Has a custom wire harness though the car with modern fuses and a Ron Franks engine Harness to a 1988 turbo coupe computer with a working OBD 1 port, so it's easy to keep running good. After market Ultra lite auto meter gauges that include Turbo boost and fuel / air ratio in a 1962 MGB steel dash. Fuel cell in the trunk. Poly bushings in a rebuilt front end. Slotted and drilled rotors and a shock convertion on the rear. Interior is perfect as is the paint the top is new and the wheels are 16 x 8 and the rear flairs are steel the hood is a fiberglass MGC copy with a custom bubble to clear the engine with an original steel frame so it fits right. You don't just drop this engine in so there was a lot of mods to the engine compartment and transmission tunnel to make the engine / transmission fit perfect, and the shifter is in exactly the right spot for your hand. I have a very nice hardtop as well that can go with the car if interested. 12,500 obo Its the most fun car you will ever own, has a cobra look and speed but feels like a sports car or go cart should and is GREAT on gas. E mail a phone number and I will call you.

I had someone ask about the rear end in the car and the miles on the motor and the mpg . The rear end is the later dana that came from the factory with 3.91 gears and will hold up very well even behind a v8 so the turbo four cylinder is no problem . With the five speed the gearing works out very well and tacks at around 3,000 rpm at 70 mph and I can use fifth gear in town. I don't know exactly what the mpg are but I would say over 30 if you don't take advantage of the power to much , I drive it all the time and I am all ways surprised how long a tank of gas lasts in this car. The motor was gone though about 3,000 miles ago and has standard bearings and standard bore with factory turbo pistons. The block is a newer model with the provision to go crank trigger and eliminate the distributor and in fact the crank trigger is on the motor now to make the swap easy if you want to go ahead and do it. I am not answering emails directly since so many are after contact information only, so the best bet is to give me your phone number and I will call you. Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I hate old people.

The Ford 2.3 is such a crap swap in todays world yet in many car communities there are still plenty of "older enthusiasts" that swear by it. These guys often have never heard of more modern motors and are stuck in their Ford 2.3, Dodge 2.2, Mazda 13B and Supercharged 3800 world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.