Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 09a Low/reverse piston seal?

1. 06-03-2014 11:15 AM #1
      Located on the left side of transmission housing, inside where the low/clutch is, there is a seal or rubber ring opening that aligns with the low/reverse piston hub hole. I assume it's for oil pressure to engage but could be wrong. This seal was wrecked when removing piston hub and reassembly. Questioning exactly what this seal does, and must I remove the valve body to replace it?

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      06-03-2014 11:46 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Nikype View Post
      Located on the left side of transmission housing, inside where the low/clutch is, there is a seal or rubber ring opening that aligns with the low/reverse piston hub hole. I assume it's for oil pressure to engage but could be wrong. This seal was wrecked when removing piston hub and reassembly. Questioning exactly what this seal does,

Its the oil pressure feed for that clutch pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikype View Post
      and must I remove the valve body to replace it?
      yes.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

3. 06-03-2014 01:31 PM #3
      So I found p# 001 323 611B. This is one of the seals behind the valve body but everywhere I look it's listed as either an o'ring or washer...part I need is a washer/seal with a tower that protrudes into the gear assembly. Is this the correct part?

4. 06-05-2014 05:08 PM #4
      Ok, the part number above was correct, had dealer ordered it...$28!

By the way, the issues I had to warrant a tear down.
      1&2nd worked and shifted great but wouldn't shift up beyond that, exactly the same in Tip...just revved and no engagement.
      Reverse worked great.
      Transmission sounded good, no bad noises at all.

Moved all hardware and accessed solenoids...ordered the set to be safe...even though they Ohm'd out good.
      Removed side cover to inspect clutches as the oil was a touch burnt.
      Found high clutch housing and piston seals shredded.
      Found reverse clutch disks fried and concave.
      All else looked great.

Replacing all bad components and seals.
      Remember to always pull valve body before installing B1 as it will tear the seal to the low/reverse clutch piston from the valve body oil pressure supply.!!!

Will update when complete.

Vehicles
      06-06-2014 09:50 AM #5
      I love that your ambitious enough to try these repairs. Keep us posted on how it goes.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

6. 06-10-2014 10:50 AM #6
      Ok, the solenoids finally came in. Installed and verified all wires were oriented correctly, assembled the car back to road worthiness.

Overall I drained 5 quarts from the car...this is due to removing clutch system and valve body.
      Filled with 3.5 quarts and fired up the engine...
      Nothing detonated and and all sounded good, so I ran through all the gears several times till the tranny warmed up.
      Pulled check plug and nothing came out...kind of expected that, added 1/2 quart oil and it started dribbling out.
      Added the remaining half quart and buttoned everything up.

Voila................She lives!!!!!!!

Ran great this morning again, will reply back in 100 miles.

7. 06-12-2014 09:30 AM #7
      Off-site work trips for two days have put 250 miles on the car...update.

First 50 miles the tranny worked pretty good, it produced a slight whine so checked fluid level, nothing came out.
      With five quarts removed and the initial oil checked full at 4 quarts installed I figured the tranny must have primed and pushed the air out of the cavities due to rebuild.
      Added half quart of oil and it started dribbling from the check plug again, poured rest of quart in so now I'm at full 5 quarts.
      Transmission feels as good as new, even smoother shifting now and I thought it was good before.

Thanks to any and everyone on this sight for your posts and especially those that replied to my posts, successful transmission rebuild.

If she blows up someday I'll post again.

Vehicles
      06-14-2014 08:48 AM #8
      Awesome! success!
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

9. 08-11-2014 11:07 AM #9
      Ok, it's been a few months, the car still runs and drives great but a new symptom has popped up.
      Well firstly, the tranny started a low whine last week and progressively has gotten worse.

When early morning and cold fluid, there's no noise...until it warms up then noisy.
      RPM increases sound and when in neutral there's minimal noise.

Still shifts fine but I'm worried that one of the bearings may have finally gone bad or is about to explode. Mainly I'm wanting to know if just bearings and races are available without purchasing the entire rebuild kit. I've read another post here where one of the bearings did fail but can't find it to see if single parts are available.

Any advice would help, or alternate issue ideas. And if anyone has parts that would be awesome.

2002Jetta 1.8t
      5 Speed Tiptronic.