Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Anyone put flex pipes in their header? Looking to reduce vibration.

Vehicles
      1990 16VG60 Corrado on MS2 - Turbo diesel Grand Cherokee - SR5 4Runner
      06-09-2014 08:15 AM #1
      Does anyone have a back to back comparison for adding flex pipes to their headers? This Raceland header has been working well for 200 miles but my head gasket leaked so now I have the opportunity to upgrade the exhaust before I put the head back on. I got these Vibrant Performance pieces (2" ID x 4" OAL Vibrant Stainless Exhaust Flex Pipe w/ Interlock Liner - PN 60604)

But they are so stiff! I have to stand on it to see any flex. And let me say that the only reason I'm looking into this is because I notice a huge difference in vibration that is transferred to the car with the new exhaust on.

What do you think? Is this just a waste of time and money?

Vehicles
      Orig Owner 90 G60 & 02 Allroad 6Sp Man w/ 3rd Row Seat 97 Triple White New Beetle 2.5 6SP Auto (JUA)
      06-13-2014 01:56 AM #2
      Bought one for the TT downpipe and thankfully didn't install it of cut up the ss TT exhaust system to do it. The will flex and reduce vibration. They'll also leak after a short period of time due to the g60's high exhaust temps & vibration. My g60 has consumed three tt ss downpipe in the last ten years. I'm over them until I get better/poly mounts.

I have one more out to play before I go to a solution that I know will work. Going back to a new OEM down pipe that's reinforced at the collector with springs. Mine oe lasted for a decade before it started to leak.

For what you've got cooking with your header I'd do what Brendan did. Vibratech street (not race!!) on all three mounts. It isolates the engine from rocking but still allows movement to a lesser degree. The poly will tune out the vibration since all three sides will behave the same .... or cancel the harmonic vibration.

tt downpipe flexible started failing low miles.
      ¡¡ opɐɹɹoɔ ǝɥʇ!!!ƃuıʇɔǝdsǝɹ !!!
      !! odarroɔ ǝht gnitɔepser !!

Vehicles
      06-13-2014 12:54 PM #3
      Thanks for the tips, mang. I'll try it anyways. Got nothing to lose but a couple hundred bucks. If it's not that effective, I'll add a single bigger one before the cat. And maybe even try those mounts.

Vehicles
      06-30-2014 02:46 PM #4
      Doin work today. Pretty happy with how the flex pipes turned out. I got the head in place and test fit the header. If I grab the cat back and shake it, there is just as much wiggle at the rubber hangers as there is at the flex pipes. It should have much less vibration now.

Don't make fun of socks and sandals. It's what I wear in the garage.