Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer (football to the rest of the world) - FIFA World Cup fun

near the Gandy, Frankland and Sunshine Skyway
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      06-09-2014 11:56 AM #1
      The 2014 FIFA World Cup is starting. Since we have a hockey thread, how about a soccer thread and an opening video.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      06-09-2014 12:46 PM #2
      Well, ol' Klinnsi has pretty much conceded this is time for experimenting and getting the younger guys some experience... We couldn't have drawn a more difficult group.

Oh well, it's Deutschaland über alles for me.

Any thoughts on whether or not this WC (and upcoming Olympics) are going to be FUBAR?

06-09-2014 12:51 PM #3
      I used to hate soccer, but I try to tolerate it a bit more now so that I don't offend the gays.

4. Member
      06-09-2014 12:53 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      Well, ol' Klinnsi has pretty much conceded this is time for experimenting and getting the younger guys some experience... We couldn't have drawn a more difficult group.
      Just read this: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/group-o...38-soccer.html

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      06-09-2014 01:00 PM #5
      Interesting... We have pulled off upsets (and very near upsets) in the past.

Has anyone heard how the Canadian team is going to do this summer?

Vehicles
      '02 Allroad
      06-09-2014 01:08 PM #6
      That video was awesome I'm looking forward to the world cup but man FIFA is

Vehicles
      06-09-2014 01:11 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by butterface View Post
      I used to hate soccer, but I try to tolerate it a bit more now so that I don't offend the gays.

Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Vehicles
      2003 BMW 330i, 2002 Toyota Appliance
      06-09-2014 02:10 PM #8
      There's a Sports forum.
      I always plug in USBs right the first time.

Vehicles
      06-09-2014 02:37 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by theevilshiftkey View Post
      There's a Sports forum.
      This is more of a criminal, religious, geopolitical discussion regarding the nature of FIFA as it relates to the direct interest of people who have nothing to live for other than seeing a bunch of grown men get paid millions of Euros by crooked autocrats to kick around a little ball.

And we will also have gifs of these overpaid grown men acting like babies.

10. Member
      06-09-2014 03:44 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post

And we will also have gifs of these overpaid grown men acting like babies.
      Soooo can we throw in some gifs of the NBA Finals as well?
      'You gotta fast car'

11. 06-09-2014 03:58 PM #11
      Like every other sport, football is massively over-politicized and corporate now (and yes, FIFA sucks). Sadly it's a bit of Brasil's fault as well. They put in a bid to host the World Cup and knew exactly what they were getting into. They're not stupid, they know the costs and they know they didn't have the right number of stadiums. They knew they were going to upset people. Brasil is not some economic powerhouse, so it was always going to be painfully expensive. I imagine like the Olympics and negative stuff will be cleansed from broadcasts and it'll all appear as a normal World Cup.

I'll watch it, since I enjoy "soccer" and international competitions. For me, since I started watching around World Cup 1998 this is the first time that most of the players are new to me. We've had a huge retirement of the "old guard" that I've been so used to watching. I'm curious to learn a lot of new names.

The first game will be interesting since it's a rematch of the World Cup Final from 2010. I think the US will do what it usually does - okay, but nothing spectacular. My hope is with Germany as they launched a great young, reimagined team in 2010 and most of those guys are still kicking copious amounts of ass. Britain will be painful to watch as always (home of the best league but their national team has been impotent for decades). France will either do pretty well or fail miserably (it seems they have to do one or another).

The usual amazing teams will do their thing: Brasil, Italy, Uruguay, Argentina etc.

Should be interesting.

12. 06-09-2014 04:39 PM #12
      This is how Holland looks during the WC games...this was 2010
      Good old fashioned punkrock!

http://jvgm.bandcamp.com/track/a-change

13. 06-09-2014 04:43 PM #13
      The game:

Last edited by Jack-the-Tripper; 06-09-2014 at 04:47 PM.
      Good old fashioned punkrock!

http://jvgm.bandcamp.com/track/a-change

14. 06-09-2014 04:44 PM #14
      I was in London during the world cup in 2002...it was intense. Consider the Super Bowl, and then spread the tailgating through the entire country. It blows away any U.S. sporting event by a long margin.

15. 06-09-2014 04:48 PM #15

Oh well, it's Deutschaland über alles for me.

Any thoughts on whether or not this WC (and upcoming Olympics) are going to be FUBAR?
      I'm going to get crucified for this, but I think US has better team work than Germany. They're not aggressive and play very clean, proper football. If they would put just a little more effort into offense, they would be team not to reckon with.

16. 06-09-2014 04:52 PM #16
      2010's Germany team was fantastic...and I think they have some killer talent. The US team is good, but we don't have the extreme talent needed to push us to the top. I'd love to see us luck out and punch above our weight though. Portugal actually struggled to qualify (only saved by a final hat-trick by Ronaldo). But as with all soccer games, if we luck out and go 11 v. 10 maybe we can get a bit further up. Germany just has the brutal talent we lack currently.

17. 06-09-2014 05:14 PM #17
      http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/5/577...ect-walk-again

Thought this was awesome!!

edit: more up to date link.
      Last edited by DUBLUV401; 06-09-2014 at 05:20 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Old Windy View Post
      Does that she Tropper has sideburns? It does not say were the accident happen? Any more to the story?
      Quote Originally Posted by hipster. View Post
      The ADs on the side of facebook are the least of my annoyances on facebook. People I went to high school with bombing photo after photo of their ugly baby, now that's annoying.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      06-09-2014 05:41 PM #18
      I used to hate American Football, but I try to tolerate it a bit more now so that I don't offend the gays.

FIFY

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      06-09-2014 05:42 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by TASVW View Post
      I'm going to get crucified for this, but I think US has better team work than Germany. They're not aggressive and play very clean, proper football. If they would put just a little more effort into offense, they would be team not to reckon with.
      That's the big strength for the US team... Their teamwork has surprised many teams in the past.

06-09-2014 05:46 PM #20
      FIFY
      Word on the street is that Umbro and Lotto are looking to break into the NFL by signing him to merch deals.

21. Member
      06-09-2014 05:50 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Jack-the-Tripper View Post
      This is how Holland looks during the WC games...this was 2010
      Massive Dutch supporter myself. Would love to see them eek out a W in their opener against Spain.

Also, my cousin was over that side during Euro 2008 and she said there was oranje as far as the eye could see. Even found some relatives.
      'You gotta fast car'

06-09-2014 05:54 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Roloff View Post
      Massive Dutch supporter myself.
      There's only two things I hate in this world.

06-09-2014 06:08 PM #23
      Love when World Cup comes around. 2 weeks vacation coming up for me, and many matches will be viewed.

Growing up in the UK/Spain and being in Spain for 1982 cup, sealed the deal on my love for the game.
      2011 Reflex Silver CC Sport - 4300k HID's, DRL's off, 35% Tint, Vag-Com tweaks, Footwell lights, LED interior lights, debadged, extra bag hook, euro switch, rear fogs, fog lights retrofit LINK, clear turns.

CC Windows w/key fob & Rain Closing - LINK

24. 06-09-2014 06:12 PM #24
      There's only two things I hate in this world.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      06-09-2014 06:15 PM #25
      Word on the street is that Umbro and Lotto are looking to break into the NFL by signing him to merch deals.
      Those are pretty much third world kit suppliers these days.... Shouldn't he have something a little more fabulous?

Vehicles
      VW
      06-09-2014 07:40 PM #26
      It should be a fun World Cup.

Brazil will be under huge pressure, and I wouldn't be surprised if they fall out after the group stage. I watched their last two friendlies and that good ol' Brazil is gone.

Germany as always will be a top contender. You can never rule them out. They have won it w worse team. Same goes for Italy. Always sloppy in qualifiers, struggle in group stage, then explode in knock outs. It wont be pretty, but it will bring results.

This will be the only tournament in last 25yrs that I don't expect anything from African nations. There are some great players (Eto, Drogba, Yaya Toure) but very bad team work. If Ghana wasn't in such a hard group , but there is no passing by Ger, Por and USA.

As usual I expect England to be a flop. Same goes for Oranje. I wouldn't be surprised if Argentina and France mess up. Holland, France and Argentina have always had great players, but internal feuds would stop them from making any kind of result.

As for suprises, I expect a lot from Belgium, Uruguay, Ecuador and Swiss. Im hoping my home country of Bosnia, makes a push pass group stage.

My prediction by groups:

A.
      Brazil
      Croatia

B.
      Oranje/Spain
      Chile

C.
      Colombia
      Greece

D.
      Italy
      Uruguay

E.
      France/Ecuador
      Swiss

F.
      Argentina
      Bosnia

G.
      Germany
      Portugal

H.
      Belgium
      Russia
      Last edited by TM87; 06-18-2014 at 03:55 PM.
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

27. Member
      Vehicles
      A3 Pilot S2K
      06-09-2014 07:52 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by TASVW View Post
      I'm going to get crucified for this, but I think US has better team work than Germany.
      Germany has the 23 man roster talent by far over the US and that will play out over time. The lowest player on the Germany roster is a starter in England/Germany...the US has how many players that play at the top club levels?? Wait till Germany gets a couple of games under their belt...their organization/distribution/defense is worlds above the US.
      I'll watch and cheer for the US, but don't expect them to advance past the first round.
      Last edited by tbvvw; 06-09-2014 at 07:56 PM.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      A3 Pilot S2K
      06-09-2014 07:55 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Sadly it's a bit of Brasil's fault as well. They put in a bid to host the World Cup and knew exactly what they were getting into. They're not stupid, they know the costs and they know they didn't have the right number of stadiums. They knew they were going to upset people. Brasil is not some economic powerhouse, so it was always going to be painfully expensive. I imagine like the Olympics and negative stuff will be cleansed from broadcasts and it'll all appear as a normal World Cup.
      The problem is that Brazil championed for and got this bid during very good economic times...nobody plans and prepares or thinks about for the lean times ahead when the event actually takes place. Their economy from the day they won the bid compared to today is completely different and far, far worse now.

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      06-09-2014 08:41 PM #29
      Like every other sport, football is massively over-politicized and corporate now (and yes, FIFA sucks). Sadly it's a bit of Brasil's fault as well. They put in a bid to host the World Cup and knew exactly what they were getting into. They're not stupid, they know the costs and they know they didn't have the right number of stadiums. They knew they were going to upset people. Brasil is not some economic powerhouse, so it was always going to be painfully expensive. I imagine like the Olympics and negative stuff will be cleansed from broadcasts and it'll all appear as a normal World Cup.
      FIFA, the IOC, F1 and the NFL are all pretty much the same when it comes to these events.

The NFL's 153 page bid specifications call for minimum sized seats, 3 golf courses nearby, two top quality bowling lanes for an event they do, ATM's that accept the NFL's preferred cards, a familiarization trip for about 180 people to inspect the region before the game, et al:

http://www.documentcloud.org/documen...l#document/p36

30. 06-09-2014 08:48 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post
      The problem is that Brazil championed for and got this bid during very good economic times...nobody plans and prepares or thinks about for the lean times ahead when the event actually takes place. Their economy from the day they won the bid compared to today is completely different and far, far worse now.
      Right, but any country or organization big enough to consider trying to host a world class event will accept that risk...and it sucks when it goes bad. As usual it becomes a class struggle...is it worth investing in new highways if you push poor people out of favelas, etc. Is the country better off afterward? Will the World Cup generate enough additional Brasilian investments from outside countries etc. I'm not saying anybody is right or wrong here (I don't know much about the real situation) but simply put you can't please everyone. If we stepped back from any detrimental impact of hosting events (single sporting events, street races, vast international competitions) we'd simply not have them - end of story.

No one can really say if it's worth it or not.

Vehicles
      '10 S4 | '91 MR2 Turbo
      06-09-2014 09:06 PM #31
      Interesting to see so many people rooting for Germany. Is it simply because they're good? I became their fan in 1990 while in elementary school, partly because I thought their jerseys looked cool.

My brother's a die-hard Brazil fan but I'm pretty sure it's only cuz of their history. I even bought him a Brazilian soccer jersey while I was in Barcelona that he's never worn. /CSB

I bet the media will also turn a blind eye to the massive garbage islands that are floating off the coast:

06-09-2014 09:13 PM #32
      Is Gelé still big in Brazil?

33. Member
      Vehicles
      A3 Pilot S2K
      06-09-2014 09:16 PM #33
      Right, but any country or organization big enough to consider trying to host a world class event will accept that risk...and it sucks when it goes bad. As usual it becomes a class struggle...is it worth investing in new highways if you push poor people out of favelas, etc. Is the country better off afterward? Will the World Cup generate enough additional Brasilian investments from outside countries etc. I'm not saying anybody is right or wrong here (I don't know much about the real situation) but simply put you can't please everyone. If we stepped back from any detrimental impact of hosting events (single sporting events, street races, vast international competitions) we'd simply not have them - end of story.

No one can really say if it's worth it or not.
      For Brazil, or SA 4 yrs ago...etc...not worth it.

If it were up to me only current first world countries with current infrastructure that could handle a WC or Olympics already would get a bid. I've been to former Olympic winter villages and the last time anyone used the facilities was the last day of their Olympics.
      Brazil just spent $900M for a $300M stadium in a city that doesn't have a pro soccer team...and as of last week...it's still not 100% complete. It doesn't get any worse than that.
      Take away the bribes and corruption and maybe only 6-7 countries in the world could/would get a WC. And that would be fine.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      A3 Pilot S2K
      06-09-2014 09:22 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Interesting to see so many people rooting for Germany. Is it simply because they're good?
      Ich bin Deutscher. But yes...they are always good. Build a weighted points system for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place for the last 50 yrs of WC's and Germany would be top in overall points.
      Since 1966 they have 9 top 3 finishes...Brazil has 5.

35. 06-09-2014 09:48 PM #35
      Mannschaft?

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast