Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a GLI for the RACETRACK- lots of pics

1. 06-09-2014 05:52 PM #1
      I have had my 2014 GLI for about 3 months now. I have done the following mods (see below) and have been really impressed with the performance of the car around Talladega Gran Prix Raceway and Atlanta Motorsports Park. However, I feel like there is still a lot of improvements to be made, so I plan to have the second list of mods below installed Wednesday.

Current Mods to Date:

APR stage 1 tune on 93 octane
      APR carbino intake
      Custom dual exhaust
      Diesel geek short throw shifter plus cut shifter shaft
      Ecs dogbone mount insert and billet dogbone
      Dg springs
      Hotchkis sway bars front and rear
      All 3 unibraces
      Stoptech big brake kit (355mm 2 piece rotors
      Racing brake fluid
      Nuespeed 18" 19 lb wheels
      Bridgestone re-11 tires
      P3 cars vent boost gauge and 0-60mph timer

Mods happening Wednesday!:

R compound dot hankook racing slicks
      H&R club sport coilovers (600 lb spring rate)
      Aluminum GTI subframe
      Super pro control arms with bushings
      Tyrol dead set screw kit for front subframe
      Tyrol dead set screw kit for rear subframe
      Fully adjustable lower ball joints
      Volkswagen racing sway bar end links
      Upper rear control arm super poly bushings
      Lower rear control arm super poly bushings
      Rear trailing arm super poly bushings
      Draining antifreeze and replacing with water and "water wetter"
      Motul 300v racing oil

Last edited by GLI30ED; 07-11-2014 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Updates to thread

Vehicles
      2013.5 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 TSI EA888 Gen 3 (DSG)
      06-09-2014 06:07 PM #3
      All I gotta say is DAMN! Sweet ride. You gonna take it to Road Atlanta for track days?

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Jetta Tdi sedan
      06-09-2014 06:07 PM #4
      Holy $$$$$ but awesome!
      2013 tdi 6mt plat gray. Diesel dubs 2.5 dp + resonator ceramic coated. Malone stage 2. Injen sp intake. 17" drag dr37. 225/45/17 nitto motivo.
      Best tank 800 miles, 53.843 Mpg.

4. 06-09-2014 06:12 PM #5
      I am taking it to Road Atlanta for the first time on June 28th. I can't wait! Even as they car is now, I am tearing cars up that cost twice as much. It's a good feeling when someone comes up and says, btw who drives an m3, "what is that thing? I couldn't believe you passed me"

5. 06-09-2014 06:22 PM #6
      I am taking it to Road Atlanta for the first time on June 28th. I can't wait! Even as they car is now, I am tearing cars up that cost twice as much. It's a good feeling when someone comes up and says, btw who drives an m3, "what is that thing? I couldn't believe you passed me"

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GLI AB w/ Nav, '04 Passat 1.8T
      06-09-2014 07:54 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI30ED View Post
      Your car beat a 425hp twin-turbo inline-6 M3?
      First VW Purchased in '98: '91 GLI 2.0 16V: Intake, Euro Cam, Port/Polished Head, ECU, Short-Shift Kit, Cat-back exhaust. Suspension. Quad-Headlight Euro-Grill.

7. 06-09-2014 08:03 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lock Dog View Post
      Your car beat a 425hp twin-turbo inline-6 M3?

Yes. And a Ariel atom. Keep in mind these are track days and not races. You get all sort of skill or lack there of on the track. Would I have beat myself if I had been the driver of the m3? Probably not.

The point I was making is that there are a lot of people out there that think they are fast and when a guy passes them in a VW Jetta, if surprises them. By the way... Not sure what m3 you were referring to? Last model was a a 414 hp v8 and the model before that was a 333 hp inline six. The brand new m3 has 425 hp and you can't even buy one yet much less see one on the track.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GLI AB w/ Nav, '04 Passat 1.8T
      06-09-2014 08:20 PM #9
      Yes. And a Ariel atom. Keep in mind these are track days and not races. You get all sort of skill or lack there of on the track. Would I have beat myself if I had been the driver of the m3? Probably not.

The point I was making is that there are a lot of people out there that think they are fast and when a guy passes them in a VW Jetta, if surprises them. By the way... Not sure what m3 you were referring to? Last model was a a 414 hp v8 and the model before that was a 333 hp inline six. The brand new m3 has 425 hp and you can't even buy one yet much less see one on the track.
      I get your point, and I agree. VW's in general are sleeper cars, especially the GLI.
      First VW Purchased in '98: '91 GLI 2.0 16V: Intake, Euro Cam, Port/Polished Head, ECU, Short-Shift Kit, Cat-back exhaust. Suspension. Quad-Headlight Euro-Grill.

9. 06-09-2014 08:24 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lock Dog View Post
      I get your point, and I agree. VW's in general are sleeper cars, especially the GLI.

With a little money, they are surprisingly quick around a track? The biggest issue with our cars is that front suspension. The stamped steel subframe and control arms have no adjustability and the stamped steel control arms don't even have a horizontal rear bushing allowing it to move up and don't effortlessly. The stuff I am doing to the front end is going to make this thing a track monster. The best part is outside of the big brake kit and race tires, it basically looks like a stock GLI. It really will be a sleeper.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CW Jetta GLI (DSG)
      06-09-2014 08:25 PM #11
      Curious about the UNIbrace XB on the GLI. I have the ... UB I think it is. How hard was it to install the XB, how many hours labor?? Does it make a big difference?
      APR (V3.1) K04 - FMIC - DP | AWE Touring CBE | IE Valve Springs | Carbonio CAI | DG Springs | BBS CFs | Pilot Super Sports | Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Stoptech Performance Pads | P3Cars Gauge - Analog Sensor - Forge Boost Tap | Unibrace UB | Neuspeed TOP | R8 Coils | NGKs | LED DRLs | VCDS

Vehicles
      2014 JSW TDI + 1988 GLI 16V
      06-09-2014 08:25 PM #12
      Now that's my kind of GLI! I think we are gonna need some action videos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      BAGGED 2012 TR BASE GLI
      06-09-2014 08:26 PM #13

I believe the M3 but I HIGHLY doubt the ariel atom. ive seen those on the track with other cars and they are like go karts. im not calling you a liar but from what ive seen personally and know what the supercharged Si motor ariel atom can do im highly doubting that accusation my friend.

other than that this GLI looks amazing and look forward to the future mods and updates Wednesday my friend

13. 06-09-2014 08:40 PM #14
      For you to write this response does not offend me in the slightest. Liar I am not, someone who has clearly never driven on a track day... You are. You would understand otherwise. Just because someone has the cash to shell out 100k for a toy doesn't make them a good driver or even adventurous to drive it near its limits.

14. 06-09-2014 08:42 PM #15
      Coming soon. I've got some I'm about to load from my last track day at little talladega. And I will have some really good ones once I go to road Atlanta on the 28th.

Vehicles
      BAGGED 2012 TR BASE GLI
      06-09-2014 08:49 PM #16
      For you to write this response does not offend me in the slightest. Liar I am not, someone who has clearly never driven on a track day... You are. You would understand otherwise. Just because someone has the cash to shell out 100k for a toy doesn't make them a good driver or even adventurous to drive it near its limits.
      your right ive never participated on a track day and also money will not buy driving skills that come with an upscale car ( ive seen tons of fails on and off the track from owners of upscale cars ). I was talking in general though the ariel atom is for power/weight and also suspension/chassis setup coupled with drag coefficients a VERY track worthy car that can compete with cars 3-4 times its cost in the RIGHT DRIVERS HANDS. im not trying to be an ass to you for the record and please don't take it that way, also I am not in any way trying to belittle what you have and are going to do to this GLI, its an amazing build thus far.

16. 06-09-2014 08:54 PM #17
      XB is the one across the trunk behind the second row seats. If I had to say one was difficult it would be this one. None were very hard or time consuming but this one took about 45 minutes. I didn't even remove the rear seat or seat back. I held it in place and marked the felt carped with a pen. I then cut out that material with a razor blade. I held the brace firmly in place and drilled about 6 holes down each side- through the brace and in the car. I then put a good amount of silicone on the back to prevent squeaks. I put it back in place and riveted it in place. This one had the best effects on reducing squeaks in the car.

The UB is the one under the car. Super easy install. Takes 5 minutes if you have access to a lift. Otherwise it is a little awkward being on your back under the dead center of the car. I've got to be honest. I noticed nothing with this brace. Then again, I did not drive it aggressively afterwards. I installed this one first and drove around for a couple of days.

The RB is the one under your rear subframe. I installed this one after the UB and before the XB. This one was really easy top. 5 to 10 minutes with a lift. I do feel like I noticed a more dialed in feeling to the road with this one. The car feels a little more planted.

Bottom line.... Are you really going to need any of them for street use? I don't think so. However, if you intend on tracking your car like I do, it sure can't hurt.

I am excited to feel how everything is after Wednesday. At that point I will have every soft and mooshy factory bushing replaced with dense polyurethane bushings with street density on a few and race density on some others. It should feel like you have a real connection with the road.
      Last edited by GLI30ED; 06-09-2014 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Error

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CW Jetta GLI (DSG)
      06-09-2014 09:08 PM #18
      XB is the one across the trunk behind the second row seats. If I had to say one was difficult it would be this one. None were very hard or time consuming but this one took about 45 minutes. I didn't even remove the rear seat or seat back. I held it in place and marked the felt carped with a pen. I then cut out that material with a razor blade. I held the brace firmly in place and drilled about 6 holes down each side- through the brace and in the car. I then put a good amount of silicone on the back to prevent squeaks. I put it back in place and riveted it in place. This one had the best effects on reducing squeaks in the car.

The UB is the one under the car. Super easy install. Takes 5 minutes if you have access to a lift. Otherwise it is a little awkward being on your back under the dead center of the car. I've got to be honest. I noticed nothing with this brace. Then again, I did not drive it aggressively afterwards. I installed this one first and drove around for a couple of days.
      Wow ... so you just held it in place while you punched through. I might get the XB eventually. I have the UB now, and I really felt like it made a difference, especially perhaps the harder I go. And putting 300+hp to the ground with the k04, it can't hurt.
      APR (V3.1) K04 - FMIC - DP | AWE Touring CBE | IE Valve Springs | Carbonio CAI | DG Springs | BBS CFs | Pilot Super Sports | Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Stoptech Performance Pads | P3Cars Gauge - Analog Sensor - Forge Boost Tap | Unibrace UB | Neuspeed TOP | R8 Coils | NGKs | LED DRLs | VCDS

18. 06-09-2014 09:19 PM #19

The RB is the one under your rear subframe. I installed this one after the UB and before the XB. This one was really easy top. 5 to 10 minutes with a lift. I do feel like I noticed a more dialed in feeling to the road with this one. The car feels a little more planted.

Bottom line.... Are you really going to need any of them for street use? I don't think so. However, if you intend on tracking your car like I do, it sure can't hurt.

I am excited to feel how everything is after Wednesday. At that point I will have every soft and mooshy factory bushing replaced with dense polyurethane bushings with street density on a few and race density on some others. It should feel like you have a real connection with the road.
      Quote Originally Posted by H132 View Post
      Wow ... so you just held it in place while you punched through. I might get the XB eventually. I have the UB now, and I really felt like it made a difference, especially perhaps the harder I go. And putting 300+hp to the ground with the k04, it can't hurt.
      Ko4 probably does make a difference. Super jealous. Currently apr has nothing more for the gen 3 motor than my tune and intake. Hopefully something will be coming soon.

I didn't exactly just hold it in place. After drilled the first hole on each side i slid in a rivet but didn't install it. This held it in place so the hole alignment didn't get screwed up as I went.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CW Jetta GLI (DSG)
      06-09-2014 09:34 PM #20
      Ko4 probably does make a difference. Super jealous. Currently apr has nothing more for the gen 3 motor than my tune and intake. Hopefully something will be coming soon.

I didn't exactly just hold it in place. After drilled the first hole on each side i slid in a rivet but didn't install it. This held it in place so the hole alignment didn't get screwed up as I went.
      There's a thread on here that hints the Gen3 will have a sweet BT setup. Soon or later, you'll be making loads more power than 300whp by the looks of it. Looking forward to see any vids.

20. 06-09-2014 09:43 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by H132 View Post
      There's a thread on here that hints the Gen3 will have a sweet BT setup. Soon or later, you'll be making loads more power than 300whp by the looks of it. Looking forward to see any vids.

When I was at SoWo in Helen Ga a couple of weeks ago, Doug with APR showed me their gen 3 test car that had a gtxiii turbo on it. It was commissioned to be built by vw and because of it they tuned it to only 300 wheel horsepower. He was really hush hush about the real number but he said I am going to be really happy. I would imagine it will have north of 450 hp considering the gen 1 is producing that with the same set up. He said to expect it towards the end if the year. No word on pricing.

21. 06-09-2014 09:49 PM #22
      Amen to that. How hard was the XB install?

22. 06-09-2014 09:55 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by gk2014gli View Post
      Amen to that. How hard was the XB install?
      Hardest if the three but still easy. In this thread I explained how to do it. Much easier and secure way than using the supplied "nutsert" hardware.

Vehicles
      2012 MKVI Jetta
      06-09-2014 10:40 PM #24
      Curious on why you chose to put a GTI sub frame on
      IG: all_things_bbj
      My F23T GLI Build Thread

24. 06-09-2014 10:54 PM #25
      Wow, great build! I've been waiting for thread like this. Please keep updating this thread with your experiences taking your car to the track.

The GLI in my household currently serves daily driver duty for my wife. But once she's ready to move on to a different car, I've got plans for this one

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI, 2012 Jetta TDI, 1995 Porsche 911
      06-09-2014 11:04 PM #26
      Given the right and wrong drivers a 1965 Beetle could beat an Aventador.

The next mod I would look into would be a freebie (if you don't mind the resale kick...) DIET VW stuffed a good 300lbs of unnecessary junk into a Jetta that's just aching to come out! I would do it , buy my wife would kill me!

Vehicles
      2013 GLI Autobahn with Nav
      06-09-2014 11:12 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by REDGLI2012 View Post
      I believe the M3 but I HIGHLY doubt the ariel atom. ive seen those on the track with other cars and they are like go karts. im not calling you a liar but from what ive seen personally and know what the supercharged Si motor ariel atom can do im highly doubting that accusation my friend.

other than that this GLI looks amazing and look forward to the future mods and updates Wednesday my friend
      Was Helen Keller driving the atom? lol
      I just want a girl to trip in front of me so I can say finally say bitches be trippin and have it be literal.

27. 06-09-2014 11:20 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by jshay View Post
      Curious on why you chose to put a GTI sub frame on
      The factory subframe is stamped steel with stamped steel control arms. The biggest issue is that the control arms have two bushings and the rear bushing is a vertical bushing instead of horizontal. There are very few aftermarket bushing options for the rear bushing for good reason. The stiffer that bushing gets and it will actually prevent the control arm from moving up and down as needed. The gti, audis, and ttrs all have control arms with the horizontal bushings. By switching subframes it allows me to run upgraded control arms that are lighter, stiffer, better movement, and stiffer bushings. Additionally, the control arm is made of aluminum which is much lighter and stiffer. It will not flex like steel will. All the way around it is a major upgrade and quite honestly a major screw up on vw's part. They really crapped on our cars to give us this stamped steel bull crap.

28. 06-09-2014 11:24 PM #29
      The factory subframe is stamped steel with stamped steel control arms. The biggest issue is that the control arms have two bushings and the rear bushing is a vertical bushing instead of horizontal. There are very few aftermarket bushing options for the rear bushing for good reason. The stiffer that bushing gets and it will actually prevent the control arm from moving up and down as needed. The gti, audis, and ttrs all have control arms with the horizontal bushings. By switching subframes it allows me to run upgraded control arms that are lighter, stiffer, better movement, and stiffer bushings. Additionally, the control arm is made of aluminum which is much lighter and stiffer. It will not flex like steel will. All the way around it is a major upgrade and quite honestly a major screw up on vw's part. They really crapped on our cars to give us this stamped steel bull crap.
      How much did the subframe and control arm swap cost you?

Vehicles
      2012 MKVI Jetta
      06-09-2014 11:28 PM #30
      Ah great writeup. I may be looking into this as I have noticed the lack on control arm options for our cars.

Any reason you went with H&R clubsports over the Bilstein, KW, Eibach, etc?
      IG: all_things_bbj
      My F23T GLI Build Thread

Vehicles
      Vw jetta gli mk6 cw.Vw golf mk1 . Vw golf mk4 gls . Vw jetta s mk5
      06-09-2014 11:50 PM #31
      Ur living all our dreams lol

Vehicles
      '14 VW GLI DSG. The Wifes ride/family wagon. '14 AUDI SQ5 Prestige.
      06-10-2014 04:38 AM #32
      Because Race Car!

32. 06-10-2014 07:22 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by gk2014gli View Post
      How much did the subframe and control arm swap cost you?
      The subframe I found on ebay for $250. The control arms were $599 from ngp racing. Tyrol seat set kit is highly recommended for the hardware. $209. All said and done I will have about $6 grand in suspension components alone on the car.

33. 06-10-2014 07:29 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by jshay View Post
      Ah great writeup. I may be looking into this as I have noticed the lack on control arm options for our cars.

Any reason you went with H&R clubsports over the Bilstein, KW, Eibach, etc?
      I was planning on running the kW v3 coilovers but I kept getting convinced by every enthusiast and professional at multiple racing companies that the clubsports were the way to go. Considering my daily driver is an s8 I am not really concerned on making the gli too uncomfortable. The clubsport have a heavier spring rate making them better on the track. They do not have adjustability but that is really only a problem if you want your spring to be soft for the road and aggressive for the track.

With all that being said, I don't think I am building an undriveable GLI either. I am sure the ride is going to be stiffer but I imagine it will be in a good way. If anyone has ever driven an m3 on here you'll know what I mean by that. It's like you feel connected to the car and one with the road-almost as if you are running the palm of your hand on the road to feel every detail. I am convinced this is because of the density of bushings and overall balance of the car.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta 1.8t..RIP. 2012 GTI 4dr DSG base
      06-10-2014 07:52 AM #35
      Curious to hear your impressions once everything is installed.
      2012 GTI, 4-door, DSG, Deep Black Pearl Metallic, Base Model.
      APR K04 Turbo: APR Downpipe: APR Intake Stg-1: APR FMIC: HPA DSG Stage-2:
      Neuspeed Turbo Outlet & TB Pipes: GoFastBits DV+: R32 Belly Pan: Focal IFVW Speakers
      OEM LED Tinted Tail Lights - no fog: Parts4Euro tinted fender markers: Vag-Com mods

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast