VWVortex.com - My Mk1 Scirocco S (An Introduction and Future Build thread)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Mk1 Scirocco S (An Introduction and Future Build thread)

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Cobra
      06-19-2014 12:45 AM #1
      Hey guys, Introducing myself in the Mk1 forum since I never really did before. I've been posting in the Scirocco forum since I bought the car but never really made updates or a thread. And since that forum is filled with weirdos who generally dislike anything thats not stock I'd rather post here for feedback and tips.

I own a 1981 Scirocco S in Mars Red. I bought the car about 2 years ago as a mostly stock, well kept and maintained car. It wasn't 100% original as the previous owner had done some light restoring and replacement as the car sat for a long time and was subject to some questionable work.

Summary of when I bought it:
      1.8L 8v HT
      4-1 Header (unknown)
      Neuspeed Sport springs w/ Bilstein Sports
      ATE rotors and Mintex pads
      Euro H1/H4 headlights
      Zender Rear spoiler
      Momo Monte Carlo wheel
      Recovered stock interior

For the first 3 months I just drove the car as is. It was such a great driving car and I still wasn't sure what my goals were so I held off on buying parts.

But eventually the mod bug set in and I purchased a set of Ground Control coilover sleeves for a bit more low and stiffer spring setup. This also gave me a chance to fix the current strut mounts which were not sitting correctly.

A friend let me test fit a set of Equip reps so we could get an idea of what kind of fitment I wanted.

Then I picked up a pretty cool NOS piece. A genuine Abarth exhaust from about 30 years ago built for Mk1's. It was a full catback exhaust (midpipe not pictured)

Then I scored a set of 15x7 4x100 Borbet Type A's off craigslist.

They were a little bit faded and the stock silver was a bit boring so I decide to strip em down and refinish to polished lips with white centers. And I fitted some meat summer tires. 195/50 BFG Sport Comp 2's.

With the addition of the exhaust, wheels and various suspension pieces I finally felt like the car was becoming my own months into ownership.

Found a set of center caps for the borbets to complete them and took the car to a small local show where I ended up placing first in the limbo and the show somehow.

Then that pretty much held me off for a little bit.

Tried some more wheels.

Then I had a change of location for a bit over a year and moved to LA for work.

Got to drive the legendary Mulholland Road

Got tired of the Borbets so I sold them and bought a set of 15x8 steelies

And I bought some Ultralows because the ground controls were just too harsh and not low enough.
      And found a set of Maserati Biturbo wheels to wobble on.

Which basically where I'm at now.

What's in store?

This fully rebuilt 0 mile 2.0 16v.

Going to do cam's and mild work to bump up the power as well as use the new 4-1 header I bought and my Techtonics Borla exhaust which has replaced the Abarth as of 6 months ago. I'll be running CIS to keep it simple initially but long term is convert to ITB's and Megasquirt. But the main problem is California smog, so I'm looking for ways to bypass that mumbo jumbo.
      I'm a little sad to get rid of the 8v as it's been such a super reliable engine surprisingly and it's actually pretty quick compared to my friends cars. But the 16v swap is something I've wanted since I bought the car.
      I've also got a rear disc beam conversion and Girling 54 calipers that will all be freshly rebuilt with new parts to accompany the engine.
      Essentially the whole drivetrain is going to be new and awesome.

This thread probably won't have much progress for a little bit as I'm still looking for a replacement daily. Hoping to start it all the around end of this month.

If anyone has any advice for the swap I'm all ears.

Thanks for reading!
      Last edited by mellbergVWfan; 06-19-2014 at 06:50 PM.
      Demokratikally Elekted Director of Espionage and Identity Theft and Minister of post-progressive-technical-melodic-avant-garde-metal for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      My 16v Swap thread
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Oh mellberg is cool, but his car certainly isn't helping that happen.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      MK1 GTI, '95 Golf 2.0T
      06-19-2014 12:53 AM #2
      the current look. Heading in the right direction.

06-19-2014 01:14 AM #3
      I'll be watching...

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Cobra
      06-23-2014 09:59 PM #4
      No updates. I tried to fit a cheap exhaust tip I got but it just looked like crap so I'm sticking with the stock Techtonics tip until I take it to a shop to get a quality part welded on. But I did give the car a nice clay and waxing then went for a drive and took some photos with a few friends over the weekend.

Demokratikally Elekted Director of Espionage and Identity Theft and Minister of post-progressive-technical-melodic-avant-garde-metal for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      My 16v Swap thread

Vehicles
      1987 16v scirocco
      06-23-2014 11:31 PM #5
      Looking good
      Old sciroccos never die....they just go faster....sometimes.......
      www.ziggituning.com

My Project...

Vehicles
      1979 16v mk1 scirocco, 1978 scirocco race car (16vt build )
      06-25-2014 11:34 PM #6
      I had a mars red
      Beautiful color

Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b
      06-29-2014 10:58 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by mellbergVWfan View Post
      Hey guys, Introducing myself in the Mk1 forum since I never really did before. I've been posting in the Scirocco forum since I bought the car but never really made updates or a thread. And since that forum is filled with weirdos who generally dislike anything thats not stock I'd rather post here for feedback and tips.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Vehicles
      A1, A3, OB
      06-30-2014 01:52 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Mtl-Marc View Post
      You know it's true
      |CHA BOI|KHROME|RIMZOS|
      |Instagram: DEMRIMZ|

|my build|

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Cobra
      06-30-2014 02:03 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Mtl-Marc View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by upoo2 View Post
      You know it's true
      There's a quite a few good folk in there but the adage about rocco owners is mostly true haha.

That and Sciroccohal is enough to make anyone not come back.

Nothing new to report but I did make my goal of buying a new car before the end of this month. I'll post some pics tomorrow. It's not a VW.
      My 16v Swap thread

Vehicles
      86 Scirocco 16v, 2010 Golf TDI
      06-30-2014 08:37 AM #10
      I love this car.

I wish you could go carbs, Cali sucks for emissions
      Build thread
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...y-new-Scirocco
      http://instagram.com/promk1ng Follow me on Instagram @ Promk1ng PLEASE BE MY FRIEND

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Cobra
      07-02-2014 08:50 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by prom king View Post
      I love this car.

I wish you could go carbs, Cali sucks for emissions
      Same, but there's always hope. I can either just say **** it and ignore emissions or find one of the various loopholes. I'm staying CIS initially for simplicity sake and to just get the car back as quick as I can.

And here's the replacement daily.

Hope to start making real progress on the rocco now that I don't have to drive it everyday.

My 16v Swap thread

Vehicles
      '83 Rabbit Gti Callaway Stage I, '81 Scirocco, '83 Scirocco Callaway Stage II
      07-25-2014 10:28 PM #12
      How did the cat back Abarth exhaust fit? I went ahead with a Techtonics cat back, however, with a Magnaflow stainless muffler. Sounds good but it sounds tinny in front of the cat and flex pipe.

I like what you have going on with the Mk1.

Jim
      Jim
      1983 Rabbit Gti Callaway Stage I, 83 Scirocco Callaway Stage II, 81 Scirocco
      1979 Scirocco Limited Edition - back from the dead
      Callaway Rabbit GTI build

13. Member
      Vehicles
      84 GTI, 83 caddy, 13'CC, 87 cabby
      07-25-2014 10:35 PM #13
      This thing is gorgeous! Makes me miss my 81 rocco that I got rid of
      Piss poor preparation promotes problems!!

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Cobra
      07-28-2014 06:08 PM #14
      Finally made some progress over the weekend. I ordered a bunch of parts last week and I'm still waiting on them to arrive but I removed the 8v and all the engine accessories. The only thing left in the bay and front end is the wiring and some vacuum hoses and the steering rack.

I still need to get a clutch and flywheel for my 2Y trans. I ordered a 80% shim kit from Parts4VW's but Kristin said they may have sold their last one and was gonna check. So might have to get one from another source.

Gonna start cleaning up the bay this week and trying to sort through the wiring deleting the stuff I dont need and want. (AC and radio things maybe.) I'd like to add some auxillary gauges to monitor the engine better and give it a more motorsport look. I'll probably 3D print myself a Custom filler panel to delete the radio and HVAC panels.

Still a long way to go but I'm feeling more confident now that the engine is out.

My 16v Swap thread

Vehicles
      VW
      07-28-2014 06:14 PM #15
      Love the look. 16v carbs would be awesome in that thing.

Vehicles
      3 Volkswagens!
      07-28-2014 07:32 PM #16
      ****ing awesome!
      Vamped Tuning!

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Cobra
      07-30-2014 03:33 PM #17
      Parts have started to arrive.

Also Parts4VW was able to locate me an 80% shim kit so I'll be installing that with my USRT Lightweight Flywheel and Smart Shift kit when those arrive as well.

Still waiting on more brake and bearing parts so I can rebuild the calipers and the disc rear beam I have sitting in my yard. I'm hoping my work schedule will be light next week so I can get a ton done during the week and get the engine in next weekend.
      Last edited by mellbergVWfan; 07-30-2014 at 03:56 PM.
      My 16v Swap thread

Vehicles
      86 Scirocco 16v, 2010 Golf TDI
      07-30-2014 09:05 PM #18
      Build thread
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...y-new-Scirocco
      http://instagram.com/promk1ng Follow me on Instagram @ Promk1ng PLEASE BE MY FRIEND

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Cobra
      08-06-2014 03:21 AM #19
      Making some more progress. Nothing huge yet. Still just removing things and cleaning. No pics but my rear beam is all apart and ready to start being rebuilt and repainted as well as the front calipers.

Decided to remove AC and heat since it was borderline useless anyways. Also not going to reinstall the radio since I want to install some nice auxilliary gauges in the DIN spot. Going for a very minimalistic vibe with this whole rebuild. Functional weightloss but still clean looking and not just stripped out.

The bay is starting to get a bit cleaner after a lot of degreaser and scrubbing.

Last edited by mellbergVWfan; 08-06-2014 at 03:26 AM.
      My 16v Swap thread

Vehicles
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      08-06-2014 09:35 AM #20
      Nothing like a good S1 S. And I was a Scirocco weirdo. I reformed.
      DCIVW
      CE.

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Cobra
      08-20-2014 01:54 AM #21
      Still don't have any cool updates yet. Progress has been slow due to having to work most of the past few weekends and parts set backs. Still don't have a flywheel due to a number of vendors being out of stock then not telling me until I'd already been waiting a few days. So I can't even get the engine in the car but its just giving me more time to prep everything more carefully. My original plan was to try and make it to Waterwerks this weekend but with that completely out of the bag I'm just gonna finish at my own pace and do it right.

Brakes have been rebuilt and I'm waiting on new hardware to bolt the beam together with all the new parts. Been stripping and refinishing a number of other parts, including the front sway/crossmember, motor mounts and the super greasy 2Y trans. I'm was gonna strip it clean and go with a heavy gloss black but after taking a wire brush it's inspired me to try and get it super clean and shiny with the brush and then do a high temp clear engine enamel to go for the almost polished trans look. If the clear doesnt work well I'll be torn between silver and black.

The new valve cover.

My Stereo DIN replacement gauges. The watertemp one will either be used for oil temp (have to check if the current sender is compatible with the range) or I'll just reuse the OEM oil temp one instead. Don't need 2 watertemp gauges.

This was after a lot of oven cleaner and scrubbing already. This thing was absolutely filthy. Not sure how it got so bad.

Oven cleaner is amazing at cutting grease.

After a bit of wirebrushing.

Crossmember before wirebrushing and painting.

Crossmember/sway and motor mount being painted. (all the same color.) Hoping the color will show up well when it's in the bay.

My 16v Swap thread

Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b
      08-20-2014 06:25 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by mellbergVWfan View Post
      My Stereo DIN replacement gauges. The watertemp one will either be used for oil temp (have to check if the current sender is compatible with the range) or I'll just reuse the OEM oil temp one instead. Don't need 2 watertemp gauges.

Where did you get the gauge panel?

Going with a radio delete on my S1 as well.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

23. 08-20-2014 08:40 AM #23
      Looking good.

Vehicles
      1998 Golf GTI, 1968 Beetle, 1999 Jeep Wrangler, 1974 Suzuki TS125, 2003 Passat GLX
      08-25-2014 01:24 AM #24
      in
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      I’m not judgmental, so when I see a person push the wrong pedal, I never assume what gender she is.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Vehicles
      2000 Cabrio 2.0 \ 2013 FRS
      08-29-2014 01:30 PM #25
      Nice. looking forward to seeing it scream at 9k RPM

With the Megasquirt system, tuning ITBs is a b****, so watch that. Depending on how CA does smog testing I can give you some tips on tuning as long as they don't do the OBD port scan. Try running on e85 for the test. Your can wire in a flex fuel to MS3x to help with the change over between. Plus you'll get some more power Burns super clean.

Which pistons are you going with on the 2.0 block?

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast