VWVortex.com - What to replace a Viper with? | EJOL 'Evil Jack-o-lantern' Build thread |
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What to replace a Viper with? | EJOL 'Evil Jack-o-lantern' Build thread |

Vehicles
      '13 BMW 750i, '16 Mustang GT PP, '13 Viper GTS
      06-23-2014 11:33 PM #1
      So I went back n forth on what to replace my gen 3 coupe with after its demise about a month ago. You can read about that here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...e-a-tractor***.

During that time I was all over the place. Do I want another toy and keep the Passat as the daily? Is the Passat getting old in the tooth and going to break down on me anyday--maybe its time to flip it and move on... I thought about consolidating it to one fast/luxury car, maybe a used TT CLS63, hmm, there went a few days of daydreams, then i moved onto RS5s, from that I started looking at the latest XKR refresh, and slowly but surely I had covered every damn performance oriented luxury car worth mentioning, SL63s, V8 Vantages, 911s, Z06s, C7s, Cobra kit cars, Gt500s, etc. Hell I almost ordered a 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C, utter madness. I got to the point were i would go on cars.com and just go down every single make and try to get something to jump out at me that I may have overlooked. After a month of playing myself about what i really wanted, I would sit there ready to buy, but I could never actually bring myself to purchase something else. Could i take the gamble on something else, what if i missed the speed, the indestructible feel, the look, the cache the Viper brought with it everywhere it went...

So back to the burning question; What to replace a viper with? Well another Viper of course

The insurance came through and basically paid me 10 grand to drive the last one for a year so I figured i'd leverage the payday and go on and step into that 4th gen I couldn't quite swing a year back. I knew the exact car I wanted, it was local to me, it was one of my 2 favorite viper colors (snakeskin green is the other), and happens to be one of the rarest colors for a viper period, only offered for one year, VVO, or Viper Very Orange. Its a 3 stage orange pearl, reminiscent of Arancio Borealis (lamborghini orange). Its a got a gold pearl flake in it, and in the sun it is utterly breathtaking (subjective). It's a hard color to photograph but in person it just looks properly exotic. So without further ado here are a few pics of the Evil Jack-o-lantern from this weekend;

2008 Viper 'Very Orange' SRT-10
      5400 miles
      8.4L V10 640hp

The car has a completely different feel to it than the previous coupe. Its deceiving because minus the hood, they look identical, inside and out, but from the moment you hit the start button you can tell you're in something a bit different than the previous gen. Those not familiar with the differences between the 3rd and 4th gen coupes ('06 vs '08-10), i'll try to spit out what I can remember off the top of my head;

• Engine grows in size through increased bore to 8.4 from 8.3L, compression bumped to 10.2:1 from 9.6:1, picks up variable valve timing (cam phaser), and doesn't share a single component with the previous V10. Output is rated at 600hp, but is underrated with dynos showing 640hp+. Dual throttle bodies with a move drive-by-wire, new heads, hollow stem intake valves, pistons get larger diameter wrist pins and bronze bushings, cross bolted main bearings, and a larger oil pump with a swinging pickup (from the comp coupes).
      • Brakes are same size but use different rotors with revised calipers (piston size grows)
      • T56 is tossed in favor of a TR6060
      • Improved shifter
      • Clutch is now a twin disk unit
      • Bigger fuel pump
      • Cooling system upgrades
      • Dana M44-4 rear with GKN Visco-Lok Diff (huge improvement from the previous lsd)
      • No more runflats, moved to Michelin Pilot Super Sports
      • Springs rates changed (stiffer), shocks tuned for slightly stiffer jounce
      • Stiffer front anti roll bar
      • Camber and caster increases front and rear
      • New hood design (better aero, better cooling, looks sick). Frontal drag cd lowered to 0.382

The car is amazing to drive, plain and simple. Everything just feels more refined--if you can use that term in a viper. The clutch is lighter, the shifter is direct and a pleasure to snick from gate to gate, the motor is much much smoother both at idle and in general operation (the car even sounds different). The power band is insane. At first it didnt feel much, if any, faster than my previous bolt on gen 3 (i think its mostly the gearing, which is back to 3.07 from the 3.55s i had in the previous coupe) when i was just getting into it at lower rpms around town. But i finally got to do some real top end pulls and holy shiet, past 5k rpm in 3rd and 4th it pulls so much harder than the old car theres no way it would of been any kind of a race from a roll on. You know that feeling in most cars when you start to get deep into the triple digits where it just seems like the car is just making noise and you're sitting there watching the tach creep? Yeah, you never get any of that. Its relentless, just keeps building and building power till redline, feels like if there wasnt a fuel cutoff it'd happily pull you into the stratosphere until the rotating assembly came apart into a fiery mess at 7k+. It is without a doubt, a 202mph car from the factory as claimed. If only my balls were big enough to allow my right foot to stay on the skinny pedal for the requisite amount of time.

What don't I like? Well, the drive by wire, it sucks, bad. I really miss the instant throttle response in the old car. I mean i heard the viper guys complain about it but good lord, its bad, like a noticeable latency between your right foot and what the motor is doing. I felt like a newb driving the car around the first day. Bucking it from stoplights, overreving downshifts, etc. It was downright embarrassing. Now I've gotten used to it, and pretty soon I'll probably forget the differences all together, but the first time i took it for spin i definitely longed for that tb to be connected to my right foot with a cable. And, in true viper fashion, like clockwork, the window regulator on the passenger side made a loud *POP* and is starting to make noise in operation. But do i really give a squirt? Nah, i just go for spin and all is right with the world

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      06-23-2014 11:42 PM #2
      Yes, love it even more. Glad you are ok, really glad. It's gorgeous!
      I feel like this has all happened before.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Vehicles
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      06-23-2014 11:47 PM #3
      Dude that is awesome. Congrats.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      01 A4, many other vw's/audi's
      06-23-2014 11:48 PM #4
      Read your other thread on your previous Viper. Glad you're ok and glad to see you picked up another one. Great color choice.

06-23-2014 11:52 PM #5
      AWESOME

glad you stayed with the 'same' car. Such a unique vehicle.

Congrats
      "Non è baciare il muro che mi preoccupa. E' farci l'amore che mi spaventa un pò" M. Alboreto

O|||||||O

Vehicles
      Lowered Outback, SVX, GMC Sierra
      06-23-2014 11:54 PM #6
      Wow that looks amazing.

Vehicles
      Some American, British, German, and a bunch of Japanese.
      06-23-2014 11:56 PM #7
      That's a purchase of epic proportions! Congrats!!
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Vehicles
      Heavy Breathing Baboon Hauler
      06-24-2014 12:07 AM #8
      Glad to see an awful situation resolved with a nice upgrade.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

Vehicles
      06-24-2014 12:37 AM #9
      Thank you for all the love!

So I thought i'd throw up a few pics from the day i picked her up. I bought her from a local exotic car dealer (happens to be one of, if not the biggest Viper dealers in the world, BJ Motors). The owner actually bought the car for himself and not to resell it, so he had already started doing a few little upgrades. The car has KW Variant 3 coilovers from an ACR, the gen 5 viper sidewinder wheels, and a Borla catback. All things that I would have done as well, so they were a welcome inclusion (especially the KW v3s @ $5k). I'm usually not a fan of black wheels in general, but it just works on this car with the orange, and I am going to keep them. I did however order a small spacer (3/8") for the rears to bring them flush, the offset just isn't aggressive enough for me in the rear. The fronts look perfect however.

No pretty pics this time, just straight from the potato cam.

Home sweet home;

10. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-24-2014 12:50 AM #10
      Wow.

All I can say is:

1) Excellent choice. You were far from done with your Viper story--this is the right way to keep going.
      2) America. F**k yeah.

Vehicles
      06-24-2014 01:03 AM #11
      I did do a few tiny tweaks over the weekend;

Installed the custom carbon fiber side sills I found in the trunk (free mods are the best mods) and I put the MGW shift knob, MGW cup holder trim ring, and Lloyds mats in (the only 3 items that were salvaged from the previous coupe).

Prepping the area;

Install;

Before;

After;

All that hard work in the morning was rewarded by some crepes from a local place in midtown (Coco's Crepes), highly recommended if you are ever in the HTX area.

She also got a chance to attend her first car meet at the HPD Twin Peaks cruise in;

Basically, it was exactly the type of weekend I had been missing for the last month + :thumbsup:

Vehicles
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      06-24-2014 01:19 AM #12
      Damn, I had just finished looking through your old thread and then I saw this! I think you made a good decision, and this new one is even better than the old one. If you get a chance, I'd love to see you try and get some photos of the gold flake in the paint!

I am a little sad that you didn't go for a 4C though...
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

Vehicles
      '97 T4r & an F-GS Thumper w/ 650cc of pure Austrian Powwa!
      06-24-2014 03:20 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Damn, I had just finished looking through your old thread and then I saw this!
      x2

slowhatch, I was in TOTAL Shock when I came to the page on your last thread with the incident.. I almost shed some serious 'Merican ass kickin tears.

So glad to see youve been able to keep the passion a blaze. Car looks great, keep up the obsession.

"Wang Wang, Doughnut Mode" - Andreas Preuninger

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Cobra
      06-24-2014 03:30 AM #14
      In. Love the new color.

I don't think I've ever seen a Viper with those Gen 5 wheels before. They look great.

Are you gonna do any of the same mods you did to the old car?
      Last edited by mellbergVWfan; 06-24-2014 at 03:33 AM.
      Demokratikally Elekted Director of Espionage and Identity Theft and Minister of post-progressive-technical-melodic-avant-garde-metal for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      My 16v Swap thread
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Oh mellberg is cool, but his car certainly isn't helping that happen.

Vehicles
      2008 A4 S-Line Titanium QTM, 2000 A4 QTM, 1993 Audi 90S (sold), 1992 Toyota Corolla
      06-24-2014 06:59 AM #15
      Major congrats man! I was so sad about your loss but glad that you were ok... then THIS!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome! The Viper has always been one of my favorite cars and is perpetually on my short list. Enjoy!
      Unf*ckwithable

Vehicles
      '15 STI & '16 R
      06-24-2014 07:09 AM #16
      Wow, orange looks amazing. Congrats!

Vehicles
      1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata
      06-24-2014 08:04 AM #17
      HHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

That color is absolutely fantastic! Congrats on the purchase, I'm so glad your Viper story isn't over, you make the best threads. Can't wait to see the progress on this one!

The snake is dead, long live the snake
      ♪ Let's just drive, I wanna see what the wind does to your hair ♪

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      06-24-2014 08:29 AM #18
      Awesome. Keep us posted as you continue to live with this car.

Vehicles
      2002 Glx Wagon, 2016 Jetta Sport 5sp w/ Lighting Package
      06-24-2014 08:46 AM #19
      Beautiful car

Vehicles
      MY16 VW Golf 1.4 TSI R-Line (prev. owner: VW AG, Wolfsburg)
      06-24-2014 08:50 AM #20
      This is a very attractive car especially from this angle and with that lowering. The front is also tons better looking than on the new model.

But crazy to think that your previous car would've been saved with ESP.

06-24-2014 08:56 AM #21
      Couldn't just stop at 1, huh?

And for your sake, I hope your Twin Peaks is better staffed than the ghetto Atlanta one. Went once....never going again
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Buy my wife's old laptop!

06-24-2014 08:58 AM #22
      Good taste in food(crepes FTW!) and auto. Love that color and those wheels. Surely a true blast.
      '86 Jaguar xj-s 5.3HE coupe, cobalt blue metallic/blue
      '04 Jaguar x-type 3.0 saloon, platinum metallic/charcoal
      '96 Toyota Corolla, green/tan
      Bisixually disposed, lucas charged and coventry clothed

23. 06-24-2014 09:03 AM #23
      After litterally gasping when your old thread popped up yesterday, I'm gasping a happy gasp at this one! It's BEAUTIFUL!
      Quote Originally Posted by Internal Combustion View Post
      Not sure if serious, so I'll put it in terms you can understand: your and idiot.

Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Vehicles
      '14 Chevy Volt All black / 2001 Camaro SS M6 T-Top Black on Black
      06-24-2014 09:22 AM #24
      Awesome replacement. I dont think I would be able to get another car after a viper either. Not anywhere in the vicinity of the same price range at least.

I would black out the rear diffuser area. I wish I could get $10k for a depreciable asset after an accident. Good luck with the new one.

25. 06-24-2014 09:27 AM #25
      Congrats, very nice, fantastic color! Glad to see that turned out well!

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast