Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: AWIC setup mounting location

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Jetta 1.8t; '75 Chevy Nova SS
      06-24-2014 09:15 PM #1
      So I have been reading alot into the AWIC setups and am being more persuaded towards one than my current FMIC, thanks to Marcus_Aurelius thread. My main question is how well would the Type 9 AWIC from FrozenBoost fit in the stock SMIC location on a Jetta? Dimensions are 11x9x3.5 of the AWIC and i know the stock SMIC dimensions are 7.25x8x3.5. I have done some preliminary measuring and it looks like it would be a tight fit but would work. I was wondering if anyone had done this prior and could give some insight. Thanks.

http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...8fb1bc34a6a3d5
      2004 Jetta GLS; 3" Eurojet TB exhaust; EuroSport FMIC; R1 DV; 42DD Velocity stack; Diesel Geek short shifter; 42DD catch can, GTT Annihilator, 550cc Genesis injectors, DW65V fuel pump, ECS upgraded drilled/slotted TT front rotors, BFI stage 1 mounts. Future goals: SEM driver's side intake, 70mm throttle body, Peloquins LSD, Type 3 AWIC, Type 101 radiator, Snow Performance Stage 2 W/M injection with direct port injection, IE drop in rods.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      06-24-2014 09:20 PM #2
      If I were to do it all over again I would love to put an AWIC where the factory air box is and the radiator where the SMIC normally is (or perhaps on the driver side SMIC). That way the turbo piping would be super super short when combined with a driver's side throttle body.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

3. Member
      Vehicles
      06-24-2014 09:26 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by groggory View Post
      If I were to do it all over again I would love to put an AWIC where the factory air box is and the radiator where the SMIC normally is (or perhaps on the driver side SMIC). That way the turbo piping would be super super short when combined with a driver's side throttle body.
      Well my current piping is ridiculously long due to being the stealth look, so even if i keep the main piping to the stock SMIC location the piping wouldn't be terribly long.
      I have seen those setups with the AWIC where the air box was and look like a great way to do it, but i still have passenger side throttle body.
      2004 Jetta GLS; 3" Eurojet TB exhaust; EuroSport FMIC; R1 DV; 42DD Velocity stack; Diesel Geek short shifter; 42DD catch can, GTT Annihilator, 550cc Genesis injectors, DW65V fuel pump, ECS upgraded drilled/slotted TT front rotors, BFI stage 1 mounts. Future goals: SEM driver's side intake, 70mm throttle body, Peloquins LSD, Type 3 AWIC, Type 101 radiator, Snow Performance Stage 2 W/M injection with direct port injection, IE drop in rods.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      06-24-2014 09:47 PM #4
      Go get a drivers side sem then
      My Build

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      06-25-2014 12:18 AM #5
      That's about $700 to $800 i don't have right now. And i can sell my current setup and with a little more money have the AWIC so maybe down the road. I want to save up for rods before the intake since that will be able to help me really push other parts of my car a little harder.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      06-25-2014 12:27 AM #6
      Try out the other way then

I bet you can make it work
      My Build

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '13 335is, '85 Golf, '12 48 sportster xl1200
      06-25-2014 02:58 AM #7
      That type 9 is far far too small of a heat exchanger.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      What vegeta said.
      GTS Dealer.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      06-25-2014 09:58 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti View Post
      That type 9 is far far too small of a heat exchanger.

Really? Even for my GTT. My end goal is around 350WHP so according to the sites numbers this should do it. I am far from pushing the system yet but just preparing for future goals.

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta Wolfsburg 20vT, 1994 Dusty Mauve Jetta 8v (sold)
      06-25-2014 02:43 PM #9
      Yeah, food for thought: IC HP figures are 1) estimates based on flow @ an acceptable pressure drop and 2) crank #s, not wheel #s. Of course, pump flow and IC system water volume are extremely important variables that shouldn't be ignored. Example: a "700 HP" AWIC will not perform well/consistently with an inadequate pump and/or low IC coolant volume. The type 9 might do it for you if you have a nice pump and large reservoir, but I don't have any personal experience with AWIC systems. Vegeta and Max do, though
      -Derek
      APR 93 | ITG | MMEvoDV | 034 Silicone + Catch Can | EuroSport 2.5" DP | BFI Stg 1 | BKR7EIX | NewSouth | VCDS | Bentley

Stock(ish) been there, done that.

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta Wolfsburg 20vT, 1994 Dusty Mauve Jetta 8v (sold)
      06-25-2014 02:49 PM #10
      FWIW- intuition tells me that maxing out an IC with a flamethrower k04 hybrid is probably not the best way to go
      -Derek
      APR 93 | ITG | MMEvoDV | 034 Silicone + Catch Can | EuroSport 2.5" DP | BFI Stg 1 | BKR7EIX | NewSouth | VCDS | Bentley

Stock(ish) been there, done that.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      06-25-2014 05:06 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by suffocatemymind View Post
      Yeah, food for thought: IC HP figures are 1) estimates based on flow @ an acceptable pressure drop and 2) crank #s, not wheel #s. Of course, pump flow and IC system water volume are extremely important variables that shouldn't be ignored. Example: a "700 HP" AWIC will not perform well/consistently with an inadequate pump and/or low IC coolant volume. The type 9 might do it for you if you have a nice pump and large reservoir, but I don't have any personal experience with AWIC systems. Vegeta and Max do, though
      I see where u are coming from. I would plan on using a Cobra pump and have 3/4" lines with a OEM coolant ball for the reservoir and the Type 115 heat exchanger placed up front for max cooling. I don't know how much volume that would hold nor do I know what the required volume would need to be. Also FWIW, I plan on doing a w/m kit along with direct port injection later on down the road after I do rods and start to push the system.

Vegeta would this still be too small with those potential add-ons?

Vehicles
      06-25-2014 05:21 PM #12
      The largest. . The 115 or 117 is what I Irondale used and it was OK for 20psi on a 3071r with no other mods but as soon as I turned up to 25 and added the sem. It was done.

I'm running a much larger exchanger now. You can't be cool enough. The cobra pump is a must. I haven't read about a reservoir so I assume you're closed system. With that. . Add Coolant at the high point. . Run. . Add. .. Run. Check monthly.

Anyway. .. it takes longer to great soak but longer to cool off as well. I have mine in front like afmic.. But because it isn't as thick it fits very easily in my mk1 lol.

:HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      What vegeta said.
      GTS Dealer.

Vehicles
      06-25-2014 05:22 PM #13
      I'm using 5/8 lines. Cobra pump. Custom Cooler coreabd I'll link my heat exchanger

What vegeta said.
      GTS Dealer.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      06-25-2014 06:30 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti View Post
      The largest. . The 115 or 117 is what I Irondale used and it was OK for 20psi on a 3071r with no other mods but as soon as I turned up to 25 and added the sem. It was done.

I'm running a much larger exchanger now. You can't be cool enough. The cobra pump is a must. I haven't read about a reservoir so I assume you're closed system. With that. . Add Coolant at the high point. . Run. . Add. .. Run. Check monthly.

Anyway. .. it takes longer to great soak but longer to cool off as well. I have mine in front like afmic.. But because it isn't as thick it fits very easily in my mk1 lol.

This whole system is still in planning. I am trying to slightly tweak what Marcus_Aurelius did in his setup with the TT, however; I don't have a driver side intake. He used an OEM coolant ball as a reservoir for a while it looked like, before adding another reservoir. I think with just the coolant ball he had pretty good results. He did have a bigger AWIC as well though.

So something like the Type 117 would be more ideal? and what was your AWIC that you were using?

15. 06-25-2014 09:13 PM #15
      The thing you have to factor is my system was designed to shine primarily at autocross. I had a relatively small heat exchanger but a lot of fluid volume (especially when I added the large rear mounted aluminum reservoir that also doubled as a heat sink). I also had an oversized pulling fan continuously working at moving a lot of CFM over the smallish exchanger.

For a street car, I would definitely recommend a bigger exchanger (if not the biggest one you can practically get away with), and look for much higher efficiency in longer stints at WOT. It'll save you from needing so much fluid volume in the system, and having to run a big fan on the exchanger. When I ran with only a coolant ball as a reservoir, I also had extra long and looping lines to add fluid volume (close to 4 gal total).

Have you considered running a twin pump or a bilge pump to allow more fluid flow? I think that good fluid flow is important if you don't have a monster exchanger, and was next on my list of upgrades before having to move away from AWIC due to SCCA class restrictions.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

16. Member
      Vehicles
      06-26-2014 09:41 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Aurelius View Post
      The thing you have to factor is my system was designed to shine primarily at autocross. I had a relatively small heat exchanger but a lot of fluid volume (especially when I added the large rear mounted aluminum reservoir that also doubled as a heat sink). I also had an oversized pulling fan continuously working at moving a lot of CFM over the smallish exchanger.

For a street car, I would definitely recommend a bigger exchanger (if not the biggest one you can practically get away with), and look for much higher efficiency in longer stints at WOT. It'll save you from needing so much fluid volume in the system, and having to run a big fan on the exchanger. When I ran with only a coolant ball as a reservoir, I also had extra long and looping lines to add fluid volume (close to 4 gal total).

Have you considered running a twin pump or a bilge pump to allow more fluid flow? I think that good fluid flow is important if you don't have a monster exchanger, and was next on my list of upgrades before having to move away from AWIC due to SCCA class restrictions.
      Thank you for your input Marcus. Your project is what has inspired me to take this on so i am still learning quite a bit about it. This is going on my DD so it's not going to take tons of beatings.

So in regards to the intercooler, would the Type 9 still be good enough? If not, I might have to put off doing this project for a while until i can get a driver's side intake. Then I could get a bigger intercooler and have shorter ran charge lines. I think i would have quite the amount of volume as well considering in would be going with 3/4" lines everywhere, and my plan was to put the coolant ball where the air box used to be. Then put the pump beneath that, and have the intercooler on the passenger side SMIC location and then loop the lines back to the exchanger mounted in the front of the car and then have that go back to the coolant ball. Not sure if that would be close to your 4 gallons but i think that would be quite a bit. And if I go with the Type 117 exchanger would that be decent enough? http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...0851df6b89c3b7

I haven't considered running 2 pumps yet. I think it would be easier to just go with a bigger heat exchanger for simplicity and also money wise considering it seems like people are having to get pumps cuz they wear out.

Vehicles
      06-26-2014 01:59 PM #17
      Go bigger than that tiny type 9
      What vegeta said.
      GTS Dealer.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      06-30-2014 03:24 AM #18
      It looks like i'll be putting off this setup for a while until i can get a driver's side intake manifold due to the lack of room on the passenger side for a decent sized AWIC from what i can tell. So I'll probably resurrect this thread from the dead once that comes about. Thanks for your input so far and if anyone has any suggestions on a good size for a AWIC for the GTT then go ahead and let me know. As for the heat exchanger, it looks like the bigger the better so that is what I'll go with that will fit in the front of the car. I don't plan on still having a massive reservoir tank for extra volume for the system considering it is just a DD. If any of this planning is incorrect and can be better tweaked please fill me in. I am still in the beginning learning stages of this process. Thanks.

Vehicles
      THE IY AWD BT 20TH and 2004 Lupo GTI
      07-26-2014 09:03 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Bunruh View Post
      It looks like i'll be putting off this setup for a while until i can get a driver's side intake manifold due to the lack of room on the passenger side for a decent sized AWIC from what i can tell. So I'll probably resurrect this thread from the dead once that comes about. Thanks for your input so far and if anyone has any suggestions on a good size for a AWIC for the GTT then go ahead and let me know. As for the heat exchanger, it looks like the bigger the better so that is what I'll go with that will fit in the front of the car. I don't plan on still having a massive reservoir tank for extra volume for the system considering it is just a DD. If any of this planning is incorrect and can be better tweaked please fill me in. I am still in the beginning learning stages of this process. Thanks.
      make an offer...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ide-mount-AWIC
      AWD BT 20th Anni build, check it out...
      flickr
      Contact me for JDM wheels and Newer model VW parts
      IG: @87vr6

20. Banner Advertiser pete@integrated's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '92 Gti 20v, '96 M3, '10 Shop Van :)
      07-27-2014 12:13 AM #20
      On the bonneville passat we use a PTE 1000 bhp core, a huge 1600 GPH baitwell pump, 1" lines and a 50 gallon ice / water tank.

Check the size of that unit compared to that frozen boost one- it's not especially huge but it is a very nice core.

Temps still climb from 5-10deg C to 45C or so during a run. Of course that's ~40 psi of boost for 5 miles, but still.

Melts 60 pounds of ice or so, per pass.
      Last edited by pete@integrated; 07-27-2014 at 12:15 AM.
      .:IntEngineering.com:. .:Facebook:.

Check out some cutting edge R&D Work on our blog! IE Behind the scenes Blog!

21. Member
      Vehicles
      07-28-2014 05:41 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by 87vr6 View Post
      That looks like a nice setup and would be nice , however I am currently trying to resolve some other issues with my car currently and I don't have the funds for that nice of a setup currently. Thanks for letting me know about it though.

Vehicles
      THE IY AWD BT 20TH and 2004 Lupo GTI
      07-28-2014 05:53 AM #22
      Let me know when you're ready, to piece together something like that will cost considerably more than I'm asking..
      AWD BT 20th Anni build, check it out...
      flickr
      Contact me for JDM wheels and Newer model VW parts
      IG: @87vr6

23. Member
      Vehicles
      02-25-2015 03:59 PM #23
      So I am giving this a little bump after doing some more research. I found someone who routed the system pretty nicely for a passenger side setup, which means I wouldn't have to wait to get a driver's side one to give this a shot. Here is the picture I found . I can't tell whether the AWIC is a Type 19 http://www.siliconeintakes.com/front...ler-p-219.html or a Type 20 http://www.siliconeintakes.com/front...ler-p-220.html. The Type 19 is considerably better at removing heat but I don't think it would fit as nicely as the Type 20. My question is, would the Type 20 be sufficient enough for my GTT setup or would I have to go with the Type 19? I know it depends on quite a few other things like the radiator size and how much volume you have in the system. My thoughts would be to go with either a Type 114 radiator http://www.siliconeintakes.com/elect...er-p-1112.html with a fan and if that isn't big enough go for a Type 118 radiator http://www.siliconeintakes.com/elect...or-p-1063.html mounted up front. Any thoughts on radiator size? I know the bigger the better but would either of these work that I have listed. Also, all of this with a Cobra pump to move the water.

I should also state that I am planning on doing a direct port w/m injection system this spring with a post intercooler nozzle. This by itself should help out immensely with my current setup. I would just like the shorter charge piping and cooling capabilities with AWIC.
      Last edited by Bunruh; 02-25-2015 at 04:02 PM.

24. 02-25-2015 04:46 PM #24
      With a direct port water injection, the AWIC you're planning will work very well (ask me how I know ). I should also mention that this setup you see in this pic you just borrowed happen to be for sale. PM him and tell him Max sent you. It might save you money and guesswork getting a PnP setup like his.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

25. Member
      Vehicles
      02-25-2015 05:07 PM #25
      With a direct port water injection, the AWIC you're planning will work very well (ask me how I know ). I should also mention that this setup you see in this pic you just borrowed happen to be for sale. PM him and tell him Max sent you. It might save you money and guesswork getting a PnP setup like his.
      I actually Pm'd him to see what size the intercooler was but he wasn't sure. Also, I believe he sold it already. I have read through your previous setup multiple times to get a feel for what I wanted to do it is what has got me to start thinking about this setup.
      What would be your thoughts on the radiator? Which one would be better to get? Also, do you think the slightly smaller type 20 would be good enough for my setup with the radiators I was thinking of using?

26. 02-25-2015 05:34 PM #26
      What he used was the smaller type 20. I used the larger type 19 on mine, but I would advise you to use the type 20 to make plumbing and fitment easier (having to deal with 3" inlet/outlet requires more work than the more standard 2.5" piping ID).

The reason why I'm suggesting to use the smaller core is because from experience, the radiator/heat exchanger size is the most important factor with the efficiency of the system. Get this right (as well as good airflow over it), and you're pretty much in business. Think about it, the "radiator" is what is actually doing the actual heat exchange. Yes, pump flow and fluid capacity has a small bearing, but they mostly alter the heat sunk per cycle. The heat exchanger does the work.

I strongly, strongly, strongly, recommend going with the larger exchanger (type 118)!

Vehicles
      MK4 VW JETTA GLI K04-02x, B5 A4 1.8TQ
      02-25-2015 05:34 PM #27
      Why not go with a Type 101 or Type 100 exchanger?

My plan is to do a Type 3 IC with Type 101 or Type 100 exchanger going to a driverside manifold. The battery is going to the trunk so i have a decent amount of space to work with. I am going to use a dedenbear pump pushing fluid through 10-15ft of -12 hose.

I may run a expansion tank, but not sure yet. I my goal is to get a much volume flowing as the pump can handle.
      Constant, State of Change!
      "Too close for Guns Switch to Missiles"... but, SIR!
      Robkwoods @IG

28. Member
      Vehicles
      02-25-2015 05:49 PM #28
      I could easily go with the Type 101 which is only an 1" thicker but would do much more cooling than the 118 and hold a little more capacity. I could mount it up front quite easily, but how would stop and go traffic fare without a fan to pull air through?

Marcus, I get that the radiator is the key to an efficient system. I should probably do the 101 then considering I probably will only have what's in the lines and the radiator along with your coolant ball setup for volume in the system. So i am going to need some good heat transfer to get that done.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      02-25-2015 05:56 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Bunruh View Post
      I could easily go with the Type 101 which is only an 1" thicker but would do much more cooling than the 118 and hold a little more capacity. I could mount it up front quite easily, but how would stop and go traffic fare without a fan to pull air through?

Marcus, I get that the radiator is the key to an efficient system. I should probably do the 101 then considering I probably will only have what's in the lines and the radiator along with your coolant ball setup for volume in the system. So i am going to need some good heat transfer to get that done.
      The charge air at a stoplight or low speed stuff isn't all that hot. Turbos heat the air up when pressurizing it. When you're out of boost, the intake air temp is not a big deal. When you're in boost, you're probably going quite a bit quicker, which in turn means you're going to get good airflow over the AWIC.

All that said, I've never run an AWIC and it'd be cool to hear from someone who has first hand experience here.
      My Build

30. 02-25-2015 06:16 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by woodywoods86 View Post
      Why not go with a Type 101 or Type 100 exchanger?

My plan is to do a Type 3 IC with Type 101 or Type 100 exchanger going to a driverside manifold. The battery is going to the trunk so i have a decent amount of space to work with. I am going to use a dedenbear pump pushing fluid through 10-15ft of -12 hose.

I may run a expansion tank, but not sure yet. I my goal is to get a much volume flowing as the pump can handle.

The type 101 would be nice if you have room for it, but that's not always the case in a daily driver. I wouldn't recommend using the type 100 with its larger footprint in a car like the TT for example. First, you wouldnt get any natural airflow over most of the core, and it would do a good job a blocking airfolw to the radiator (another issue that's intrinsic and very common to that platform).

I would suggest using an expansion tank. The heat generated forces the fluid to expand quite a bit - if you're not up to fixing popped joints and hoses all the time, get an expansion tank. This also help the system burp itself of air pockets.

Vehicles
      02-25-2015 06:21 PM #31
      The type 101 would be nice if you have room for it, but that's not always the case in a daily driver. I wouldn't recommend using the type 100 with its larger footprint in a car like the TT for example. First, you wouldnt get any natural airflow over most of the core, and it would do a good job a blocking airfolw to the radiator (another issue that's intrinsic and very common to that platform).

I would suggest using an expansion tank. The heat generated forces the fluid to expand quite a bit - if you're not up to fixing popped joints and hoses all the time, get an expansion tank. This also help the system burp itself of air pockets.
      Thanks for the insight.
      Robkwoods @IG

32. Member
      Vehicles
      02-25-2015 06:30 PM #32
      Type 101 it is then. Also, I saw that you (Marcus) used just another coolant ball for an expansion chamber so that is what I am going to use. As for radiator cooling, I am planning on upgrading to a 3 row Valeo like you did, which should help in keeping the coolant cool even with a front mount radiator blocking some of it. This along with an upgraded oil cooler out of the 4motion passat and I think I should be set. Thanks for you help Marcus!

33. Member
      Vehicles
      20th
      02-25-2015 09:05 PM #33
      I have the type 100 that came with the 600hp kit. During normal daily driving and spirited driving the water would stay nice and cool. in long pulls my intake temps would climb. But I think that was partially because I had no intake tube for cooler air I had the filter right on the turbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Floss Filthy

Vehicles
      02-26-2015 02:00 PM #34
      very nice!
      Robkwoods @IG