VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

MPG what is it for a stock 1988 Fox and 4 speed

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Simono 
#1 ·
Anyone have a number?

#4 ·
Fox MPG....

EPA rated the VW Fox 2DR at 22 / 27 MPG and the 4DR and Wagon at 20 / 25 MPG. There are a lot of variables in MPG such as tires, tire pressure and road conditions, stuff in the trunk or cargo area that is not needed. Biggest factors is keeping the car tuned and how heavy your foot is, if you know what I mean. The gas can be a factor as well. Ethenol can reduce the MPG of a vehicle that is no designed or tuned to run with ethenol gas blends.

I have a 90 2 DR Fox with a 4 speed and if I'm easy on it then I can acheive up to 37 MPG on the highway. Mixed driving I can average 32MPG. If I put my foot into it, the MPG will drop down to 24MPG on average.

#7 ·
Ive been tracking fuel economy on my wagon for about 3 months now. Not stock, TT268 cam, TT exhaust from the head back, larger TB, 9Q trans, bigger tires (185/65-15)

I am very consistently getting 25mpg around town and 30mpg on highway trips.

Sometimes I shift at 2-2.5K, cruise in 5th at 35mph and manage to go through nearly a full tank without revving past 3K, and get 25mpg around town. Tanks where I get my foot in it some, shift between 4 and 5k and try to keep the revs close to 3k for cruising, 25mpg too...

Most of the time I run on 87 octane, but I have run tanks of 93 with no appreciable difference in mpgs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.