Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Cold Start Misfire on cylinder

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2006/Jetta/2.0T
      07-17-2014 05:17 PM #1
      I have 2006 Jetta 2.0T. I had my spark plug and coils replace year ago. Now I am get CEL light on start up (sometimes flashing). I found out it is fine if I rev the engine for about 5 second after starting. I pulled the codes and it was alway misfire on cylinder 4. I read lot of forum about this. Most say bad plug or coil, eventhou I just got them replace. I am going to try to switch plug and coil 4 with 1. Another thing i hear is a bad injector. Is they a test I can do to check this.. if it is bad how hard is it to replace.

OR it could be a carbon buildup. I do have 140k miles on it.. but why only on one cylinder?

2. 07-19-2014 10:23 PM #2
      A few years ago, I had cold start misfire problem on my Audi A3 2.0T. I eventually tracked it down to a vacuum leak in the vacuum line to the brake booster. I did some data logging and the misfires would continue to count until the O2 sensor went closed loop and provided correction for the leak - a minute or so after start. In my case, the leak was in cracked plastic fitting that's behind the driver side of the cylinder head. Once I fixed the leak, the cold start misfire disappeared. Search for vacuum leaks downstream of the throttle body.

3. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2006/Jetta/2.0T
      07-22-2014 01:36 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by releger View Post
      A few years ago, I had cold start misfire problem on my Audi A3 2.0T. I eventually tracked it down to a vacuum leak in the vacuum line to the brake booster. I did some data logging and the misfires would continue to count until the O2 sensor went closed loop and provided correction for the leak - a minute or so after start. In my case, the leak was in cracked plastic fitting that's behind the driver side of the cylinder head. Once I fixed the leak, the cold start misfire disappeared. Search for vacuum leaks downstream of the throttle body.
      Thanks for the help.. Did your misfire stay only one cylinder? Mine anyways is on cylinder 4.

4. 07-25-2014 09:21 AM #4
      Initially, the codes I got were for cylinder 4 and for multiple cylinder misfires. This went on for a number of months until the leak got worse and I started getting codes for all cylinders.

5. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2006/Jetta/2.0T
      08-12-2014 04:16 PM #5
      thanks... I look into it.