Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Becoming a coffee snob

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      Yesterday 12:17 AM #1
      So yea, I'm pretty picky when it comes to my coffee now days. Maybe it's from my scotch drinking where a well cleansed pallet makes it that much better.
      Anywho, I have always been a fan of drip pour since I first had it. Finally bought myself a coffee grinder as I have been buying pre ground from my local roaster or even pre packaged dunkin. I also bought a cheapo plastic drip pour to try out (glass mug top one was $30!)
      Picked up some French roast Guatemala (my fav) beans this weekend and made it with the pot (not drip ) and it was good. I have to find the correct fine-ness to grind it.
      Any suggestions on grinding and such would help.
      It's amazing how much aroma you get from whole beans over pre-ground stuff. It's like a fresh cup every time.

Oh, also picked up some Italian roast Costa Rica and man is that dark! Pics to come. ☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️
      the car is on an inclined driveway and up on jack stands in the front only
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      E30 Cab & 1.8T Golf
      Yesterday 09:32 AM #2
      What kind of grinder are you using.

I have a spinning blade grinder and like 10 pulses followed by about 10 seconds of solid grinding.

The burr grinders will give a more consistently even grind.

I go through taste phases. Lately I like grinding something dark from Starbucks (Verona, Sumatra, Espresso) with some regular 8 O'Clock whole beans. The lighter bean blend really rounds out the flavor and cuts some of the bitter.

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      Yesterday 02:08 PM #3
      I have a kitchen aid 2 blade grinder.
      I noticed some grounds get stuck on the bottom and get super fine. Almost have to grind like 10 and then shake it up and grind again for 5-10
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      E30 Cab & 1.8T Golf
      Yesterday 02:34 PM #4
      Pulse a few times with the grinder upside down while spanking the bottom.

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      Yesterday 09:00 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by smittyATL View Post
      Pulse a few times with the grinder upside down while spanking the bottom.
      That's what she said