Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ebola 2014 - Discuss

1. 07-29-2014 12:03 PM #1
      Poop your insides out and die.

Thoughts? Biggest outbreak so far and 700+ casualties (including many of the doctors and nurses working against it). At what point will this create a genuine international panic?

2. 07-29-2014 12:05 PM #2
      I knew this thread would come up, I just thought it would be started by Uberhare.

Vehicles
      605 Nogaro S4
      07-29-2014 12:19 PM #3
      not as exciting as kony 2012.
      Quote Originally Posted by bluerabbit0886 View Post
      A friend of mine is at law school at Gonzaga. He says Spokane is a real **** show. Florida of the Pacific Northwest...
      Quote Originally Posted by Señor Peligro View Post
      There was a separate petition for it. So no, I don't think Austin is the demographic in Texas looking to secede. But **** Austin anyways.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Wagon Queen Family Truckster (not the blue sport wagon)
      07-29-2014 12:20 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post

Thoughts? Biggest outbreak so far and 700+ casualties (including many of the doctors and nurses working against it). At what point will this create a genuine international panic?
      If it turns up Stateside or in Europe.

Similar to a zombie outbreak, in rural areas, it can be contained. It hits urban areas & lookout.
      “The analogy we use around here sometimes, and I think is accurate, is if a JV team puts on Lakers uniforms that doesn't make them Kobe Bryant" ~ Obama on ISIS

We are JIMP

5. 07-29-2014 12:32 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Gaki View Post
      not as exciting as kony 2012.
      I'll start making a Facebook group for Ebola 2014. Maybe we can get some soldiers sent over there if we get enough likes! (high five)

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      07-29-2014 12:37 PM #6
      Let's ask the real question on everyone's mind. How long until Syfy makes a movie about it?
      Scotch. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Injustice View Post
      Wow such Canagay. Much hairy. So cuddles.

Vehicles
      i've a horse outside.
      07-29-2014 12:47 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Let's ask the real question on everyone's mind. How long until Syfy makes a movie about it?
      like an ebola tornado?

or do you mean more along the lines of the existing disease series they have?
      shut your mouth. sh sh shut your mouth.

Vehicles
      2012 Equinox
      07-29-2014 12:51 PM #8
      Wait, this isn't the Chipotle thread, man.

At what point will this create a genuine international panic?
      I just watched that video, and I think it would be people to get excited/panicked about it when the locals don't even seem to be very concerned about it. Granted the video shows a very small sample of the Liberian population. Even if we dismiss the local's attitude, I think it will only become and matter of concern for the international community if/when it hits their continent.

Going back to the video, it seems that the government seems overly concerned with the consuming of bush meat, when they should really be advocating better food prep/handling practices. That's what jumps out to me. From my preliminary reading properly smoked/cured/cooked meat removes the risk of ebola contamination.

I believe the overall culture in Liberia makes transmission of the disease more likely. For example using a bed sheet to separate biohazard areas in a medical facility. Really? And the guy comes out of the biohazard area with a mask that the guy is supposed to wear to protect him. While most ebola strains are transmitted via contact with bodily fluids, there have been airborne strains identified as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.FOH!! View Post

Similar to a zombie outbreak, in rural areas, it can be contained. It hits urban areas & lookout.
      Makes me paranoid to travel through airports, especially the one closest to me.

9. 07-29-2014 01:09 PM #9
      This isn't like you can "walk into a store" and touch a door handle and get it. Nor is it like you can get it "in the air" on an airplane.

People who get this are in very very close contact with a host, hence the doctors getting it. "transmission occurs via direct contact with blood or bodily fluids from an infected person (including embalming of an infected dead person) or by contact with contaminated medical equipment such as needles".

Go watch World War Z to get your zombie apocalypse fix.

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      07-29-2014 01:26 PM #10
      I read Tom Clancy's "Executive Orders" where the Iranians develop an airbourne strain. I'm an expert on ebola plots.

11. 07-29-2014 01:49 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
      This isn't like you can "walk into a store" and touch a door handle and get it. Nor is it like you can get it "in the air" on an airplane.

People who get this are in very very close contact with a host, hence the doctors getting it. "transmission occurs via direct contact with blood or bodily fluids from an infected person (including embalming of an infected dead person) or by contact with contaminated medical equipment such as needles".

Not trying to get a fix. I just think it'll be an interesting discussion if it continues. This is OT though.

Vehicles
      93 corrado vr6, 95 golf race car, 05 trailblazer, 06 BMW 325ixT
      07-29-2014 01:52 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.FOH!! View Post
      yep, no one gives a fvck about what happens in africa. as long as it stays there, no one will do anything more than lip service. of course i mean in the broad sense, those doctors on the ground.... cahones of titanium.

regarding ebola not being airborne, i say it's not airborne, yet. mother nature is always workin' on new isht to kill us, give it time. when that happens tho, ya, i'll be freakin out!

07-29-2014 02:04 PM #13
      time to send the team in

stay in drugs, eat school, and don't do vegetables
      permanent vacation

14. Member
      Vehicles
      10-speed bike
      07-29-2014 02:35 PM #14
      WTF is being eaten in that stillframe?
      Free sirswank
      Join Date 03-17-2003
      Total Posts 7,046

07-29-2014 02:35 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post

Well, to be fair there have been reports that the virus somehow developed the ability to transmit airborne, which is pretty much the worst case type of way this thing can be transmitted. The general consensus among the brainy medical folks is this airborne theory is still without concrete proof.

But it makes you wonder if indeed the virus found a way to protect itself in order to become airborne. That's scary. And a HORRIBLE way to die. You literally bleed out of every orifice in you body. It liquifies your organs. Not cool.
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

07-29-2014 02:37 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by sirswank! View Post
      Bush meat. Specifically, monkey meat. Yummy. It's almost lunchtime.

07-29-2014 03:12 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      I read Tom Clancy's "Executive Orders" where the Iranians develop an airbourne strain. I'm an expert on ebola plots.
      This.

anyone heard about the missing nuns or stolen monkeys?

07-29-2014 03:27 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by sirswank! View Post
      Curious George. I hope I didn't just ruin your childhood.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      07-29-2014 03:28 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by LangsamKafer View Post

Makes me paranoid to travel through airports, especially the one closest to me.
      Avoid the one's serving King Colubus Tar Tar.
      “The analogy we use around here sometimes, and I think is accurate, is if a JV team puts on Lakers uniforms that doesn't make them Kobe Bryant" ~ Obama on ISIS

We are JIMP

Vehicles
      2001 W.E Jetta
      07-29-2014 03:44 PM #20
      Scary stuff. It kills you pretty quick and can be transmitted very easily. All the way down to sweat and air borne pathways. It would spread like wildfire through densely populated areas. They seriously need to lock those countries down, reduce travel ect.

Vehicles
      MKV GTI / RIP MKIV Jetta / Burn in HADES GLS Beetle 1.8T!
      07-29-2014 03:58 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by XClayX View Post
      Scary stuff. It kills you pretty quick and can be transmitted very easily. All the way down to sweat and air borne pathways. It would spread like wildfire through densely populated areas. They seriously need to lock those countries down, reduce travel ect.
      Human to human transmission requires direct contact with blood or bodily fluids. It isn't airborne unless its a interspecies infection.
      "We'll not risk another frontal assault... that rabbit's DYNAMITE!"

MKV GTI : 4dr / TR / 50mm Vogtland & FK cup kit / 27mm Hotchkis RSB / S6 Reps / Stubby Antenna / Baby seat!!!

22. 07-29-2014 04:07 PM #22
      I'd be most concerned about the airplane issue. Small, concentrated area with a lot of people...sharing air. Start sneezing etc. And of course if you're on a major international flight with various connections - one person could turn into 4-5 countries experiencing cases. And the further you get from the initial point, how likely are first air workers/doctors to consider ebola? I suppose I'm a bit morbidly fascinated by this stuff, merely because virus and asteroids are two of the only things which could turn the tables on humankind pretty quick.

I agree though, no concern until this goes too international or numbers skyrocket.

Vehicles
      JB4 335xi, Prius
      07-29-2014 04:21 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

I hope the united islamic republic isn't forming.
      Quote Originally Posted by Internal Combustion View Post
      I called my wife with glee, she was very happy for me. I do believe I've won TCL.
      Yes I quote myself.

335- 12.2@115

Vehicles
      2007 Ford Fusion SUX, school bus turning radius edition
      07-29-2014 04:25 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by TwoLitreVW View Post
      like an ebola tornado?

or do you mean more along the lines of the existing disease series they have?
      Ebolanado! Starring Ian Ziering!

07-29-2014 04:35 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by 20DYNAMITE07 View Post
      Human to human transmission requires direct contact with blood or bodily fluids. It isn't airborne unless its a interspecies infection.
      Interesting info from Wikipedia:

In late 2012, Canadian scientists discovered that the deadliest form of the virus could be transmitted by air between species. They managed to prove that the virus was transmitted from pigs to monkeys without any direct contact between them, leading to fears that airborne transmission could be contributing to the wider spread of the disease in parts of Africa. Evidence was also found that pigs might be one of the reservoir hosts for the virus; the fruit bat has long been considered as the reservoir. A 2013 study isolated antibodies from fruit bats in Bangladesh, against Ebola Zaire and Reston viruses, thus identifying potential virus hosts and signs of the filoviruses in Asia.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_virus_disease

07-29-2014 04:39 PM #26
      Historical note....the Soviet's biological weapons program considered using Ebola and Marburg viruses as bio weapons but determined they were not effective enough. The hosts died too quickly for it to be transmitted. They sent teams of KGB agents to Africa to retrieve samples for their program during the outbreaks.

Makes you wonder what other countries are sending bio weapon engineers to the area to collect samples for possible weapons.....

Vehicles
      2013 Volt
      07-29-2014 04:40 PM #27
      A friend of mine whom I knew growing up is a physician at JFK Hospital in Monrovia. I know ELWA hospital very very well..... and the outbreak area in Lofa county is just slightly north of where I grew up.

Before ebola, there was Lassa Fever. Lassa is spread by mice/rats urine contamination. Ebola is from bats contaminating fruit. In Liberian English, when they refer to 'plums' they mean what you know as 'mangos'. Fruit bats eat on mangos, avocados (they call them 'butter pears'), bananas and plantains. People eat the fruit..... that's how it starts. Bush meat (which could be any small game: monkey, groundhog, pangolin, field rat, or various antelope) is not the *most* likely vector, but it is best to avoid it. I've eaten some of those.

It's easy for y'all to be sarcastic about things like simple clinic structures and procedures not being what you expect in the US, but if you were there with no resources you'd do the best you could.

We ran a medical/dental volunteer program for years, where even a sheet to divide rooms in a makeshift clinic was a luxury. If my mother were still alive, and still working there, I could easily see her being a casualty just like the two ELWA doctors.

As for the comments about contamination via air travel, here's what should be the *real* concern: The guy who flew to Nigeria and died used the lavatory on the plane. The contents of the lav are now biohazard, and anyone who dumped the lav is now exposed, and the plane's lav plumbing is contaminated.

Vehicles
      2014 Focus
      07-29-2014 04:43 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3 View Post
      As for the comments about contamination via air travel, here's what should be the *real* concern: The guy who flew to Nigeria and died used the lavatory on the plane. The contents of the lav are now biohazard, and anyone who dumped the lav is now exposed, and the plane's lav plumbing is contaminated.
      So the blue ice falling from the sky is...worse now?
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Being a man isn't about being ready, it's about faking it so well you fool yourself.

07-29-2014 08:15 PM #29
      Add China to the mix and we're all screwed

Some crooked business man imports bush meat into China, then the Ebola mutates into some super virus b/c of all the pollution and the lack of food safety. Just recently, a major supplier to McDonalds, KFC etc. was busted for using expired meat and mishandling. Then it spreads to the populace

Vehicles
      2012 Equinox
      07-29-2014 08:35 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by XClayX View Post
      They seriously need to lock those countries down, reduce travel ect.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20DYNAMITE07 View Post
      Nonetheless...

http://www.crazymonkeygames.com/Pandemic-2.html

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      07-29-2014 10:35 PM #31
      I'll start making a Facebook group for Ebola 2014. Maybe we can get some soldiers sent over there if we get enough likes! (high five)
      #GiveUsBackOurBodilyFluids

/Michelle Obama sadface

07-30-2014 02:10 AM #32
      Really interesting read here from a Doctor who was working on the ground Guinea

http://news.unchealthcare.org/news/2...ntaining-ebola

Sounds like it's really pretty hard to just get Ebola as long as you aren't exposed to the infected on a constant basis.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stubby, Esq. View Post
      buy both, save time.

Vehicles
      '99 Cabrio, '05 S2000
      07-30-2014 06:54 AM #33
      No need to panic, this guy has got this...

http://www.health24.com/Medical/infe...Ebola-20140729
      Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman
      Let's just say I like my women like I like my cars - fast, cheap, kinda ugly and beaten up, unreliable, dangerous, unwanted....
      4 coilpacks, 2 gearboxes and counting...

34. Member
      Vehicles
      07-30-2014 08:01 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      #GiveUsBackOurBodilyFluids

/Michelle Obama sadface
      <applause gif>

We are JIMP

07-30-2014 09:15 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
      Bush meat. Specifically, monkey meat. Yummy. It's almost lunchtime.
      Racist
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast