VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Name that sound

1. Member
      Vehicles
      02TTQC
      07-29-2014 10:53 PM #1
      2007 Pacifica 3.8L v6

I thought maybe the oil was low, as we've been having an oil leak for awhile that just got fixed today, but the shop filled it up before we left. This just started about a week ago. No lights, no loss of power, nothing.

Vehicles
      99 Subaru Impreza OBS, 84 Chevy Monte Carlo
      07-30-2014 09:57 AM #2
      Sounds like something loose that attaches to the engine, though I can't be for sure what. Due, mainly in part, to the complete blackness.
      Current Car: 99' Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
      Project Car: 84' Chevy Monte Carlo
      Past Cars: 84' Buick Regal, 87' Olds' Cutlass Supreme Brougham, 87' Monte Carlo SS, 91' Toyota Corolla

07-30-2014 10:01 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Ghost85 View Post
      Sounds like something loose that attaches to the engine, though I can't be for sure what. Due, mainly in part, to the complete blackness.
      I agree. Except with the "blackness" part because I didn't want to bring race into the equation.
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      2003 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Break - 2003 Fiat Stilo Abarth Selespeed
      07-30-2014 10:02 AM #4
      Heatshield
      Cramping your style since 1982 - NOISN3dSnS -

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      07-30-2014 10:04 AM #5
      Need more detail.

In the video, is the engine idling? Under load or no load? Constant speed? Are there certain speeds/loads/whatever that cause this noise to change? Does it burn oil?

6. Member
      Vehicles
      02TTQC
      07-30-2014 12:35 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Need more detail.

In the video, is the engine idling? Under load or no load? Constant speed? Are there certain speeds/loads/whatever that cause this noise to change? Does it burn oil?
      You're right, it does need more detail. I posted the thread after a long day and my mind had shut off by that point.

It's completely black because my phone was right up next to the oil pan to get the noise as clear as possible. It's loudest under the vehicle, so that's where I was. The vehicle was idling in the garage. The noise goes away when the car is in motion (any speed), and can't currently be heard inside the cabin.

It has had an oil leak from the pan gasket and the oil sending unit. The shop replaced the sending unit yesterday, I replaced the gasket about 3 months ago. The leak wasn't TOO bad up until about a week ago when the oil got low enough to cause low pressure light on the dash to illuminate. I put 2 quarts in it to get by a few days; it's completely full as of yesterday.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      02TTQC
      07-30-2014 12:38 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Ghost85 View Post
      I didn't immediately see anything rattling, but it can be hard to see everything while laying on the floor.

Pacificas go through motor mounts regularly. Fortunately, we've only had 1 go out, which was on the front. I replaced it the same day I did the oil pan gasket (3 months ago) with an OEM part. I checked it yesterday thinking maybe it was loose, but that came back negative.