Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Leviton junkies?

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      08-14-2014 10:06 AM #1
      Anyone else?

I just installed one of the USB charger receptacles. So cool. Now, discovered they have duplex outlets with the two USB ports. One of the ports is 1.4A, the other 0.7A, so you can charge your Galaxy/iWhatever on the high side and your old LG crap on the low side.

Cleaned up my kitchen counter something fierce.

I have tons of other Leviton goodies, this one was a whim that I saw at HD.
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

2. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      08-14-2014 11:07 AM #2
      The USB ones they sell now have 2.1 Amps @ 5 VDC, 2.0 Type A USB chargers. This is what is required for the current version of the iPad (and probably other large tablets?).

We only have Decora switches in our current place. We will probably install some of the USB charger plugs in our new house when we get that far.

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      08-14-2014 11:30 AM #3
      I use Leviton for outlets and simple switches but my dimmers and timers are 100% Lutron.

I don't have anything exotic. I use a few Belkin 3 outlet + 2 USB travel surge protectors. I telecommute. If I'm not working at my desk, all my "stuff" gets plugged into a Belkin wherever I'm sitting. USB for my iPhone. USB to charge my battery case separately. Outlet for my laptop. A couple spare outlets to power other work stuff.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      08-14-2014 10:17 PM #4
      Oh, don't get me started on Lutron. hahahaha, I do not want to know how much I have invested in Lutron dimmers! It's easily four figures after three houses....

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

Vehicles
      Scirocco C30 Stingray
      08-15-2014 12:14 PM #5
      Yes, I saw these outlets. Might install them in my next loft.

For now, I have these devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Vehicles
      08-15-2014 12:47 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Cleaned up my kitchen counter something fierce.
      Am I the only one who has Apple and Micro USB cables scattered all over the house? If I'm in bed, my iPhone is plugged in on the nightstand. If I'm sitting at my desk, my iPhone is plugged in at my desk. If I'm sitting on the sofa, my iPhone is plugged in to one of the cables on either side of the sofa. I have a built-in bookshelf outlet where I charge my three iPhone battery cases. Similarly, both cars have Apple cables and I plug the iPhone in as I get in the car. Ditto my boat.

7. Member
      08-15-2014 03:26 PM #7
      I'm a big Leviton guy. In my previous homes, one of the first things I do is upgrade all the switches and receptacles to Leviton Decoras. Since my current house is fairly recently upgraded before I moved in, it's a mix between Lutron systems and Leviton systems.

I really like the USB idea. Haven't thought about doing that since I have adapters but it definitely makes sense.
      2003 Acura MDX
      2006 BMW X3

Vehicles
      08-16-2014 08:36 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      Am I the only one who has Apple and Micro USB cables scattered all over the house? If I'm in bed, my iPhone is plugged in on the nightstand. If I'm sitting at my desk, my iPhone is plugged in at my desk. If I'm sitting on the sofa, my iPhone is plugged in to one of the cables on either side of the sofa. I have a built-in bookshelf outlet where I charge my three iPhone battery cases. Similarly, both cars have Apple cables and I plug the iPhone in as I get in the car. Ditto my boat.
      No, we have them all over, too. Which is why I love the idea of these outlets!

Vehicles
      08-17-2014 05:30 PM #9
      They might look pretty silly 10 years from now when the electronics industry migrates to some different connector.

Vehicles
      08-17-2014 06:04 PM #10
      meh, next owner's problem!

11. 08-19-2014 04:19 PM #11
      They might look pretty silly 10 years from now when the electronics industry migrates to some different connector.
      Decade??? try three years MAX.

USB type c is being introduced now, and does away with the directional type cord, so instead of having a large side and a small side, it will all be one connector that will be someone what similar to the lighting connector in that it will be reversible.

12. 08-21-2014 05:39 PM #12
      [sarchasm]Yes - and it will be terribly difficult for the poster's in this thread to unscrew 4-6 screws and possibly two wire nuts to replace said switch. It's also highly unlikely that there will be adapter cords, especially given that these are simply serving power and not data.[/sarchasm]

13. 08-21-2014 06:13 PM #13
      I'm a light switch and receptacle junkie in general. I replaced every light fixture, light switch, and receptacle in my home before moving in. The old receptacles were so worn out that plugs would fall right out of the wall. The upgrade went from 2 prong to 3prong tamper resistant, and GFCI in the bathrooms. The one negative comment about Leviton is that the plastic on their GFCI receptacles is very soft. If you have one in a high traffic area such as a bathroom that sees hair dryer/curling iron etc. use, the surface gets marred after 6-12 months.

I have a USB outlet in the "charging station" in my kitchen. I'd like to add more elsewhere so I didn't have a "charging station" in my kitchen.

Toggle switches: I went with uber cheap cooper switches, like 88 cents a switch. They are holding up well after four years, but I anticipate that they will get sloppy eventually.

Motion Switches: I went with cooper motion switches. These things aren't great and start to act wonky after a few years. I have them in my garage, and on my basement bathroom. I originally added it because the door wouldn't clear a standard toggle. Then I decided I liked the feature. It adds light to the hall as you walk by. I've since rewired the bathroom and moved the problem switch

Dimmer Switches: I'm using the same basic Lutron dimmer in multiple rooms. Most of my directional halogens are on dimmers, along with the dining room chandelier, and pendants in the foyer. Going to add one to the master bath, per the recommendation in the "cool things you should have done" thread

Other

Bathroom Vent timer switch in main bath:

Leviton Decora toggles for light/vent in basement bath. Adjacent to a GFCI receptacle in a 2 gang box.

Leviton Slim GFCI Decora combination in the single master, single gang box. This is a 15a switch on a dedicated 20a bathroom circuit. Couldn't find a 20a combo that met all my needs.

Leviton 20a Slim GFCI's in the bath:

I have this hospital grade unit installed inside my wooden mantel, feeding power to my flatscreen. It has built in surge protection and end-of-line identification.
      Last edited by Markos; 08-21-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      08-21-2014 11:43 PM #14
      How do they solve the problem of having cables all over the place? The only thing I see that these eliminate is the USB/wall outlet adapter. I will say, that being able to plug 4 devices into a single duplex outlet is nice,

And Geoff, the reason you have to keep that thing plugged in all the time is because Apple batteries suck the big one. My g/f's iPhone 4s is always plugged in. So much so, that the damned thing is like a corded phone! I think she gets <2 hours of battery life out of it if it's not plugged in. I can put my Galaxy S5 in ultra power saving mode, and I think that, if the battery is fully charged, that it will last almost 3 weeks on standby w/o being plugged in!
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00
      my GF's love to show me their t!ts....and I like to motorboat them so much they call me Chris Craft...

Vehicles
      08-22-2014 05:31 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Racer View Post
      How do they solve the problem of having cables all over the place? The only thing I see that these eliminate is the USB/wall outlet adapter. I will say, that being able to plug 4 devices into a single duplex outlet is nice,

And Geoff, the reason you have to keep that thing plugged in all the time is because Apple batteries suck the big one. My g/f's iPhone 4s is always plugged in. So much so, that the damned thing is like a corded phone! I think she gets <2 hours of battery life out of it if it's not plugged in. I can put my Galaxy S5 in ultra power saving mode, and I think that, if the battery is fully charged, that it will last almost 3 weeks on standby w/o being plugged in!
      Yeah, mine is pretty much always plugged in if I'm working, sleeping, or driving the car. It's two years old so the battery is pretty tired. If I'm sitting on the sofa with the game on messing with my iPhone, I can kill the battery in 2 or 3 hours. I have three 2400 mA battery cases for my 4s. If I know I'm going to be out and about, I toss it in a battery case. If I'm out on the boat, I toss a spare battery case in my canvas bag but almost never need it.

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      08-23-2014 09:30 AM #16
      Yeah, mine is pretty much always plugged in if I'm working, sleeping, or driving the car. It's two years old so the battery is pretty tired. If I'm sitting on the sofa with the game on messing with my iPhone, I can kill the battery in 2 or 3 hours. I have three 2400 mA battery cases for my 4s. If I know I'm going to be out and about, I toss it in a battery case. If I'm out on the boat, I toss a spare battery case in my canvas bag but almost never need it.
      How much are those battery cases? My g/f is stuck w/ her phone until the middle of November, and if they're cheap enough, I'll grab one for her.
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00
      my GF's love to show me their t!ts....and I like to motorboat them so much they call me Chris Craft...