Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Worse Cam Follower Ever?

1. 08-23-2014 11:26 PM #1
      So I have only had this car for about 2 weeks. When I bought it there was 108,000 miles on it now I'm around 110,000.
      So I figured I should do an oil change and while I was at it check/replace the cam follower. I thought it could be pretty bad
      because as far as I know it had never been done before, but the car was running fine. However when I took the HPFP off it
      was anything but fine.

Pictures Below

photo DSC_5694_zpsa7abd4c6.png

photo DSC_5695_zpsf519d4bf.png

photo DSC_5696_zps5d9a2314.png

Couldn't really get a good picture of the cam lobe.

photo DSC_5701_zpsbd9eac21.png

Old Cam Follower on the left and new one on the right

photo DSC_5703_zpsf252e223.png

photo DSC_5704_zpsb8c27347.png

And of course this guy was shaved down quite a bit.

photo DSC_5705_zpsdda80822.png

So after all this I put in the new cam follower and the car runs like ****. Really not sure where to go from here and have
      been trying to read up on the issue on vortex and and audizine. I read Audi extended their warranty on this specific thing to
      120,000 miles and was wondering if that was worth a shot. I pulled some codes from it tonight.

P2196 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Signal too High (Rich)
      P0087 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure: Too Low
      P2293 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve (N276): Mechanical Malfunction

Thanks in advance guys! All help is greatly appreciated.

2. 08-24-2014 03:54 AM #2
      put the old one back in and take it to the dealer. They will warranty that.

3. 08-24-2014 07:53 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by ordpetegti View Post
      put the old one back in and take it to the dealer. They will warranty that.
      That is what I am planning on doing but I wanted to make sure so i called audi of america and they just told me only the camshaft is covered under warranty however everything else i was reading said the cam, cam follower and hpfp were covered so now I'm confused.

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T FSI
      08-24-2014 09:00 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Ahale View Post
      That is what I am planning on doing but I wanted to make sure so i called audi of america and they just told me only the camshaft is covered under warranty however everything else i was reading said the cam, cam follower and hpfp were covered so now I'm confused.
      at least they will change the cam, I would take it. They maybe change the pump too
      K&N intake, BSH PCV revamp, rev D-DV, DSG.
      Eibach springs. Lava Grey

5. 08-24-2014 09:58 PM #5
      The only question I have now is do I run the risk of putting in the old follower and bringing it to them. Or do I take it to them with the new one and tell them my symptoms and show them what the old one looked like. I feel like i might as well leave the new one in if they are only going to replace the cam itself but hopefully i can call the dealership and figure this out tomorrow.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 2-door base DBP
      08-25-2014 01:11 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Ahale View Post
      The only question I have now is do I run the risk of putting in the old follower and bringing it to them. Or do I take it to them with the new one and tell them my symptoms and show them what the old one looked like. I feel like i might as well leave the new one in if they are only going to replace the cam itself but hopefully i can call the dealership and figure this out tomorrow.
      If it is driveable I would just take it there with the new follower installed. Then explain exactly what you found. That pump is toast.

Maybe they will warranty the fuel pump. I kind of doubt it with that many miles, but it's worth a try.

I wouldn't put that old follower back in. That isn't a follower any more, it's a hunk of metal. I'd be more worried about where those pieces of metal are. Check the filter housing, or pan...
      Let them eat cake...

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 MKV GLI
      08-25-2014 11:19 AM #7
      Same thing happened to me but not that bad. I replaced the worn out follower with a new one and drove to the VW dealer. They replaced everything Intake Cam, follower, HPFP. If you have an aftermarket HPFP like APR's then they might not replace it.

8. 08-25-2014 03:16 PM #8
      I'm new here....and I've only been a mk5 owner for about a year and a half....But that is BY FAR the worst cam follower damage I've ever seen. It looks like a bomb went off. Holy cow.

Do what others have suggested, put the old follower back in and take it to the dealership.

Vehicles
      Audi STaSIS Challenge Edition S5, Audi A3 Sline Stage II+, Audi A6 Sline
      08-25-2014 10:16 PM #9
      AOA will cover if work is done by dealer with good serv history
      STaSIS CHALLENGE AUDI S5 Ice Silver/Black Napa Leather,6MT,Side Assist,NAV,TECH,B&O,Carbon Inlay,STaSIS ECU & Exhaust,Ohlins STaSIS Susp Pkg,STaSIS Swaybar,MTM Brembo 8 piston brakes,dimpled oem rear rotors,20" EUR Wheels,BMC Air Filter,RS4 Pedal Kit,Clear Bra,LED Taillights,Power Folding Mirrors A6 S-line-Brilliant Black,Tip,NAV,Bose,Air Susp,ADS,19" RS4 Wheels,S6 LED A3/S3 -Brilliant Black,2.0t,DSG,NAV,LED,Stage II+

Vehicles
      Audi STaSIS Challenge Edition S5, Audi A3 Sline Stage II+, Audi A6 Sline
      08-25-2014 10:19 PM #10

Mine had 122k - AOA said they would not make exception

New APR hpfp installed - I plan on new cam follower every other oil change or 10k miles

Oh and additional $1,800 for engine parts and labor including updated cam
      STaSIS CHALLENGE AUDI S5 Ice Silver/Black Napa Leather,6MT,Side Assist,NAV,TECH,B&O,Carbon Inlay,STaSIS ECU & Exhaust,Ohlins STaSIS Susp Pkg,STaSIS Swaybar,MTM Brembo 8 piston brakes,dimpled oem rear rotors,20" EUR Wheels,BMC Air Filter,RS4 Pedal Kit,Clear Bra,LED Taillights,Power Folding Mirrors A6 S-line-Brilliant Black,Tip,NAV,Bose,Air Susp,ADS,19" RS4 Wheels,S6 LED A3/S3 -Brilliant Black,2.0t,DSG,NAV,LED,Stage II+

Vehicles
      08 997S, 88 Carrera, 92 300TE, 13 Passat TDI
      08-26-2014 09:26 AM #11
      i have seen a lot worse that that.

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 MKV GLI
      08-26-2014 11:00 AM #12
      After experiencing the same issue I converted to the H2Sport fix. http://www.h2salesandservice.com/Fue...6f-103-498.htm

I sent H2Sport my Intake Cam, End cover. They put there Lobe on the Intake cam and modified the end cover to fit the adapter. They sent everything back including the adapter, roller follower, thicker spring & longer bolts for the fuel pump. I did the labor myself. Sure as hell beats a chewed up cam follower any day.

13. 08-29-2014 11:47 AM #13
      Unfortunately, I just went through this with my 08 GTI, which was not covered by VW since my VIN was not included in the TSB for certain 06-07s. I did not have any symptoms, CELs, codes, etc. to indicate that my cam follower had punched-through, but when I checked my cam, it was toast! I needed a new HPFP, cam shaft and follower. BTW, I had the Rev B in my 08, which was supposed to fix the issue but apparently did not.

I would call VW to see if your VIN is covered under the TSB.

Cheers,
      M.
      Last edited by on.your.left; 08-29-2014 at 11:50 AM.

Vehicles
      '82 2.0 16v Rabbit truck, '06 V8 Touareg, '06 Audi A4 2.0t
      08-30-2014 06:27 PM #14
      I just had the entire long block, intake manifold, injectors and fuel rail replaced for 0.00 at Harper Audi in Knoxville, TN. My cam follower was as bad or worse and had blown a hole in the cam cover. After dropping the number three crank bearing cap they discovered scored bearings. Originally after initial inspection they were going to replace the cam, pump, chain, tensioner and cam cover. Audi said replace engine after the scored crank bearing. The car in question is a 06 B7 A4 2.0t. It had 113,000 miles on it at time of failure. I bought the car damaged. The extended warranty covers up to 120k miles and or ten years from time of delivery.

Reassemble and take it to Audi for repairs.