Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 12 of 12

    Thread: BBM Charger failure

    1. 08-26-2014 05:41 PM #1
      Hey guys, i need help diagnosing why my charger failed. (ABA Lysolm kit) I'm being told that my warranty is rejected on the charger because of the setup i had. Specifiacally, because i am not running "bump" couplers, allowing the charge piping to flex with the motor. The diagnosis is that the motor/charger moved when driving and the piping caused enough stress on the charger to "flex" the case making the screws contact eachother. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

       photo 20140802_1813354.jpg

      Here is a pic of my setup. Don't mind the ugly intake, i changed that but was jsut connected that way because i hadf nothing else at the time. This is the only pic i have though showing the charge side of the setup, the supposed failure point. I am running a solid front metal mount and stage 2 deriln mounts...not much flex in my setup at all.

      If the bearings go out on the charger, that can cause the screws to hit eachother also, right?

    2. 08-26-2014 06:14 PM #2
      Thought i would add...

      The motor never would idle with the charger installed. It would start up, then die IMMEDIATLEY. I would have to give her throttle to keep her alive. After the charger failed, I put my TB/MAF onto the intake mani (removed the charger) and bam....idled like a champ. I was told by BBM that the motor would not idle because the ecu had never reaced "Readyness." No codes came up that would make me think that any sensors were going haywire. Vehicle ran 100% before the supercharger. I had no change in wiring or sensors as the AEG manifold has been on the car for almost a year now and i had to extend wires to do that initial swap. Charger was getting sufficient oil (Verified via pressure gauge showing 30psi@temp)

      My gut and diagnosis of this is that the car would never idle because the charger was chewing itself to bits the whole time....causing drag on the motor. Lots of metal in the pan after the charger failed.

    3. Member Dave926's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2005
      Location
      Rhode Island
      Posts
      5,206
      Vehicles
      1989 Helios GLI 1997 Mk3 ****box
      08-27-2014 09:42 AM #3
      Maybe a slightly rough idle for a few minutes during the initial start, but shouldve smoothed out pretty quickly otherwise.

    4. 08-27-2014 11:14 AM #4
      Yes, that has also been my experience when runnnig new software....never had a motor just repetedly die when trying to start it up. When i called BBM about it he was saying "oh its a swap car, the throttle body adaptation, yadda yadda." Basically he didn't know and didn't want to point blame at the charger. I feel as though the charger was creating so much drag on the motor that it could no idle. I had been tinkering with this for a few weeks mind you...i finally drove it and it made it a little less than 6 miles down the road before it grenaded. As soon as i remove the charger....idles fine. Whats the common denominator here?

    5. Member 3WheelnGTi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2008
      Location
      Colordao
      Posts
      1,107
      Vehicles
      98 GTI VrT_SOLD , 20th IY #1100 , 2010 Jetta
      08-27-2014 11:39 AM #5
      So the engine wouldn't idle with the charger in but once you took it out it would. Were you still running the software the provided?
      Last edited by 3WheelnGTi; 08-27-2014 at 11:44 AM.
      #1100 Garrett 50 trim-IE rods-Gen II 630s-Eurojet FMIC

    6. 08-27-2014 11:49 AM #6
      Yes, idled with same software/injectors/cam etc. Same everthing just without the charger

    7. 08-29-2014 01:29 PM #7
      Not sure if anyone is following this or cares...but thought i would update in case anyone else has the poor idea of dealing with BBM in the future.

      I filed complaint with the BBB. Bahn Brenners diagnosis of why the charger failed is completley wrong. I spent 3800 on this supercharger kit and it never worked, never ran and was given a bunch of BS excuses from John as to why it never worked. Stay away from BBM everybody, or you could end up with this response

      Customer purchased this product with no warranty. Product was not installed by a certified mechanic and was set up as an over-driven race / off road use only. Invoice and policy clearly state in writing no warranty expressed or implied. (i'm guessing he has to state that on the invoice so he can rip people off when his chargers break and it is not the customers fault)

      I spent 3800 on magic beans. So pissed right now
      Last edited by wolfcastle; 08-29-2014 at 01:55 PM.

    8. Member JamesS's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 17th, 2008
      Location
      Regina/Edmonton
      Posts
      2,616
      Vehicles
      91 JDM Corrado
      08-29-2014 08:24 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by wolfcastle View Post
      Not sure if anyone is following this or cares...but thought i would update in case anyone else has the poor idea of dealing with BBM in the future.

      I filed complaint with the BBB. Bahn Brenners diagnosis of why the charger failed is completley wrong. I spent 3800 on this supercharger kit and it never worked, never ran and was given a bunch of BS excuses from John as to why it never worked. Stay away from BBM everybody, or you could end up with this response

      Customer purchased this product with no warranty. Product was not installed by a certified mechanic and was set up as an over-driven race / off road use only. Invoice and policy clearly state in writing no warranty expressed or implied. (i'm guessing he has to state that on the invoice so he can rip people off when his chargers break and it is not the customers fault)

      I spent 3800 on magic beans. So pissed right now
      That sucks. I don't see why your setup would cause it to fail.

    9. 08-30-2014 10:15 PM #9
      They sold me faulty equipment and will not stand by their product

      As a side note, I uninstalled all of the bahn brenner lysolm junk today and got my car on the road. Running my tt 270 cam on stock software since i cannot find the software for the cam. Runs great, idles great and afrs are all in check...9:1 cr. Oh well its slow anyways. Leaving the spaced gasket in since i do still plan on boosting it with a proper turbo next time
      Last edited by wolfcastle; Yesterday at 12:51 AM.

    10. Member nw_vw's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 1st, 2009
      Location
      Nor Cal
      Posts
      302
      Vehicles
      MK2 G60 MK3 Mk4
      Yesterday 10:21 AM #10
      Looks like its time to go turbo! Sorry about your luck.

    11. Member 3WheelnGTi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2008
      Location
      Colordao
      Posts
      1,107
      Vehicles
      98 GTI VrT_SOLD , 20th IY #1100 , 2010 Jetta
      Yesterday 12:36 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by wolfcastle View Post
      Hey guys, i need help diagnosing why my charger failed. (ABA Lysolm kit) I'm being told that my warranty is rejected on the charger because of the setup i had. Specifiacally, because i am not running "bump" couplers, allowing the charge piping to flex with the motor. The diagnosis is that the motor/charger moved when driving and the piping caused enough stress on the charger to "flex" the case making the screws contact each other. Has anyone else ever heard of this?
      Doesn't seem like sound theory if you are running solid mounts and if your FMIC is secured to a solid mounting point if wouldn't cause pull down weight on the charger. Seems like just an excuse to not work with you and you would think if a customer spent that good of a chunk of change with a business they would be right there to help you out. to BBM and I'll take them of my web browsers favorite list and never buy from them, There is to many threads on the vortex like this of them not taking care of their customers.

      Quote Originally Posted by wolfcastle View Post
      ll. If the bearings go out on the charger, that can cause the screws to hit eachother also, right?
      Yes it would! Due to the metal on metal wear the tolerances would be compromised and allow the blades to make contact with the housing and themselves. This is the same for turbos, bad bearings lead to shaft play and contact from the compressor wheel to the housings......


      Looks like your getting played with bad

      Did you take a look at you oil in the pan? Was it clean or did it look like you were panning for metal?
      #1100 Garrett 50 trim-IE rods-Gen II 630s-Eurojet FMIC

    12. Yesterday 10:12 PM #12
      Yeah pulled the pan and it was pretty starry. Lots of chunks of metal. Pretty sure the bearings went bad before the screws touched...not the way around. I cant see the charger flexing like that. Hopefully John at bbm comes through and does what is right here...the failure was at no fault of my own.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •