VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The Third Time's the Charm

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  koolkevin43 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, my name is Hunter. I'm gonna use this build thread to keep track of the progress on my third MKII. My first was an '85 GTI, and my second was a '92 16V GTI, neither of which were great cars, but I loved them nonetheless. I've also had a Rave Green MKIV 1.8t, and my most recent, a B3 Passat, which is the main donor for the MKII:

So... some of you may remember this car:

I purchased it locally last week from user sicc83. 1991 Golf GL. Auto. 89,070 miles. I couldn't be happier with how clean the shell is. Even though the car has been sitting for about five years, the paint is still in great shape, although the trim has faded significantly. Anyways, that will all get taken care of later. For now I'm concentrating on getting the anemic DigiII 8v and auto trans combo out.

11AM this morning:

4PM:

Exhaust got hung up

Out:

Parts that are going in- going to stay 4 lug for ease of wheel selection and sleeper look.

VR6 w/ built head and TT 268s
02A w/ TDI 5th & 02J shifter
B3 pedal cluster
MKIII spindles to accept 11" rotors & Girling 60s
MKIV rear discs & calipers
Audi 25mm master cylinder

See less See more
#6 ·
Yea, I have a whole MK3 2.0 setup for it. Only thing staying is the manual steering rack.

Got my wiring finished up today. Had to repair a few wires on one knock sensor and the MAF, and then wrapped it with BMW loom tape.

Got my front brakes today as well. Girling 60s vs. stock

Seeing how it fits in a Corrado steelie:

Put some POR-15 along the driver frame rail:

And when I got home, my TDI .756 5th was here!

#9 ·
awesome, love seeing these builds. wish I had the time to do one myself :thumbup: :beer:

#10 ·
Haven't had a lot of time to work lately... but I did get that rusty ass subframe out.

Got the headliner pulled without breaking it.

Started on the rear brakes. Have to cut & re-flare the lines to accept MK4 calipers.

And last I pulled the stock 5th gear. I put the new .756 5th on but I wasn't able to finish because one of the circlips for the selector gear is broken and I need to find a replacement, although it should work because there's no telling how long it's been like that. Gears off:

#11 ·
No pictures today. Was all over the place doing random stuff.

- Removed auto shifter to see what I need to do to fit the MK3 box.
- Replaced all speakers
- Ran power, RCA, and line wires for sub amp
- Removed auto pedal cluster
- Replaced control arm bushings
- Cut hole in firewall for clutch master
- Put together 5th gear assembly in gearbox

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.