Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Trailer Hitch + Motorcycle Carrier

1. 08-29-2014 02:24 AM #1
      Hey guys, wondering if anyone has tried doing something like this: http://www.amazon.com/TMS-T-NS-MRC00...pr_product_top

I am thinking about getting a hitch, and putting something like that and a 200ish pound dirtbike, so around 300 pounds total. Dunno if this is possible/advisable. Did a quick search and haven't seen any posts with a load quite that heavy on the hitch.

Vehicles
      '00 Cabrio
      08-29-2014 04:39 AM #2
      I have a hitch that just bolts to the spare tire well, says its rated for 500lb tongue weight (pretty sure the only hitch available for a cabrio/golf)

I have hauled a complete 2.0 ABA with trans, front/rear subframe and suspension on a 4x8 trailer (single axle) with a wood floor and 3 wood sides. the engine had everything connected, as well as all the wood on the trailer, it was a heavy load (for the car i thought)

my car carried it fine, and pulled it fine as well.

as long as your hitch is installed right with the proper grade bolts you will be fine.

Vehicles
      '00 Cabrio
      08-29-2014 04:41 AM #3
      To add, my hitch is the smaller size, 1 1/4" not a 2"

4. 08-31-2014 12:50 PM #4
      Sweet, thanks for the info.

Looks like I could pretty easily use a trailer to tow a motorcycle/dirtbike... but everyone I talk to says I'd have problems just loading it straight onto the hitch via ramp, and in general not a good idea.

TBH I don't mind towing a trailer, it's just storage for the trailer that is gonna be tough for me.

Vehicles
      1998 Jetta TDI w/445k, 2014 Jetta TDI w/Premium
      08-31-2014 02:30 PM #5
      Seems like a terrible idea. VW specifies maximum tongue weight at 185 lbs. In addition, a cargo rack of any sort greatly amplifies applied force to the car's body due to cantilever action applied from the greater distance from the hitch. A motorcycle sitting back there MAY feel okay when the car is stationary. But forces are increased once the car is moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaniqua View Post
      I have a hitch that just bolts to the spare tire well, says its rated for 500lb tongue weight (pretty sure the only hitch available for a cabrio/golf)...
      as long as your hitch is installed right with the proper grade bolts you will be fine.
      Which hitch is THAT? I've never heard of a 1-1/4" hitch with that capacity. Do you have a link? Regardless, the strength of the hitch or bolts is not as much of an issue as whether the extra force may pull the bolts through the sheet metal.

Good Luck,

Scott

Vehicles
      '00 Cabrio
      Yesterday 04:40 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Stealth_TDI View Post
      Seems like a terrible idea. VW specifies maximum tongue weight at 185 lbs. In addition, a cargo rack of any sort greatly amplifies applied force to the car's body due to cantilever action applied from the greater distance from the hitch. A motorcycle sitting back there MAY feel okay when the car is stationary. But forces are increased once the car is moving.

Which hitch is THAT? I've never heard of a 1-1/4" hitch with that capacity. Do you have a link? Regardless, the strength of the hitch or bolts is not as much of an issue as whether the extra force may pull the bolts through the sheet metal.

Good Luck,

Scott

not sure, it was on my car when i purchased it. And yes, mine has big washers on the inside and out for that reason i am guessing. idk, worked fine for me and i towed said load appx 160 miles (in town, highway, 3 mile bridge over water)