Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1.8t 15psi piston compression cold. Piston wear

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      01 gti
      Yesterday 08:00 AM #1
      1.8t 280 whp 01 gti. Original engine problem was broken t-belt. But I've rebuilt the head since then. Here is a photo of piston wear on the side skirts... never seen this before, but I'm no pro. I was just going to deglaze the block new rings and put it back together as the engine only has 70k on the original engine rebuild.

Vehicles
      20th--'11 TDi Jetta
      Yesterday 09:36 AM #2
      Piston skirt wear won't cause the low compression more then likely you had bad rings. I would slap some new rings on them!

***If I were you I would also throw some upgraded rods and new bearing in there, cheap parts and worth the peace of mind of not throwing one out the side of the block if you decide to go more power!!
      Speed Kills.Save Your Life.Drive a Honda.

Shearer Fabrications.Garrett/HTA.Southbend.INA Engineering. Integrated Engineering.JE Pistons.Gonzo Tuning.Precision.Autotech cam.

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      01 gti
      Yesterday 09:50 AM #3
      Ya I was curious how much wear the piston skirt could do on the cylinder walls and what it is that piston 2 has the most wear. Could it be that the piston rings were not gasped correctly and do they sure down quicker. And in turn the side skirts vibrated the cylinder surface?

Vehicles
      20th--'11 TDi Jetta
      Yesterday 10:01 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by soxedace View Post
      Ya I was curious how much wear the piston skirt could do on the cylinder walls and what it is that piston 2 has the most wear. Could it be that the piston rings were not gasped correctly and do they sure down quicker. And in turn the side skirts vibrated the cylinder surface?
      The piston skirt can cause damage to the cylinder walls hard to tell from that photo but it looks like the coating has just worn off. I would check the block, you can do a basic check with you fingers and finger nails and see if you feel any deep scratches or gouges which may indicate more repair work ie: overbore. I would also take a good look and blueprint those pistons and make sure you don't have an out of round piston or to much play in the wrist pin area, just measure everything using factory specs and go from there.
      Speed Kills.Save Your Life.Drive a Honda.

Shearer Fabrications.Garrett/HTA.Southbend.INA Engineering. Integrated Engineering.JE Pistons.Gonzo Tuning.Precision.Autotech cam.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 1.8T, 2004 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T quattro, 1991 8v Wolfburg Jetta (retired).
      Yesterday 10:30 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by soxedace View Post
      1.8t 280 whp 01 gti. Original engine problem was broken t-belt. But I've rebuilt the head since then. Here is a photo of piston wear on the side skirts... never seen this before, but I'm no pro. I was just going to deglaze the block new rings and put it back together as the engine only has 70k on the original engine rebuild.
      Consider doing rods now that pistons are out.
      Turbo: GTX2867R 0.48 A/R T31; Engine: ALH 95.5mm crank, JE 83mm 9.5:1 pistons, IE rods, ARP bolts; Intake: R32 75mm TB, SEM IM; Intercooling: Upgraded SMIC; ECU: GTS Custom, 4bar MAP sensor; Fueling: G2 1200's, Aero 340 'double-pumper' intank, -6AN lines; Drivetrain: 02J trans, APTuning race gearset, 3.389 RP, Peloquin LSD, Bully Kevlar Clutch; Exhaust: 2.5in QTP cutout; Coming soon: 02C syncro trans + haldex. Why the New Mass is Invalid.