Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: B6 A4 1.8T with APR K04 Turbo Kit problems! P0299 P0455

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Audi A4 Ultrasport Avant 1.8t , 2003 VW GTI 20th AE , 1997 VW GTI Drivers Edition
      Yesterday 01:28 PM #1
      Hi I just purchases an Ultrasport Avant with this K04 turbo kit already installed and there seems to be a problem. I don't believe its a problem with this kit. Hopefully someone will know a direction to go.

Heres my problem.

When I bought it and drove it home 1,000 miles it seemed to run fine. It would boost to a consistent 15psi and hold which since I just bought it and didn't know a whole lot about the kit i figured it was normal. Now that i am home and have been driving for over a week other things are now happening. First let me mention how gutless this car feels in the lower RPM range. Feels like i have no bottom end torque at all. Been like that since i bought it. Now it only boosts to 10psi but seems to hold that 10 psi. Than after it only would boost 10 psi for a day or so the CEL came on with two codes. First is P0299 and second is P0455. First is a boost code second is a apparently a vacuum leak code i believe. I don't have VAG COM to run logs or anything so i was thinking maybe someone would know what direction for me to go from here?

Could it be a fueling issue? Fuel Filter? etc..
      PCV issue?
      DV? N75? Wastegate?
      Ive read similar things saying it could be those but hopefully someone has some insight thank you for your time!

Vehicles
      2002.5, Jetta, 1.8t
      Yesterday 01:55 PM #2
      Whoa there buddy.... the codes tell u its a vac leak.... and they symptoms point to that... ur getting wayyyyyy ahead of your self.
      Do a boost/vac leak test and find the leak.... IF there is no leak then look at the DV. If its the pvc or 75... the faults would be found with a boost leak test. The dv may be internally bad but that can be tested IF you dont find a leak.
      Chaotic Conceptz NW
      Pick your poison

253-273-9861 *txt works wonders... p.m.'n. Me doesn't work well because I do this on mobile web*

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      Yesterday 02:06 PM #3
      Sunspots. Definitely sunspots.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Audi A4 Ultrasport Avant 1.8t , 2003 VW GTI 20th AE , 1997 VW GTI Drivers Edition
      Yesterday 02:09 PM #4
      Alright I'll do a boost/vac test tonight when I get home. Ya I did seem to get ahead of myself.. I was just trying to get the info out there.. Oops. I didn't run a real leak test yet but under first look and visual and feeling around I couldn't find anything yet. But I will do that tonight and see if I can find anything. Thank you.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      Yesterday 02:12 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Toasterhoff View Post
      Alright I'll do a boost/vac test tonight when I get home. Ya I did seem to get ahead of myself.. I was just trying to get the info out there.. Oops. I didn't run a real leak test yet but under first look and visual and feeling around I couldn't find anything yet. But I will do that tonight and see if I can find anything. Thank you.
      Do a pressure test per the FAQ and an exhaust leak test per the FAQ.

Test the diverter valve per the FAQ.

Pull the plugs and check gap, condition, make, and model. Take a pic of them no flash, against a white background.

Report back with all findings.
      My Build

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Yesterday 02:13 PM #6
      Sunspots....

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      Yesterday 02:18 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Toasterhoff View Post
      Sunspots....
      That is my reply to you when you just started going nuts on diagnosis stuff.

Keep it simple. Don't change more than a part at a time. And always do good diagnosis before reaching any conclusion.
      My Build

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Yesterday 02:26 PM #8
      I know. Ha! I did go a little over board.. And I know.. I should have took more time to write my initial post.. Made my self seem more stupid than I actually am.. Haha! I will do those tests tonight and see what I can find. Thanks for the help.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Yesterday 07:45 PM #9
      Okay... I checked for leaks. Could not find anything... Is there a specific place to look that is common on the B6? Because I could not find anything after looking for about a good ten minutes.

Vehicles
      2002.5, Jetta, 1.8t
      Yesterday 08:09 PM #10
      Um... u have to leak test it... not look with ur eyes... u have to pressurize they system and listen for leaks or flapping rubber hoses. But most common leaks are at the dv nipple, under the manifold on any of the 4 ports, brake booster line, and all of the pcv lines.
      Chaotic Conceptz NW
      Pick your poison

253-273-9861 *txt works wonders... p.m.'n. Me doesn't work well because I do this on mobile web*

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Yesterday 08:10 PM #11
      I obviously did that... I'm not a complete noobie.. Haha!

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Yesterday 08:15 PM #12
      and as requested here's the spark plugs all of them look about identical to this and are gapped to around .040

Vehicles
      2002.5, Jetta, 1.8t
      Yesterday 08:21 PM #13
      P0455.... its eather your fuel cap is loose or missing or has a bad seal or your evap canister or fuel tank has a leak... if ur not leaking fuel then the evap canister has a large leak... but that could also mean the lines going to the evap canister are leaking... n249 system has lots of vac lines... they control the n112 and go to evap. Most those lines are under ur intake mani. Im not sure where those lines go to on a longitudinal engine tho so i cant really help u there.
      Chaotic Conceptz NW
      Pick your poison

Vehicles
      2002.5, Jetta, 1.8t
      Yesterday 08:22 PM #14
      .28 is where u need to be with a tune.
      Chaotic Conceptz NW
      Pick your poison

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Yesterday 08:24 PM #15
      I would say as of now the main concern is the low boost pressure and poor performance . They could be hand in hand but I did have the p0455 before this low boost psi started happening.

Vehicles
      2002.5, Jetta, 1.8t
      Yesterday 08:28 PM #16
      Yeah. Thats normaly a bad gas cap or its not screwd on tight.

Get new plugs and gap them at .28.... that may be the issues cause the other code is low boost pressure.... means leak, bad dv, bad n75, orrrrrr means that the n75 is cutting boost.... but when that happens normLy there is a misfire code too. Or a lean code.
      Chaotic Conceptz NW
      Pick your poison

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Yesterday 11:26 PM #17
      Well gapped my plugs to .028 didn't change anything. I guess tomorrow I will take the DV out and check that. Which is a forge DV. So not likely. Than after that I guess N75 is next bet?