Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: California VW CC with APR Stage 1 Only

Vehicles
      2014 CC R-Line
      09-19-2014 02:00 PM #1
      Hey fellow CA CC owners living in the land of 91 Octane.

What have been your real world benefits with the APR Stage 1 flash?

HP?

Torque?

Drivability?

Gas milage?

I want your real expereince not what the advertisments claim, please. I'm looking for cars with only the Stage 1 flash, please.

Thanks,

Joker-Machine

Vehicles
      2012 MK6 GTI
      09-19-2014 03:04 PM #2
      APR STAGE II // APR INTERCOOLER // VWR SUBFRAME MOUNT // H&R REAR SWAY BAR // KONI COILOVERS

one WOT a day keeps the carbon away

Vehicles
      '10 CC
      09-19-2014 03:42 PM #3
      Doesn't matter from which vendor, you'll feel the torque right off the bat. Think of upgrading your video card within your budget to improve your gaming experience. It definitely wakes the car up; of course, the acceleration improves. Gas mileage remains the same OR slight better for sure if you're not heavy on the foot on daily basis. Stage 1 really adds the kick to it. Suitable for daily driving for sure .

Possible FrankenT...

Vehicles
      2014 CC R-Line
      09-19-2014 04:07 PM #4
      I must not have communicated this clearly, my fault.

I understand that the flash brings changes and I'm not trying to compare one flash to another, so contrary the good fellow from Chicago's (btw not CA) implicatoin, this is not "is it a good thing to flash the car?" question?

So let me clarify....

It's my intention to flash my car as soon as it becomes available.

However, as you all know APR offers 3 levels of Octane compatiblity. I live in California where I only have access to 91 Octane.

I'd like to know what people are expereinceing here in CA, or in other places where they only have 91 Octane, for the Stage 1 by itself.

What kind of real world HP and Torque gains areaer you seeing?
      What kind of real world drivablity and gasmilage are you seeing?

Vehicles
      2014 CC R-Line
      09-19-2014 04:09 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by mango_springroll View Post
      Doesn't matter from which vendor, you'll feel the torque right off the bat. Think of upgrading your video card within your budget to improve your gaming experience. It definitely wakes the car up; of course, the acceleration improves. Gas mileage remains the same OR slight better for sure if you're not heavy on the foot on daily basis. Stage 1 really adds the kick to it. Suitable for daily driving for sure .
      thanks. Have you done any 91 Octane dynos?

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 CC Lux Limited 2.0T DSG
      09-19-2014 05:25 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Joker-Machine View Post
      I must not have communicated this clearly, my fault.

I understand that the flash brings changes and I'm not trying to compare one flash to another, so contrary the good fellow from Chicago's (btw not CA) implicatoin, this is not "is it a good thing to flash the car?" question?

So let me clarify....

It's my intention to flash my car as soon as it becomes available.

However, as you all know APR offers 3 levels of Octane compatiblity. I live in California where I only have access to 91 Octane.

I'd like to know what people are expereinceing here in CA, or in other places where they only have 91 Octane, for the Stage 1 by itself.

What kind of real world HP and Torque gains areaer you seeing?
      What kind of real world drivablity and gasmilage are you seeing?
      The APR charts are very close to actual power increase. They now only post 93 dyno graphs on their website. you can subtract 5-8 HP off the 93 WHP and that will be aprox what you will get running the 91 tune. MPG is very close to stock if you have a light foot but with the extra power its hard not to WOT. The driveabilty at stage 1 was a better experience than stock. Are you DSG? The DSG tune is the best driveabilty mod i have done.
      When i was Stage 1 i was quite happy with the results. It was a big gain over stock and put a big smile on my face. However, then the mod bug set in and now i dump all my extra cash into more mods .
      KCCO 2010 CC Lux Limited Mod List: APR Stage 2, APR DSG Tune, Forge WinTake, Aspherical Mirrors, Debadged, Hardwired Radar,Hotchkis 27MM RSB, Rev D DV, SPULEN TOP & TP, R Line MFSW w/Paddles, 034 Motorsports Strut Mounts, Koni SS Coils, Billy Boat TBE, Dectane Headlights, Podi Boost Gauge, Tyrolsport Deadset kit, Interior/Exterior LED Kit, R-Line Tails, Neuspeed FMIC, OZ Ultralaggera To Be Installed: Neuspeed power pulley, Snow M/W kit

Vehicles
      '10 CC
      09-19-2014 07:00 PM #7
      thanks. Have you done any 91 Octane dynos?
      Nope. I have REVO stage 1 tune.

Possible FrankenT...

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8t (sold), new hotness 2013 CCR
      09-20-2014 04:30 AM #8

ask and you shall receive...
      this month (9/3/14) got on a dyno and pulled. 211hp/247tq @ the wheels on 91oct. i ran on a mustang dyno, which are notorious for dyno-ing high horsepower cars low.
      so about ~250hp/290tq @ the flywheel. this is close to what APR is reporting on their website. i had stg1 for good year. the car had about 25k miles when i got dyno'd

MPG stayed relatively the same, depending on your driving style. the difference between stock and APR stg1 is night and day, you basically unlock your car's potential.

i also got bit in the a$$ by that mod bug...and added a few more things
      APR 2.0 TSI S3/Golf R K04 Conversion (version 3, was release this past month)
      APR Full Tune
      APR 3" downpipe with high flow cat
      Neuspeed Engine Torque Insert
      Neuspeed Front Mount Intercooler (CARB legal)
      Neuspeed P-Flo intake (CARB legal)

i'll be going back to that mustang dyno in a week or so after this heat wave passes Socal

car looks stock as fook...the wheels and stance make it stand out a bit. the car doesn't make too much more noise as far as exhaust, still stock sounding with all these mods. it might be due to the stock catback i still have on. waiting on a a dual outlet rear lower valance before i do the exhaust, might get the 4motion rear valance

if your looking for 100oct look here, last time it was updated was 2 months ago:
      http://www.davebarton.com/Unleaded_Racing_Fuel_in_SoCal
      if you don't mind paying about 10$ a gallon
      Last edited by SDgti1.8t2002; 09-20-2014 at 04:34 AM.
      2013 CC R-Line / APR K04 Turbo w/APR software / APR 3" Downpipe w/high flow cat (stock exhaust) / Neuspeed FMIC / Neuspeed P-Flo / Neuspeed Engine Torque Arm Insert / H&R SS Coilovers / H&R 27mm RSB / Avant Garde M510 wheels

Vehicles
      2014 CC R-Line
      09-20-2014 10:55 AM #9
      SDgti - thanks brother, this is exactly the information I was interested in knowing. Where do you get you work done as I'm in SD too.

JM

10. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 CC Sport 6MT
      09-20-2014 02:44 PM #10
      I know you specifically requested 91 octane data, but since there's a lack of fuel economy numbers I thought I'd chime in. I've had stage one for just under a year and I'm seeing 34-36 mpg at 70 mph on the highway with AC running. With some conservative driving I've averaged 34.63 over the past 9.3k miles (saved $308 based on a $3.72 avg for 93 octane). I'll be moving to LA in a few months and can let you know what I see on 91 if you're still deliberating at that point, but I doubt mpgs will be the deciding factor for you.

Just to pile on to the positive feedback, when I switch back to the stock tune for warranty work the engine feels strained. Stage 1 makes the car feel balanced and helps it perform like it was meant to. My tires slip coming out of 1st because of the torque so I'll be moving away from the stock tires soon.

11. Junior Member SDgti1.8t2002's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-20-2014 08:32 PM #11
      SDgti - thanks brother, this is exactly the information I was interested in knowing. Where do you get you work done as I'm in SD too.

JM
      all work done at Pure Motorsports when you go in, post on yelp to get a free shirt. they are in the Miramar area, close to K1 Speed i believe.

dyno was in Escondido, Infamous Motorsports better to call it in to make an appointment. these guys only do subaru's, and the dyno is a 4wd dyno, but they can convert to 2wd. all i did was get base numbers, horsepower and torque, i didn't have them hook up the other sensors, boost, exhaust temp, intake temp...ect.

-Art

intake just installed
      2013 CC R-Line / APR K04 Turbo w/APR software / APR 3" Downpipe w/high flow cat (stock exhaust) / Neuspeed FMIC / Neuspeed P-Flo / Neuspeed Engine Torque Arm Insert / H&R SS Coilovers / H&R 27mm RSB / Avant Garde M510 wheels

12. Junior Member Joker-Machine's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2014 CC R-Line
      09-21-2014 01:03 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by SDgti1.8t2002 View Post
      all work done at Pure Motorsports when you go in, post on yelp to get a free shirt. they are in the Miramar area, close to K1 Speed i believe.

dyno was in Escondido, Infamous Motorsports better to call it in to make an appointment. these guys only do subaru's, and the dyno is a 4wd dyno, but they can convert to 2wd. all i did was get base numbers, horsepower and torque, i didn't have them hook up the other sensors, boost, exhaust temp, intake temp...ect.

-Art

intake just installed
      Art - looking at and reading your mods. When you did the posted dyno did that include intake, down pipe, turbo etc? Or was it stock + stage 1?

13. Junior Member SDgti1.8t2002's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-21-2014 04:29 AM #13
      Art - looking at and reading your mods. When you did the posted dyno did that include intake, down pipe, turbo etc? Or was it stock + stage 1?
      only had stg1 with the FMIC...just waiting for the weather to cool off and get back on the dyno.