Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: clutch replacement questions, which clutch

09-21-2014 09:55 AM #1
      first- 03 jetta gls 1.8t 5spd, gts stage 1 (gonzo stage 2) tune, and a bunch of bolt ons, 125,000 miles
      my clutch is slipping and has a limited amount of life left. I think changing a clutch is beyond my own mechanical capabilities. I'm going to talk to a couple garages this week to see their opinions and quotes. my first question is how many garage labor hours am I in for? how long is this going to take them?
      I have been looking at stage 1 clutches form ecs. they say they are good up to 250hp which should be all that I need. stage 1, is that what I want? and the flywheel, which do I want? I see a steel 14lbs and a single mass 20.5lbs. I think I want the steel flywheel. its cheaper and lighter. I realize I may want the rotational mass of the single mass, but I think I want lighter for the faster revs and boost.
      any and all info and thoughts will be appreciated. thanks

Vehicles
      Tow truck
      09-21-2014 10:33 AM #2
      Oem vr6 clutch kit with a g60 flywheel. Good to about 300.

With a friend a clutch job is cake.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rictus
      Don't bomb threads with any variation of any combination of letters, numbers, words, phrases, icons, smilies, memes, pictures, videos or any other sort of post.
      Maintenance is paramount.
      GTS 3071R l Eurokraft Performance
      PM for Powdercoating

Vehicles
      2000 VW Jetta TDI (daily) 2000 VW GTI 1.8t (lawn ornament)
      09-21-2014 11:52 AM #3
      I bought the ecs stage 1 clutch. I havent installed it but I haven't seen anybody say anything bad about it.
      Instagram : @davexbro \ 1.8T \ TDI \ Lace Up \ BeastCoast \ Rochester NH GTG http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...chester-NH-GTG
      Quote Originally Posted by 87vr6 View Post
      Sucks having a 6 speed, but not really.

09-23-2014 05:37 AM #4
      so I got a quote from a garage, $850 in parts and $1450 total. I'm still not sure what im going to do. but I have little money right now so I have time to figure. but for that price I may end up doing it myself. obviously I can get parts cheaper than that, looking to find a much lower labor cost tho.

Vehicles
      Tow truck
      09-23-2014 08:03 AM #5
      Yeah. That's way too much. The clutch flywheel kit I bought for my BT setup didn't even cost that much in parts.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rictus
      Don't bomb threads with any variation of any combination of letters, numbers, words, phrases, icons, smilies, memes, pictures, videos or any other sort of post.
      Maintenance is paramount.
      GTS 3071R l Eurokraft Performance
      PM for Powdercoating