Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1.8T Sputtering and Flashing Check Engine Light

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Pontiac Sunfire, 2004 VW Jetta
      Today 10:04 AM #1
      Hey guys. This only sort of happens occasionally, but it is happening more and more lately. Early in the morning or with bad weather, my car seems to lose a lot of power and the engine will sputter when I press on the accelerator. If I am idling, my tach will bounce from 500 RPMs to 1000 RPMs. Also when I am accelerating the check engine light will flash.

I did some research on the topic and someone said it could be the catalytic converter, however I have a 3" exhaust, turbo back that is catless. I suspect it could be a bad coil pack or something? I have had a steady CEL since I swapped the exhaust, but I suspect that is because my car is catless. I never had any issues until the weather started to cool down.

This could be unrelated, but sometimes when I am heavy on the gas when accelerating, my car seems to sort of off-and-on accelerate. Like it's trying to go somewhere and finally kicks in. I know there's turbo lag, but this is much more gradual. Usually only happens in first gear.

My car is manual, 2004 GLS with aftermarket exhaust and a stage 2 clutch.

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
      Today 10:42 AM #2
      spark plugs? coils? sounds like a misfire

bad weather = moisture = wiring harness damage?

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Today 10:56 AM #3
      The plugs are less than a year old, I'd say but I suppose it's possible they could have fouled up. I am sure I am getting a misfire, but I will have to pull the codes to see what cylinder. It is just odd that the misfire only happens early in the morning or when it's raining. That's what throws me off.

I'm not sure how the wiring harnesses could have got damaged. I suppose one could be loose. Once I was getting the issue and I turned the car off and wiggled the harnesses on each cylinder and the problem went away. Another day I wasn't so lucky, so it is hard to say.

Vehicles
      The Chariot
      Today 11:04 AM #4
      A flashing CEL is indicative of a misfire check and see which coilpack or packs is the offender. Also i suggest replacing the plugs.

To note: Over time heat and vibration cracks the insulation on the coilpack harness, inspect the wiring back there for any cracks or abrasions in the harness. Several sites sell a coilpack harness replacement in the event you find its damaged and want to repair/ replace it
      ES.AD

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Today 11:37 AM #5
      Awesome. Thanks for the replies guys. I will see if I can locate the misfire and replace the harness for that cylinder. I will update you all once I figure out what fixed my problem.