Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 18 of 18

    Thread: Long Island, Central / Eastern Suffolk GTG and Cruise?

    1. Member prom king's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 14th, 2004
      Location
      The Castle, Long Island NY
      Posts
      15,521
      Vehicles
      86 Scirocco 16v, 2010 Golf TDI
      10-09-2014 08:40 AM #1
      The Long Island Volkswagen Club Show was a lot fun, was great to see a lot of old faces and a lot of new ones.

      We used to have a bigger presence of Volkswagens around here. When I say presence I mean weekly GTGs at Island 16, Borders in Lake Grove...
      We used to do an fall cruise to Darkside Haunted House.


      A lot of these traditions have fallen out, most of us don't belong to " car clubs " anymore, and have families so time is limited.

      A couple of times over the past few years I've tried to put together a fall cruise people say they'll show up, and they don't...

      Well I'm in a good mood today, and I'm down to try to do this again.

      I'd like to gather interest in doing something, whether it's pumpking/apple picking on a Sunday.

      Cruise to a haunted house on a Saturday.

      A nice long Cruise through the North Fork to a Vineyard?

      A cruise to Montauk?

      I'd like to see who is interested in doing something, before winter time.

      Would be in November sometime.
      Last edited by prom king; 10-09-2014 at 08:44 AM.

    2. Member p c's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 26th, 2006
      Location
      Long Island
      Posts
      775
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI
      10-09-2014 09:32 AM #2
      Sounds like fun
      2011 CSG GTI 6MT : APRK04 : APR resonated downpipe : SPM street catback : APR stage I + II intake : APR boost tap : AWE boost gauge : KONI coils : NEUSPEED rear sway : WHITELINE endlinks : BBS CO : Coolingmist water meth : BSH tbp : AWE top : BSH catchcan : VF engineering short shift : 42dd shift bushings : Southbend Stage 2 silent : Oem front lip : Oem led tails : GFB DV+ relocated DV

    3. Senior Member A2jettafreak's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 24th, 2002
      Location
      Somerville, NJ
      Posts
      22,544
      Vehicles
      83 Rabbit Gti And 90 jetta coupe(Daily)
      10-09-2014 10:52 AM #3
      Miss our fall cruise.. i know you came to it.. bump for joe
      COOLWATER VW CLUB @Coolwatervw
      @A2jettafreak Say hello
      Mk2 GTI PART OUT. -----> http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...lla-tails-Mint
      If You need mk1/mk2/mk3 parts in tri-state area lmk.

    4. Member BLKSUNSHINE's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 20th, 2007
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      6,908
      Vehicles
      Bagged MK5 & MK6 TDI JSW / 981 Cayman
      10-09-2014 11:52 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by prom king View Post
      The Long Island Volkswagen Club Show was a lot fun, was great to see a lot of old faces and a lot of new ones.

      We used to have a bigger presence of Volkswagens around here. When I say presence I mean weekly GTGs at Island 16, Borders in Lake Grove...
      We used to do an fall cruise to Darkside Haunted House.


      A lot of these traditions have fallen out, most of us don't belong to " car clubs " anymore, and have families so time is limited.

      A couple of times over the past few years I've tried to put together a fall cruise people say they'll show up, and they don't...

      Well I'm in a good mood today, and I'm down to try to do this again.

      I'd like to gather interest in doing something, whether it's pumpking/apple picking on a Sunday.

      Cruise to a haunted house on a Saturday.

      A nice long Cruise through the North Fork to a Vineyard?

      A cruise to Montauk?

      I'd like to see who is interested in doing something, before winter time.

      Would be in November sometime.


      I'm down for sure!

      Also, the meets at Borders / Michaels in Stony brook go every Wednesday night

    5. 10-10-2014 10:28 AM #5
      I'm following, let's see where this goes...

    6. Member VR6_EURO's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 7th, 2009
      Location
      Queens, NY
      Posts
      962
      Vehicles
      Mk6 Jetta GLI, Mk4 Jetta Wagon
      10-12-2014 12:09 AM #6
      Deff interested

    7. Member prom king's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 14th, 2004
      Location
      The Castle, Long Island NY
      Posts
      15,521
      Vehicles
      86 Scirocco 16v, 2010 Golf TDI
      10-13-2014 08:52 AM #7
      Cruise to Greenport?

      Greenport Brewing Company & Claudios?

      Tentative date for November 1st.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2006
      Location
      Commack, NY
      Posts
      392
      Vehicles
      2013 Beetle, 1977 Westfalia
      10-13-2014 11:22 AM #8
      Long Island Volkswagen Club used to be great, before the "officers" started stealing money and telling people they were thrown out of the "club" that's not why most of us got into clubs. Then, "LIVCPREZ", along with the person who runs the website (unnamed) and the treasurerer were all "in bed" and took out a vendetta on some very active members.

      The "club" still lives on, with cruises and get togethers but in a different form. If you're in LIVC, you surely have heard half the story and know about the DVG.

      Just the same, DVG is largely Aircooled. Most people don't run waterpumpers. If there were a GTG outside of LIVC's domain it'd be awesome to meet some folks.

    9. Member LiBlackRabbit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 8th, 2003
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      3,598
      Vehicles
      2010 Subaru Impreza, 1997 VW Golf Jazz
      10-15-2014 09:02 PM #9
      Wow, never heard the term "water pumpers" before, that's funny.

      I've been away from the scene for almost 5 years now and I'm surprised. This forum used to have all kinds of gtg's and meets and cruises. What happened? Did the scene just become to "dapper" and "douchy?"


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    10. Member -teknien-'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2004
      Location
      Long Island NY
      Posts
      10,767
      Vehicles
      83 GTI, 03 GOLF
      10-17-2014 10:56 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by LiBlackRabbit View Post
      Wow, never heard the term "water pumpers" before, that's funny.

      I've been away from the scene for almost 5 years now and I'm surprised. This forum used to have all kinds of gtg's and meets and cruises. What happened? Did the scene just become to "dapper" and "douchy?"


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Nightly GTGs are still held all over the place. Thsi defference is they now take place on Instagram and Facebook.

      I have been out of the standing in a parking lot scene for a long long time, but I do miss those days. Im an OG Autokrieg member. Our GTG at sports plus and FMFT cruises were awesome. I use to love when we would roll out to Jersey as a club and visit our German Squad friends. The "club" pesence was awesome back in the day.

      All that being said a Fall cruise would be cool. I think a meet in the middle of the island somewhere using the old FMFT-esque route to Riverhead, then to the north fork, across shelter island, and drive back west through the hamptons would be great.
      Quote Originally Posted by g60vw View Post
      If I thought like that I would have gotten out of mk1's back when they were still A1's
      Quote Originally Posted by goosler View Post
      screw all of you & your stupid cars.........see you at madness!
      I'm a 1%er

    11. Member LiBlackRabbit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 8th, 2003
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      3,598
      Vehicles
      2010 Subaru Impreza, 1997 VW Golf Jazz
      10-17-2014 11:25 AM #11
      Autokrieg...awesome times, I got into the last FMFT and miss those times. Sports Plus is now LA Fitness, miss those bumper cars haha.

    12. Member h2oveedub96's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 26th, 2000
      Location
      Patchogue, NY
      Posts
      1,908
      Vehicles
      09 Passat, 09 Routan, 97 Jetta, 81 Rabbit
      10-18-2014 08:25 PM #12
      wouldn't mind doing a cruise to montauk, have to put car seats in the jetta

    13. Member prom king's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 14th, 2004
      Location
      The Castle, Long Island NY
      Posts
      15,521
      Vehicles
      86 Scirocco 16v, 2010 Golf TDI
      10-21-2014 08:48 AM #13
      Thinking this route.

      Meet at North Ocean Rest Stop ( Next to applebleeds ) the park and ride

      North Ocean North to Canal.
      Make a right on Canal

      Canal to Whiskey Road

      Whiskey Road to RIDGE Road, Left on Ridge Road

      Head North to the intersection of 25A and North Country Road.

      Hop on North Country Road.

      Take North Country to the end, take 25A to SOUND ave

      Take Sound Ave to Edwards AVE

      I believe this was the old Darkside Cruise route?

      I would be down to do this route, to either cruise to Greenport.

      Preliminary date. November 8th?

    14. Member VR6_EURO's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 7th, 2009
      Location
      Queens, NY
      Posts
      962
      Vehicles
      Mk6 Jetta GLI, Mk4 Jetta Wagon
      10-21-2014 08:51 AM #14
      Sounds like fun!

    15. Member -teknien-'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2004
      Location
      Long Island NY
      Posts
      10,767
      Vehicles
      83 GTI, 03 GOLF
      10-21-2014 03:17 PM #15
      meet at park n ride off LIE right before sunken meadow. take sunken meadow north to the 25 area.... go from there! adds a little bit more driving roads, and people from out west have a closer meet spot!
      Quote Originally Posted by g60vw View Post
      If I thought like that I would have gotten out of mk1's back when they were still A1's
      Quote Originally Posted by goosler View Post
      screw all of you & your stupid cars.........see you at madness!
      I'm a 1%er

    16. Member LiBlackRabbit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 8th, 2003
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      3,598
      Vehicles
      2010 Subaru Impreza, 1997 VW Golf Jazz
      10-21-2014 03:26 PM #16
      Maybe 2 meeting spots and the one leaving from further west leaves earlier? I for one would be up for the one you mentioned teknien. Once you hit 25A from Sunken Meadow, its a bit tight in the beginning (lights, 1 lane, etc.). After you get through Kings Park, Smithtown, and into Stony Brook it frees up a bit.

    17. Member -teknien-'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2004
      Location
      Long Island NY
      Posts
      10,767
      Vehicles
      83 GTI, 03 GOLF
      10-22-2014 12:19 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by LiBlackRabbit View Post
      Maybe 2 meeting spots and the one leaving from further west leaves earlier? I for one would be up for the one you mentioned teknien. Once you hit 25A from Sunken Meadow, its a bit tight in the beginning (lights, 1 lane, etc.). After you get through Kings Park, Smithtown, and into Stony Brook it frees up a bit.
      There are other roads to travel than 25a at that point. I know the route but not the names.
      Quote Originally Posted by g60vw View Post
      If I thought like that I would have gotten out of mk1's back when they were still A1's
      Quote Originally Posted by goosler View Post
      screw all of you & your stupid cars.........see you at madness!
      I'm a 1%er

    18. Junior Member MyDirtyDiesel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2014
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      25
      Vehicles
      2004 Jetta TDI
      Today 07:58 AM #18
      Better to exit the parkway (last exit before the park) westbound on 25a, at the bottom of the hill turn right on to Sunken Meadow Road...continue until it becomes St. Johnland Road, left on Landing Road, right on Landing Ave, left on Edgewood Ave, left on 25a (North Country Road at this point)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •