Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: DSG slipped and broken? Low speed grinding crunching dragging noise

Vehicles
      2001 Audi TTQ 1.8T(Sold) 2010 Audi TTQ 2.0T 1981 Rabbit Pickup 1.6D
      10-11-2014 12:15 AM #1
      Hey,
      Just rolled over 105,000K miles in my 2010 TT Quattro. Just flushed the DSG fluid and changed the filter. Everything felt fine for about 3 weeks, until tonight. pulled out of a side street and got it up to redline but it wouldn't shift into 2nd. Kind of went tap tap on the red line then eventually shifted. I don't think it slammed into gear or anything. After that I slowed down and it sounded like I was dragging over something in low RPM. After getting out, I didn't see anything underneath the car and started moving again, only to hear the dragging clicking grinding noise again. I pull over into a side lot and drive it straight and reverse. While in sitting still in park, nuetral, drive or reverse, no noises. while driving in reverse or forward in first gear, I hear the noise the whole time. Its a rotational click feeling/noise. If I am going like 10 MPH while gasing it, I feel the click/ small grind. As soon as I left off the gas, while still rolling, the noise goes away and doesn't come back until hitting the gas a little bit more.

Check out the video link below of my driving in reverse at low RPM in first gear. Ignore the sound at the beginning of some car driving by.

I am afraid to drive it now and will probably get AAA to take it to Audi tomorrow.

PS: I don't have the skid plate on right now because I just did the flush, so it isn't that. I smelled something funny going on while doing the video as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i64FS2Cxr-A

Vehicles
      2001 Audi TTQ 1.8T(Sold) 2010 Audi TTQ 2.0T 1981 Rabbit Pickup 1.6D
      11-11-2014 02:47 PM #2
      ok so I brought it to a shop and they said it was 2 quarts low on DSG fluid. I guess I didn't do the tutorial correctly. Lesson learned...saving myself $200 is not worth the possible damage.

OK so does anyone know what damage is done by hitting redline when DSG fluid is low?

Anyone know how to remove the DSG trans on a car with quattro? I cannot afford the $5500 bill. I would like to do this myself. Always nice to offset this kind of cost by getting more tools. Shoot at this 5.5K cost I could buy a crate DSG off ebay, have an automotive lift installed, get a transmission jack, and the list goes on.

more or less I cannot find a tutorial for DSG removal on an Audi with quattro.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      05 MK1 3.3 TT V6T
      11-17-2014 12:20 PM #3
      Hi, sorry to hear your woes.
      I think i have included some info on DSG removal in my build thread, maybe associated with cam chain replacement..DSG is easier coming out than going in and should really be an engine out job for ease, but ive done it with the engine in as well as out.
      I have a spare mk2 box already crated if your really struggling but im in lil ol UK.
      Not many tools required but you may have to remove the shorter driveshaft and drop the sub-frame, which means disconnecting the steering rack..
      One job leads onto another and becomes a PITA as i did it by trial and error.

ps is your mechatronic ok..
      Steve