Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: CV boot clamp crimper tool ? and clamp ?

1. 10-29-2014 06:51 PM #1
      Ive got to redo my CVs and my inner tie rod ends.

What crimper tool do i buy, and what clamps and where do i buy this stuff ?

I went to NAPA and got their crimper tool which is a socket crank design, but the jackwaggons gave me a clamp for it that wouldnt work with tool they sold me. I will return both and seek more intelligent retailer...

2. 10-30-2014 06:06 PM #2
      so what ive read is there are basically 2 styles of clamp :

the band clamp and the ear clamp.

The ear clamp is what you probably have on your car now, and thats what NAPA has sold me.

You are supposed to use special pliers to crimp them and dimple the ear, such as the Lisle 30800.

Napa apparently sold me the band style crimp tool, which actually looks like a better tool. So I will see if Napa has a crimper tool for the ear style clamps.

My only other question at this point is how do you tension the ear style clamps? Do I just wrap the clamp around the boot and hold it with finger pressure, then crimp it? It seems like it will be very loose, and allow grease to seep out ?

Vehicles
      90 G60 (since new) 93+VR 13 GTI
      10-30-2014 08:10 PM #3
      Oetiker is the company that VW uses for it's clamps. Their standard jaw pincers work fine. You can get the ear from the top or the side, depending on it's location. They run about $30. I've had the same pair for close to twenty years now.

The one's you have pictured are massive overkill for the job. Honestly, a pair of side cutters will do it. McMaster-Carr is the go-to place for gap-less clamps.

4. 10-31-2014 09:31 AM #4
      How does 1 tension the tongue/groove ear clamps before crimping ? Just with finger pressure ? Seems too loose.

Vehicles
      90 G60 (since new) 93+VR 13 GTI
      10-31-2014 01:01 PM #5
      Well, you need to get the correct size clamp, for starters. The clamping range is printed on the clamp, under the "Oetiker". I think the CV boot is ~97mm. Each clamp will have about a three millimeter range. The clamp is tight enough when you can't spin it around by it's ear.

I position the clamp with my other hand on the backside (180*) of whatever I'm clamping. If you can't get your hand in there, use the tool to apply just enough crimp to get it tight. From there, twist it into whatever position is accessible, then finish the crimp.