Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1.8t MK2 swap

Vehicles
      2003 Audi A4, Mk5 Jetta , Routan
      11-14-2014 03:57 PM #1
      Hi guys I am started my first attempt of a swap .. I have done lots of research I going with a AWP 1.8t and a g60 transmission so any input would be great.
      I will have lots of questions[IMG]jpg[/IMG]

2. Member
      11-14-2014 11:57 PM #2
      What year is your car? Do you have CE2 for wiring? If you do have CE2 then you can buy an adapter harness so it is almost plug and play for the wiring. You will need to do an immo defeat for the ECM but there have been a lot of people have done this so getting information will not be hard. Should be a fun project, I really like my 1.8T which goes well but that in a car that weighed 600 plus pounds less would be a riot.
      - 2000 Audi A4
      - 1994 Corrado VR6
      - 1991 Jetta Syncro Coupe

Vehicles
      2003 Audi A4, Mk5 Jetta , Routan
      11-18-2014 08:01 AM #3
      What is the ce2 wiring ? My car is a 1992 Gti has anyone have any experience using the jumper harness from a company call stance dub ?

Vehicles
      91 jetta
      11-22-2014 05:43 PM #4
      I'm also interested in any info anyone has; mostly first hand experience at this point. I've done quite a bit of research myself and this is not my first swap, but it is my first 1.8t swap. i'm confident I can do it, I just haven't decided which route to go...there are so many options on the market at this time.

BFI has their distributor kit, but that involves swapping to mk3 obd2 wiring and ecu. this is not my first choice for a few reasons; 1) being the distributor(there's better technology than this primitive alternative. 2) mk3 wiring, most likely you'll have to pull it from a junkyard car or maybe you can get it when someone is parting one out, but you don't know for sure if that harness and ecu have any issues. and you have to wire all this into the ce2 fusebox, basically an aba wiring swap and but with a 1.8t

stock wiring from a 1.8t using the factory 1.8t ecu. there are 2 ways to go about this. 1) get the entire wiring harness, ecu, fusebox, steering column, cluster and keys. and completely swapping everything. or 2)get early 1.8t wiring from an AEB motor and follow the wiring diagram here http://myweb.whitman.syr.edu/srotblat/swap/
      this is the best guide ive found so far.

then there is a company out of the UK called Quantum Performance Engineering, and they make a plug and play wiring harness with a standalone ecu that's fully programmable. they take a stock 1.8t harness and customize it to work with the standalone made by MBE. this is supposed to plug right into the ce2 harness for power and you can have the car running (in less than an hour)with your stock ce2 mk2 gauge cluster, fully functional.

ive looked at stancedubs page a few times and I don't trust them for the most part or until I hear good things, the price is soo low and some of there information seems to be a bit off as far as drive by wire stuff goes, you don't have to have drive by wire in the mk2 if you have immo defeat for it, AEB wiring/ecu, or standalone. but not to mention with a name like "stancedubs" I CANNOT take them seriously.

lugtronics is also a good standalone solution.

and ce2 wiring is what came in all cars 89 and up, some cars pre-89 had ce2 but not many. it makes swaps a lot easier if you plan on using the factory wiring and ecu.

5. Member
      11-22-2014 08:16 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by 1dvs1.8t View Post
      What is the ce2 wiring ? My car is a 1992 Gti has anyone have any experience using the jumper harness from a company call stance dub ?
      I have never touched one of those harnesses but everyone who has bought one has nothing but good things to say about it. Your car does have CE2 so a lot of the wiring but not all will be plug and play.
      - 2000 Audi A4
      - 1994 Corrado VR6
      - 1991 Jetta Syncro Coupe

Vehicles
      97 Silverstone grey jetta VR-SC , 02 S6
      Yesterday 06:58 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by austinweisVR View Post

ive looked at stancedubs page a few times and I don't trust them for the most part or until I hear good things, the price is soo low and some of there information seems to be a bit off as far as drive by wire stuff goes, you don't have to have drive by wire in the mk2 if you have immo defeat for it, AEB wiring/ecu, or standalone.
      The stancedubs swap harness is not made for the passat/a4 motors/wiring. They are made for the Mk4 and Audi TT motor,ecu and wiring which are dbw, except early 2.0.
      The swap harness plugs in between the mk4/TT harness and the ce2 fuse box with the stock cluster functional.
      There are other companies that convert to dbc but you have to run their software.
      With the stancedubs harness the motor runs like original, like vvt ,wideband o2... depending on motor, and you can use any software you'd like ,United, apr, Uni, 1.8t BT, vr6t...
      Last edited by SilverTrek12v; Yesterday at 07:07 PM.