VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Golf R Variant Revealed, Drops in L.A.

18K views 126 replies 70 participants last post by  vwluger22 
#1 ·

Here's an interesting turn of events. VW just dropped info on the Golf R Variant that we ran HERE.

Does this mean USA? That it's showing in L.A. suggests it is. We're seeing sites like Jalopnik confirming it but we're not sure we want to make that jump yet (even though we hope like hell that it is). We've got Jamie en route to Los Angeles now and he'll get the lowdown. In the meantime, more info and pics HERE.

See less See more
#8 ·
Before the Internet, VW could make cars in other countries, never off them in the US, and we wouldn't know. With the Internet, we now get to fully see what a variety of cars are offered elsewhere and what we are missing out on. Now VW decides to smash it in our face even more by bringing it to an autoshow in America. I don't know what we did to piss them off, but they are vindictive.

#23 ·
So is the LA Show just for Americans? :screwy: It is a small world. VW should be able to make international introductions anywhere they wish. BTW, when exactly couldn't you know about every model VW made worldwide? You can't pick up a magazine? Or watch TV?

#11 ·
build it!!!

Amg wagon overpriced, r-variant volvo wagon non exsistant. Cadillac poor marketing. Only real competition would be subaru who's outback, impreza, forester wagon are the bulk of their sales. Time to bring back the performance wagon vw! At least a limited edition bunch to test how strong the market is.

#12 ·
Amg wagon overpriced, r-variant volvo wagon non exsistant. Cadillac poor marketing. Only real competition would be subaru who's outback, impreza, forester wagon are the bulk of their sales. Time to bring back the performance wagon vw! At least a limited edition bunch to test how strong the market is.
The V60 T6 R-Design has 300hp and AWD. That's an R Volvo.

#13 ·
Submitted to VW's customer care link :
PLEASE! I've never asked you guys for anything. I've driven (and even sold) VW's faithfully for 30 years. Even when they sucked. I want to purchase a 2015 Golf R Varient. I promise to pay sticker and keep it squeaky clean. I'll sing its praises on every Internet forum I can find. Ill even wear a VW branded windbreaker in public places.

Love,

Steve Meyer and family

#18 ·
And I thought I wanted a two door R...

MY love of the Wagon is being tested...

Good thing I can move my BMW 325i five speed touring tag to a R wagon... WGNATOR:laugh:

My wife even liked it harr harr harr... Until she finds out how much it cost:facepalm:

#21 ·

Does this mean USA? That it's showing in L.A. suggests it is. We're seeing sites like Jalopnik confirming it but we're not sure we want to make that jump yet (even though we hope like hell that it is). We've got Jamie en route to Los Angeles now and he'll get the lowdown. In the meantime, more info and pics HERE.
Unless I'm mistaken, I believe Jalopnik said it was coming to the US....for an auto show.

#22 ·
I was thinking about getting rid of my A4 for a Golf R next year but with the possibility of starting a family in the near future, getting another hatchback (my wife already has a Ford Focus) isn't all the practical. This car literary checked all the boxes for me, I even like the Blue, if they confirm this for the US market I'll drive down to the VW dealership and put a deposit down tomorrow and hold on to my A4 for another year.

#26 ·
The sales would be split up between be this R varient and this beast:

#30 ·
Now this I would buy in a heartbeat!!!:eek::p:thumbup::heart::eek:

#27 ·
Wonderful!

Im in if it comes. Will be needing a new car within the next year. Drove 2 VWs (incl a B5.5 Passat wagon for 10 years, so maybe a bit biased;) and gave VW the dodge for unexciting products the past few years, and went to a BMW 335D - but this would be a strong case to come back!

#29 ·
Doh! I've been click baited again!

Seriously though, there is a market here for wagons, especially AWD wagons. I'm surprised that Subaru has the monopoly on them especially considering that every Subaru I've been in in the past 20 years has been on the verge of shaking itself apart. Hopefully you're right and VW will try to take some of that market share.

I own a 2008 Passat Wagon with the TSi and a 6 speed and I'm truly spoiled, it's luxurious, fast, has a ton of room and even at 110K it's solid. Although the B6's handling does leave a lot to be desired I just don't think I could downsize to a Sportwagen, I am in line for a Golf R though.

#31 ·
My Letter to VW Corporate:

Sweet Fancy Moses! My first VWV post in years and its about this... thing.

Dear VW Honchos:

After being burned by the debacle that was the MkIV, and its various not-ready-for-prime-time issues as I'm sure you recall (or should have recalled), I haven't stopped liking your cars. Even in the era of the blah-inspired Golf/Jetta/Passat, I still find something about your vehicles, redeeming and appealing. Perhaps because in a sea of blah, your cars are still somewhat interesting internally, if not externally.

While the rest of the world gets Scirocco's, Polo's, and minivans not-based on Chryslers, we get the 35-year old borrowed-from-BMW marketing of "one sausage, three lengths." Thanks, VW. Really. Way to inspire something other than a midday nap.

And then, like when I was in middle school and the cute chick across the dance floor at the end of the dance made eye contact with me for a split second and I immediately had visions of a brick Cape Cod with white picket fence and a bad-ass SportWagen parked in the driveway and a slobbering Golden Retriever and 2.4 kids running around in liederhosen- and then she reached out for the guy next to her held his hand and her parents drove them both home, you show us glimpses of hope and then as soon as we can relish in the what-could-be--- dash our dreams at the same time!

Shimmers of a light at the end of the tunnel of cars seemingly designed for fleet status! Cars that interest the enthusiasts! The light shined and the Good Lord saw that it was good!

But, then you don't ever bother to sell them here.

You get in the car, drive away, and leave yet another empty spot in our hearts.

For shame, VW. For shame. You remain the ultimate tease. A harbinger of things that could but will never be.

I won't get my hopes up. I won't become blinded by unfettered optimism.

F*** that! VW! BRING THIS DAMNED THING HERE! DADDY LIKE! DADDY WANT!

Signed,

DeeJoker

#32 ·
Sweet Fancy Moses! My first VWV post in years and its about this... thing.

Dear VW Honchos:

After being burned by the debacle that was the MkIV, and its various not-ready-for-prime-time issues as I'm sure you recall (or should have recalled), I haven't stopped liking your cars. Even in the era of the blah-inspired Golf/Jetta/Passat, I still find something about your vehicles, redeeming and appealing. Perhaps because in a sea of blah, your cars are still somewhat interesting internally, if not externally.

While the rest of the world gets Scirocco's, Polo's, and minivans not-based on Chryslers, we get the 35-year old borrowed-from-BMW marketing of "one sausage, three lengths." Thanks, VW. Really. Way to inspire something other than a midday nap.

And then, like when I was in middle school and the cute chick across the dance floor at the end of the dance made eye contact with me for a split second and I immediately had visions of a brick Cape Cod with white picket fence and a bad-ass SportWagen parked in the driveway and a slobbering Golden Retriever and 2.4 kids running around in liederhosen- and then she reached out for the guy next to her held his hand and her parents drove them both home, you show us glimpses of hope and then as soon as we can relish in the what-could-be--- dash our dreams at the same time!

Shimmers of a light at the end of the tunnel of cars seemingly designed for fleet status! Cars that interest the enthusiasts! The light shined and the Good Lord saw that it was good!

But, then you don't ever bother to sell them here.

You get in the car, drive away, and leave yet another empty spot in our hearts.

For shame, VW. For shame. You remain the ultimate tease. A harbinger of things that could but will never be.

I won't get my hopes up. I won't become blinded by unfettered optimism.

F*** that! VW! BRING THIS DAMNED THING HERE! DADDY LIKE! DADDY WANT!

Signed,

DeeJoker
Sounds like a great cover letter for the petition!

Seriously VW. Grow a pair and bring this here.

#37 ·
Deejoker...your right, they need to bring this state side. As for the volvo the only real volvo perormance wagon was the v70r from 1998-2000. 2004-07 was too heavy and lacked signifigant suspenion to consider a true performance wagon. But a sweet engine that 2.5 5 cylinder turbo was. Forgot the 9-5 Aero wagon. We all know Saab's History. But there best selling car other than 9-3 convertible, was the 9-5 wagon. There is a market VWOA, build it. Not bein biased but i would prefer Germany over Chattanooga, Passat CC and state side Passat Quality is night and day. I'll pay the difference lol.

#42 ·
I realize VW has apparently done this before, but it just seems odd that they would DEBUT this car in the States, but not offer it here. I'll consider it a positive sign. Will the Golf Alltrack wagon be on display at LA? If VW offers both here, I'll be hard pressed to choose between the two!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.