Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So About That Snow In Buffalo...

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      11-18-2014 10:43 PM #1

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Accord
      11-18-2014 10:53 PM #2
      We're experience a similar weather pattern. Also, it was apparently below freezing somewhere in every one of the 50 states: http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/18/us/col...html?hpt=hp_t2

Vehicles
      metropass
      11-18-2014 11:03 PM #3
      6 feet! Jesus ****christ!

Vehicles
      '91 Jetta GLI, '68 Beetle 'vert, '79 Cutlass Supreme, '96 Legacy Outback
      11-18-2014 11:08 PM #4
      I'm 15-20 minutes south of Buffalo. We have at least 2'. But, I have food, beer, and power, so I'll get by. Most of the city barely has any snow, in fact the hockey game was still on, despite areas 10 minutes away having driving bans and completely impassable roads. My backyard:

Same view in the spring:

Last edited by jettagli1991; 11-18-2014 at 11:13 PM.

Vehicles
      Mazda2
      11-18-2014 11:24 PM #5
      Somehow Syracuse missed all of it. Buffalo got hammered, Watertown got hammered. Gotta love lake effect.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

Vehicles
      bunch of old german junk
      11-18-2014 11:26 PM #6
      emmett posts so many damn threads he can't even put words in them anymore.
      this / is / where / your / sweet / mods / go

Vehicles
      11-18-2014 11:36 PM #7

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      11-18-2014 11:47 PM #8
      Buffalo is a place?
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

You could not pay me enough to own another Ford or another hybrid ever again. http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/203834.png

Vehicles
      2013 Volt
      11-18-2014 11:47 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by s-rocc View Post
      emmett posts so many damn threads he can't even

11-19-2014 12:37 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by jettagli1991 View Post
      I'm 15-20 minutes south of Buffalo. We have at least 2'. But, I have food, beer, and power, so I'll get by. Most of the city barely has any snow, in fact the hockey game was still on, despite areas 10 minutes away having driving bans and completely impassable roads. My backyard:

Question. When ppl end up stuck on the interstate all night and they can see houses and businesses nearby why do they stay in their cars on the interstate all night?

What am I missing here?
      "It's not a lie if you believe it." - G. Costanza

Vehicles
      1994 Integra GS-R, 1994 Jetta 16v
      11-19-2014 12:44 AM #11
      In my head I picture this thread as a buffalo with snow on its back.
      Check out my FS threads! MK3 PARTS FOR SALE

OEM+ or Bust!

Vehicles
      11-19-2014 01:06 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by BetterByDesign View Post
      Question. When ppl end up stuck on the interstate all night and they can see houses and businesses nearby why do they stay in their cars on the interstate all night?

What am I missing here?
      I don't know. I'd get the hell out of there. However, many businesses are closed, and you'd have to knock on some stranger's door and ask to stay for what might be days before the roads are passable again. People would rather freeze/die of Co2 poisoning in their cars I guess. I wouldn't even leave my house in a lifted 4X4 at this point. Cars block the roads, get abandoned, and the snow piles up until it has to be removed with heavy equipment. Then they tow the cars, FREE, and you just have to go find them later. People are saying this is like '77 all over again. It could be worse, I could be these people:

http://www.wkbw.com/homepage-gallery...s-parts-of-wny

Some real good ones in there.

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      11-19-2014 01:15 AM #13
      My sister stopped by our place on the way home too uncomfortable with driving the rest of the way. I fired up the Legacy and made the trip there and back. Nokians worked great.

Not quite 6ft yet but we've had a LOT of snow and it's blowing around into big drifts on the road, luckily it's very soft and fluffy. No plows have been out in the whole county.

I hope this stops soon and they start plowing. It's an hour long drive for my Fiancé to work in a few hours.

My backyard (glass patio table for reference):

The drive:

Vehicles
      2001 Honda Prelude
      11-19-2014 01:40 AM #14
      We didn't get hit with as much snow as we did cold. Winds had to have been around 50 mph, and I don't think it got above 10 degrees all day.

It's not fun trying to drive a car on summer tires, on ice, through 50 mph winds.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Everyone who writes for Jalopnik is an excellent writer and journalist.
      Quote Originally Posted by TetsuoShima View Post
      Stitching on a steering wheel is a legitimate complaint.

Vehicles
      '10 S4 | '91 MR2 Turbo
      11-19-2014 02:03 AM #15
      Never been to Buffalo but might be going there for a business trip in February. Think I'm gonna look for the closest hotel to the facility so I can just walk there if it's this bad.

I was gonna make a joke about this:

...and then realized they actually make "professional" ones:

Do people actually wear these?

Vehicles
      2015 GTI 2Dr AB/6MT/DBP
      11-19-2014 02:38 AM #16
      I'm 15-20 minutes south of Buffalo. We have at least 2'. But, I have food, beer, and power, so I'll get by. Most of the city barely has any snow, in fact the hockey game was still on, despite areas 10 minutes away having driving bans and completely impassable roads.
      Well, it's hockey fer cripes sakes....don't be such a bunch of wusses...

Vehicles
      2015 GTI 2Dr AB/6MT/DBP
      11-19-2014 03:03 AM #17
      Oddly enough, we see this kind of thing from our window at work at least three or four times a year as prevailing west winds blow storm fronts directly at us at the west end of Lake Ontario. Obviously, you guys got a more intense hit because of the lake effect off of Erie, but it's always an amazing thing to witness.

Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      11-19-2014 03:18 AM #18
      Wow, I was complaining about getting 6" of snow. Last night we had a new record low of 10F and the wind has been about 20-30 MPH for days.

Hope this winter isn't like last year.

Edit: After looking at the pictures from Buffalo, I feel like a *****.
      Last edited by MN6845; 11-19-2014 at 03:24 AM.

Vehicles
      11-19-2014 03:24 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post

I seriously wish I had a pair. It was rough just walking to the road. Even snowmobiles are just sinking. I'd walk to the nearest bar. Some of them are having all you can drink specials and people are trekking there. They're predicting this will go on through Friday, and I just get cabin fever.

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      11-19-2014 03:46 AM #20
      So that is what my ex father in law left his wife of 20 years and nice house in a so cal beach community for. Yeah, good choice on his part.

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      11-19-2014 09:54 AM #21

What am I missing here?

If it's so bad that cars can't move, would you really want to try and walk what might be a long distance to those houses and businesses? At least in the car you can stay out of the elements.

I give my wife a hard time for putting a couple of fleece blankets, a box of granola bars and bottles of water in each car but for times like these it makes sense.

Vehicles
      2003 VW Gti 20th AE
      11-19-2014 10:11 AM #22
      Not to mention in a snow storm like that it would be very easy to lose your sense of direction and get lost in the storm.
      -Matt

23. Member
      Vehicles
      A3 Pilot S2K
      11-19-2014 10:19 AM #23

What am I missing here?
      Back in the early 60's my in-laws were heading from Rochester to Buffalo one night and got caught out in white out conditions near Batavia on I90...had to sleep in a farm house for 2 nights with 3 other stranded motorists. They sent the farmer an x-mas card and gift until the man died.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 Passat 1.8t, sedan.
      11-19-2014 10:41 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      If it's so bad that cars can't move, would you really want to try and walk what might be a long distance to those houses and businesses? At least in the car you can stay out of the elements.

I give my wife a hard time for putting a couple of fleece blankets, a box of granola bars and bottles of water in each car but for times like these it makes sense.
      "bottles of water"? Do not you think it should be something different(something would not freeze and break container, like salty water/brine, alcohol?
      I am looking for a job in Transportation, Logistics, Distribution or International Trade. Analysis, Planning, Operations.

Vehicles
      2001 W.E Jetta
      11-19-2014 10:48 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Never been to Buffalo but might be going there for a business trip in February. Think I'm gonna look for the closest hotel to the facility so I can just walk there if it's this bad.

I was gonna make a joke about this:

...and then realized they actually make "professional" ones:

I own 2 pair, they are awesome when the snow is deep. You float and walk on top of the snow. The larger they are the more float they have, as well as the more spikes they have the more orientated they are for hill/climbing. REI has a kickin deal on snowshoes right now. But if you never looked at them they are expensive 170-300.

Vehicles
      2013 WRX 2012 Mazda5
      11-19-2014 11:01 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
      Somehow Syracuse missed all of it. Buffalo got hammered, Watertown got hammered. Gotta love lake effect.
      Syracuse is in a separate lake effect band and this can happen a lot, right? It depends on how far east across the lake the weather descends. Buffalo also catches stuff coming due east off of Erie, while Syracuse is almost always stuff descending down across from Ontario on a more southeastern track.

My fav is all the morons down here in the tri-state area saying they are glad the storm "missed us"

27. 11-19-2014 11:01 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by XClayX View Post
      I own 2 pair, they are awesome when the snow is deep. You float and walk on top of the snow. The larger they are the more float they have, as well as the more spikes they have the more orientated they are for hill/climbing. REI has a kickin deal on snowshoes right now. But if you never looked at them they are expensive 170-300.
      Yeah and I'm sure REI are generous at providing only the ones at the $300 end of the spectrum.

28. 11-19-2014 11:44 AM #28
      My GF is from western NY and showed me a video that her aunt posted (lives in Hamburg) of her husband doing a belly flop into the snow. There was easily 4 feet of snow in their backyard.

The sheer amount of snow that you can get off of a powerful lake effect band is pretty freaky. I lived in Oswego, NY for a few years and my last winter there we got 6' over the course of 3 days or so. Shutdown the university. 10 miles east of Oswego got 10'.

Buffalo gets hit hard earlier in the season and once Lake Erie freezes up the lake-effect machine dies off. But Lake Ontario is considerably deeper and almost never fully freezes over and lake effect off of it goes all the way through the winter. IIRC that particular lake effect event in Oswego was late Feb/early March.

Vehicles
      2013 Sepang Blue Audi S6, 2014 Scuba Blue Audi Q5
      11-19-2014 11:47 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by barrier12 View Post
      "bottles of water"? Do not you think it should be something different(something would not freeze and break container, like salty water/brine, alcohol?
      You're right. The best thing to drink when trapped in your car in a snowstorm is salt water. Or Everclear.
      /* Need VCDS mods in Southern NH? */
      /* Will mod for beer! */

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze
      11-19-2014 11:48 AM #30
      This was my brother in West Seneca (Buffalo) last night:

31. 11-19-2014 12:29 PM #31
      Yup, from Buffalo (hamburg actually) and all I can do is laugh at it! Got the hell out of there over 6 years ago and never looked back. I refuse to go visit my parents of anyone acutally from Novemeber - April. Its to damn cold! Why my parents don't move to Alanta where my brother and I are, I don't get!

Also, whats up Sak? Hows it going?

32. Member
      Vehicles
      67 Dodge Coronet sedan, Kymco Like 200LX
      11-19-2014 01:15 PM #32
      I seriously wish I had a pair. It was rough just walking to the road. Even snowmobiles are just sinking. I'd walk to the nearest bar. Some of them are having all you can drink specials and people are trekking there. They're predicting this will go on through Friday, and I just get cabin fever.

Get wasted and then go walk home in the snow. What could go wrong?

Vehicles
      Mazda2
      11-19-2014 02:08 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by MatchStick View Post
      Syracuse is in a separate lake effect band and this can happen a lot, right? It depends on how far east across the lake the weather descends. Buffalo also catches stuff coming due east off of Erie, while Syracuse is almost always stuff descending down across from Ontario on a more southeastern track.
      Yup. CNY only gets hit when the wind comes from the northwest across Ontario. Since this system was coming out of the west-southwest when it hit NY, Ontario's lake effect all hit the Tug Hill.

It used to happen a lot when I was a kid, growing up in Sylvan Beach we'd get nothing but school would be closed because Camden 10 miles north got the worst of it.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

Vehicles
      Lowered Outback
      11-19-2014 02:11 PM #34
      Hell no. I'm not a fan of the cold and snow at all. Last winter was horrible, I couldn't imagine digging out of 7' of snow. People of the DMV would start eating each other.
      Ravens&
      Bohs&
      Crabs&
      O's.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast