Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: OSU Football Player Karageorge Complains of Concussions, Kills Himself

Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra, '90 Daihatsu Rocky
      11-30-2014 06:08 PM #1
      I don't know any medical facts about concussions, but I know football is dangerous to the brain even with helmets. Is it possible for repeated brain injury to directly cause mental issues such as depression?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/30/us/ohi...ead/index.html

(CNN) -- A missing Ohio State University football player has been found dead, authorities said Sunday.
      Kosta Karageorge, a fifth-year senior, had missed practice Wednesday and hadn't been seen since.
      Sgt. Richard Weiner, with Columbus police, said that Karageorge died from what appears to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
      His body was found inside a Dumpster and identified at the scene through tattoos, Weiner said.
      A firearm was also recovered at the scene.

Last week, Karageorge's parents told police that their son had complained about concussion symptoms before he disappeared.
      In a copy of the missing persons report obtained by CNN, Susan Karageorge told police she received a text from her son about 1:30 a.m. Wednesday that said, "I am sorry if I am an embarrassment but these concussions have my head all f***ed up."
      She added that her son has had several concussions and confusion "spells."

Karageorge's sister, Sophia, told Cleveland.com that he was upset about something Tuesday night and that his roommates said he went for a walk.
      His cell phone was last pinged about 2:30 a.m. Wednesday, his sister said.

Vehicles
      A old saab Turbo.
      11-30-2014 06:12 PM #2
      Yes ! look up the story of Jr. Seau. Committed suicide after years of concussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbiodiesel! View Post
      I have been drunk many a time, but I can't say I've ever had the urge to sexually abuse a wild animal
      |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Mazda 3s GT
      11-30-2014 06:39 PM #3
      Yes concussions have been linked to CTE
      Past vehicles: 2004 Ford Focus ZX3, 2002 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8t

Quote Originally Posted by swirv View Post
      What is Vag com it? Some sort of website?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      02 GTI, 72 Pontiac Catalina, 03 Elantra
      11-30-2014 08:51 PM #4
      It's all over the news lately. Not just the concussions, but the overall physical beating some football players take and the long term effects of it. Hell, even the associated eating disorders when it comes to linemen, all have links to depression.

The stuff about Darryl Talley that had been in the news lately is just another reminder too.

5. 11-30-2014 08:54 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I don't know any medical facts about concussions, but I know football is dangerous to the brain even with helmets. Is it possible for repeated brain injury to directly cause mental issues such as depression?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/30/us/ohi...ead/index.html
      Seriously? Put the soap down man. I don't follow anything to do with sports, and even I saw all the coverage on this over the past year or two.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      11-30-2014 09:27 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by NashGTI View Post
      It's all over the news lately. Not just the concussions, but the overall physical beating some football players take and the long term effects of it. Hell, even the associated eating disorders when it comes to linemen, all have links to depression.

The stuff about Darryl Talley that had been in the news lately is just another reminder too.
      That's because they keep getting bigger and better (cough cough genetically gifted cough cough) for one thing. Look at pictures of what the average football player looked like back in the 40's and 50's looked like compared to today. I couldn't imagine taking a hit from some of those guys, let alone repeatedly for years on end. Even with safety gear, you're still taking a beating.
      Posts may not reflect the views of others, get over it.

7. Member
      11-30-2014 09:42 PM #7
      What is amazing is how little they move around compared to other sports and how brutal it is.
      - 2000 Audi A4
      - 1994 Corrado VR6
      - 1991 Jetta Syncro Coupe

8. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      11-30-2014 10:12 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by SpacedOutStar View Post
      What is amazing is how little they move around compared to other sports and how brutal it is.

A 60 minute game that takes 3 hours to play and has 11 minutes of actual action.

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      12-01-2014 08:38 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by MeineFolks'wagen View Post
      That's because they keep getting bigger and better (cough cough genetically gifted cough cough) for one thing. Look at pictures of what the average football player looked like back in the 40's and 50's looked like compared to today. I couldn't imagine taking a hit from some of those guys, let alone repeatedly for years on end. Even with safety gear, you're still taking a beating.
      What they wear really doesn't qualify as safety gear. Helmets do very little to prevent concussions. They do help prevent skull fractures.

Yes the players are bigger, faster and stronger and the NFL and NCAA like that. If they were to reduce the severity of the hits or eliminate the hitting altogether, the gravy train for the entire industry would come to stop.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      02 GTI, 72 Pontiac Catalina, 03 Elantra
      12-01-2014 01:07 PM #10
      There is a culture problem in football right now. You can say all you want about the players getting bigger, which they are as a function of society getting bigger and "better" training regimens, but other contact sports haven't gone through the same massive increase in long term health problems.

I can specifically point to hockey as that's what I love, but the players in the NHL are also far bigger than they were in the past. They are also far faster than they were in the past. It seems hockey players have more overall respect for each other than do football players. There isn't the pressure and encouragement to "blow someone up" all the time. Hockey is a rough sport, and I myself have been hurt plenty playing it, but I'm not worried about my own teammates killing me with a helmet to helmet blow like happens in football (Tulane player a couple years back).

Just to be clear, I'm not saying it doesn't happen to hockey players, Wade Belak was working in Nashville at the time of his death after all, it just doesn't seem to happen as often.

11. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      12-01-2014 01:26 PM #11
      I can specifically point to hockey as that's what I love, but the players in the NHL are also far bigger than they were in the past.
      The NHL (and USA Hockey) have taken big strides in rules, penalties and severe suspensions to cut down on head injuries.

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      12-01-2014 01:52 PM #12
      ...but I'm not worried about my own teammates killing me with a helmet to helmet blow like happens in football (Tulane player a couple years back).

...they just give them sticks to hit each other with and solid wooden walls to slam their bodies against.

The issue with concussions in football is that on every single play there is the potential for head to head or head to body contact. In hockey (or lacrosse that I play), that is less common. There are goons in every sport that are out for blood on every play or shift.

13. Member
      12-01-2014 03:21 PM #13
      The interesting thing is that Karageorge was a standout wrestler who just walked on to the OSU football team a year ago. According to Brendan Schaub on his podcast, Karageorge never even played football before that. That shows how gifted an athlete he was.

But more importantly, his concussion issues came from before football, or worse, just one year of football was enough to cause that much trauma. I'm leaning towards the former. Wrestling could be an underestimated cause of minor concussions.
      Last edited by Big M; 12-01-2014 at 03:26 PM.
      Sim Simmer.
      Keys.
      Bimmer.