VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Finishing the Galaxie - A Way Over Due Production

Vehicles
      Rabbit, 911, 2002, and a Galaxie
      12-06-2014 04:52 PM #1

Intro:

So I've wanted to do this for quite some time, and I figure now is a good a time as ever. I've started working on the car again, I've been taking pics as I go, I love reading other people's builds, so why not share mine. Please step in and correct, comment, berate, or encourage whenever you want. If there is enough attention, I'll continue to post and it should be fun. I can use all the motivation I can get!

The car is a 1964 Ford Galaxie 2 door hardtop. Some people call it a fastback, but I think hardtop is more correct. There are no B-pillars which makes for extra awesome windows down action. It is a 500XL trim package car which means bucket seats, center console with floor shift, and some upgraded exterior trim pieces mostly. It was originally equipped with a 390FE rated at ~320bhp and a Cruise-o-matic trans. This is essentially a Ford-o-matic, or an FMX - it's a 3 speed auto that starts off in 2nd I think if it is not put into low. The engines technically aren't big blocks and not small blocks. The FE's are in a category of their own and I've even heard them called midland. All in all it's not a muscle car per se, but it is a big cruiser with a big motor, and I think they look damn good.

These cars are body on frame construction with upper and lower control arms, coil springs in front, and leaf springs in the back on a solid 9" axle. Steering is power assisted parallelogram with an idler and pitman arm. They might as well be trucks. The power assist is wayyy over the top and you can essentially drive the car with one finger. Pretty scary at speed. Brakes are manual 11" drums all the way around, but I've upgraded to a 11" 4 piston discs up front with a dual pot master. OE is a single pot death trap.

More backstory:

Bought the car when I was 19. I'm 32 now, so I've had this thing for too long to not have finished it yet. I was in trade school at the time studying autobody collision. The car was sitting in a garage in West Seattle and I had it towed the .5 mile back to South Seattle Com. College were I was taking classes. While in trade school, I took the body off the frame, blasted the body, painted and rebuilt the frame, and then proceeded to refinish and reassemble the body panels. That's where it sat for the next year or so until I was ready to go off to college.

It is my 2nd '64 Galaxie, with the first being a 4 door hardtop that I painted and threw a rebuilt 352FE motor/ CoM trans in for my senior project. Not sure how I got away with that but I must've had some cool teachers

Here is the '64 Galaxie from the HS days:

I sold it to a guy in the Ballard area when I was 18 and I think he still may own it.

OK, on to the progress. Pictures will be of varying quality. I don't have a nice camera, so bear with me. Some will be digicam, some will be potato. The white balance will be off on all of them.

During Trade School:

These pictures were taken on a disposable, printed, and scanned, so I apologize for the quality. It was roughly 2002 at the time and digicams were still too expensive for a 19 year old

Body just off the frame - on cloud nine as I was actually beginning my first real project. My instructor's Dakota R/T when it was brand new and kind of a hot truck.

Shot of me spraying the roof. I'm shooting my SATA gun that I worked all summer for.

A shot of the frame after painting with POR-15, replacing all wear items including springs, and upgrading to front discs.

Pic of the car outside the booth rolling around on the body cart that some really cool guys in class helped me build.

It took me roughly 8 months doing this by myself. Taking the car apart completely, and getting it put back together to a painted, but gutted rolling chassis. I took autobody from 7am-12pm every day, went to class till about 2pm, then came back after normal classes and worked on the car for another 2 hrs almost every day to get it done in time (before graduating). I was learning how to do autobody at the time so things moved a little slow.

OK, so at this point we're going to fast forward about 12 years. I have tons of pics from the body restoration if people are interested in that stuff, including some patch panel work, but they'll need to be dug up and scanned in as they're all in a photo album - yes a physical photo album.

So once I was done with A/B school I went on to finish a General AA, which took about another year. The car sat outside under a car cover until I was ready to ship off to a university. Luckily, once there I had a garage to store and work on the car in. During this time I rushed the car together. I wasn't totally sure what the end goal of the car was, and what style I was trying to achieve. I thought about drag car with black steels on the back and torque thrusts or cragars on the front, but I couldn't really nail anything down. I was on an extremely tight budget being a student, and I didn't really have too much knowledge on the mechanical side of things. I put it together the best I could and got it running for a few years. The interior was never done, and frankly, just about everything I did in my college years was done pretty subpar compared to the time and effort that went into the body. It was time to go back and do things correctly...

Stay tuned!
      - Alex

2. Member
      12-06-2014 05:58 PM #2
      This is awesome. I love those generation Galaxies and came this close to buying one. Yours looks fantastic
      Quote Originally Posted by Roketdriver View Post
      where were you when automotive dream died
      i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
      'racecar is die'
      no

Vehicles
      It varies.
      12-06-2014 06:03 PM #3
      Looks great! I'm a huge fan of that style Galaxie, too.

And yes, FE motors are in a class of their own, the Friggen' Expensive category.

Vehicles
      Mk1, Lifted Camry
      12-06-2014 06:18 PM #4
      Nice! The blue is beautiful.
      Easy like Sunday Morning.

5. 40 Year Old Madonna Fan patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      12-06-2014 06:20 PM #5
      Sweet, love your car man!
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      Why does a guy trying to shove a water bottle up his ass have anything to do with the Bay area and helping it sustain itsel.....wait nevermind.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

6. Member
      Vehicles
      240z, 260z, 280zx, R53 Mini, TJ Wrangler, E30
      12-06-2014 07:31 PM #6
      Awesome car!

Vehicles
      03 SVT Focus /98 Silverado
      12-06-2014 07:35 PM #7
      Cool car/project and story. In for updates!

Vehicles
      Some American, British, German, and a bunch of Japanese.
      12-06-2014 08:50 PM #8
      Just epic! Love it.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Vehicles
      Cult Cars.
      12-06-2014 09:21 PM #9
      This is awesome!

Vehicles
      12-08-2014 01:46 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by GahannaKid View Post
      This is awesome. I love those generation Galaxies and came this close to buying one. Yours looks fantastic
      Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      Looks great! I'm a huge fan of that style Galaxie, too.

And yes, FE motors are in a class of their own, the Friggen' Expensive category.
      Quote Originally Posted by GruuvenNorth View Post
      Nice! The blue is beautiful.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Sweet, love your car man!
      Quote Originally Posted by OldAndyAndTheSea View Post
      Awesome car!

Quote Originally Posted by welderdood View Post
      Cool car/project and story. In for updates!
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      Just epic! Love it.
      Quote Originally Posted by EuroAtomic View Post
      This is awesome!
      Awesome You guys rock. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. The color is actually not a Ford color, but out of the DuPont color book. It's called Spectremaster Blue. The white is Vintage White. Both are of the single stage variety with a urethane additive package. A base coat/clear coat combination is a more desirable finish combination, but the urethane additive package in a single stage paint makes a pretty durable finish (which has stood up over 10 years effortlessly), is less expensive than base/clear, and can even have a clear applied over it down the road if wanted.

More Background:

I figure it's best to just share the autobody days of owning this car. Let's just get this crap out of the way. I found the album of pictures I took. You don't need glasses, they are almost all blurry. I'm sorry It was a point and shoot disposable. You remember right? When you didn't know if you had a good picture until it was developed???

So here we go, another trip down memory laneeeeeee - to 2002!

Just after arriving at SSCC

The interior. You can see the 500XL package here - buckets, center console, floor shifter, upgraded door panels, etc. There was a blunt roach in the ash tray. I remember this clearly. I need to clean my nails.

Completely de-trimmed and front clip is off. You can see the car was originally the seafoam green. It had been resprayed red at one point and eventually black.

The care taken is overwhelming in this shot

Pretty heavy surface rust in the floors with some small holes. Nothing major.

A cleaned out trunk and proof of red respray.

Windshield out and a classmate acting silly.

Body off the frame from another angle.

40 years of road grime and crap. Looks like some decent leaks of all varieties over the years. Shows the upper/lower control arm configuration. The springs sit in buckets within the frame and lower control arm.

9" rear sitting on leaf springs. Notice the overload springs on the shocks.. No no.

The body is ready to work on. Another student who was a bit special but a really nice guy - wonder what he's up to??

This is what 5 hrs with a 9" DA sander and 80 grit looks like. If you're going to have something blasted, it's worth it to spend some time stripping whatever you can yourself.

On its way to the blaster.

Voila!

The right quarter was by far the worst found. Overall the car was in very good shape for it's age and finding it in a garage after sitting some 10 years.

After blasting the car, the first thing I did was sand the whole car with 80 grit. It knocks the rough peaks off that blasting can cause and gives you an opportunity to study ever sq in of the car. The next step was to acid wash the bare metal. This is an excellent first step when refinishing - your finish is only as good as it's foundation

The next step was an acid etch primer. The car could then sit like this. Not out in the rain or anything, but it could sit in the heated shop and I could somewhat leisurely do body work on it.

Body acid washed and etch primed.

Scoping out the right quarter damage. Preparing to cut.

This pic is a little scary. I had the patch panel before making the cut here. I laid the entire panel over the existing quarter, and cut through both at the same time. This gives you a good clean cut in both parts with 1/16 gap or the width of your die grinder wheel - perfect for tack welding into place

Stitching into place. The can on the frame there is some heat sink compound applied to both sides of the weld to keep the panel from warping. Worked really well.

Skipping ahead here - car in first app of primer surfacer. The car went through 3 apps of 3 coats of primer surfacer. Each time guide coat was applied, sanded until the highs/lows were worked out, etc. One cool thing I did was use a yellow primer surface on the 2nd time through. This helped when you were cutting down into older primer.

Dash in primer.

More parts in primer.

Getting ready to spray the roof. The shot of me painting it is in the OP.

Body ready to paint.

Primer sealer.

Painted.

Fresh out the booth!

Onto the frame:

Frame stripped and pressure washed.

The rear apart.

Starting top get things sorted.

Rear end apart. This is a 9" Ford with ~3.00 gears on an open differential. Not very special.

These Larry Birds were throwbacks even then. What are they now?

Rolling frame all ready to go back under the body.

OK, so that is pretty much the end of the autobody days. Again, this took me about 8 months to complete myself. It was a ton of work, and I may never get an opportunity to do a car as thoroughly as the Galaxie again. This part I will always cherish. I don't have any pictures of when the car was just an assembled shell only, but I do have some a few steps later down the road.

Next time I'll talk a bit about the engine/trans, the college days, and then getting into finally finishing the project which is the real point of making this thread!

Thanks for watching everyone
      - Alex

Vehicles
      2010 Prius, 2005 Citroën C4 Coupé VTS, Honda VFR 750F
      12-08-2014 01:57 PM #11
      Boy how I love these Galaxies, thanks for sharing these pics, very awesome. I remember playing "Street Rod" on my dads 486 PC and the Galaxie was always my favorite. Together with the '60 Starliner these are perhaps the most beautiful cars Ford ever built.
      CANIS•CANEM•EDIT

Vehicles
      2011 128i
      12-08-2014 02:08 PM #12
      nice!

also: that lumina doe!
      Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      If you want to spend a bunch of money for something to look at, buy a painting. I'll happily drive my car til its worth nothing.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Since my presence has been requested, Beetlejuice-style, I'll address the current controversy:
      Yes, the Prius is the greatest car ever made.

Vehicles
      2001 Accord
      12-08-2014 02:32 PM #13
      Wow! The build threads with a story are always the best ones. I'm enjoying reading through this thread.

Also, no need to apologize for the pics. They show how long you've had/have been working on the car. And we'll appreciate the new pics even more.

Vehicles
      12-08-2014 03:50 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Snaak. View Post
      Boy how I love these Galaxies, thanks for sharing these pics, very awesome. I remember playing "Street Rod" on my dads 486 PC and the Galaxie was always my favorite. Together with the '60 Starliner these are perhaps the most beautiful cars Ford ever built.
      You're very welcome! I've loved these Galaxies for ever too. The first time I saw my 1st '64 I had no idea what it was. I was driving along on a residential street, saw it with a for sale sign on it, fell in love instantly. Worked a deal out with my mom to buy it for $1500. I was 17. The 2 door I have now I paid $500 dollars for. There was no motor or trans in it. I didn't care though - I had my own plans

Loved Street Rod by the way - awesome game. I totally agree about the Starliner being one of Ford's best designs, but I like the '61s. The roof is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      nice!

also: that lumina doe!
      The college had a variety of donated cars from local dealerships. The cars weren't allowed on public roads, but they were moved from building to building allowing the mechanic and autobody folk to practice on them. Along with the Lumina I remember a 300ZX non-turbo and a Camaro SS. Both were really cool cars to me in HS.

Quote Originally Posted by J2G View Post
      Wow! The build threads with a story are always the best ones. I'm enjoying reading through this thread.

Also, no need to apologize for the pics. They show how long you've had/have been working on the car. And we'll appreciate the new pics even more.
      Good, I'll do my best to up the quality as I go. Folks like ValveCoverGasket kind of set the standard on threads like these. The high end camera really helps with the enjoyment.

Thanks again for watching!
      - Alex

Vehicles
      E-Type, AH 3000, Galaxie, '67 Bug, Bonnie, Mustang GT, '71 Fiat Spider, JGC
      12-08-2014 04:32 PM #15
      Great thread. Motivating me to get a move-on with my own!

Here's my '63 Fastback. A nearly-expired junkyard 352/390 (? C6ME), courtesy of someone in the 70s. Mechanical bits otherwise I've almost entirely replaced/rebuilt. Four-barrel, a warmed up C6 and some loud pipes. Body is rough but presentable. Interior is like-new, entirely re-done. Not much to look at from outside, but drives like new. I have it out nearly every day.

Keep the project posts coming!

16. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      12-08-2014 05:42 PM #16
      Yes!

Sometimes when there's an overwhelming number of trolls/troll threads I get discouraged with TCL, but then something like this pops up.

Kudos, she's looking great!

If it were mine I'd have probably gone for the original seafoam green, but that is mostly because I have a thing for seafoam green cars from the '60s. It's such an innocent looking color, which makes it a great sleeper if that's your kind of thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

12-08-2014 05:58 PM #17
      Subscribed.

Vehicles
      2006 R53 MINI / 2016 Frontier Pro-4X
      12-08-2014 06:07 PM #18
      Love this. In for completion.

Vehicles
      12-09-2014 05:06 PM #19
      Jackr, love your '63. I actually learned to prefer the softer lines of the '63 over the '64, but at the time I was obsessed with the '64. Nice work on yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Yes!

Sometimes when there's an overwhelming number of trolls/troll threads I get discouraged with TCL, but then something like this pops up.

Kudos, she's looking great!

If it were mine I'd have probably gone for the original seafoam green, but that is mostly because I have a thing for seafoam green cars from the '60s. It's such an innocent looking color, which makes it a great sleeper if that's your kind of thing.
      Thanks, and I feel the exact same way. I'm glad I can add to some positivity around here. Seafoam on white interior is a little too effeminate for me. I understand the sleeper feel, but the tear drop thunderbolt hood kind of kills that

Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Subscribed.
      Quote Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
      Love this. In for completion.
      I've now realized I may have put down some big shoes to fill. I plan on doing my best. This has always been a garage build, so I hope no one gets disappointed

---

Engine/Trans/Rearend

Building the first '64, I realized how futile it is to "build" an FE engine. As 4.0MG mentioned, they are fricken expensive. Aftermarket support is present but not much bang for the buck there. Even with a fresh 352 in my old '64 it was a total dog. I remember trying to race a Buick Supercharged LeSabre with 5 people in, getting burned, and feeling really poor about myself If I was going to dump money into a platform that could go somewhere, it was going to be something else.

So what did I do?

LSx swap!

No, just kidding...

I went with a big block Ford.

This swap is actually extremely easy in these big cars. Crites Restoration sells a very simple kit to swap in a Ford 460 and C6 transmission which is essentially plug and play. There is no cutting or welding required. The kit comes with revised engine mounts and some 1/4 steel plates with slots in it to slide the OE trans cross member back about 6 inches. The C6 fits nicely in the cruise o matic tunnel, and with some slight modification, the stock shifter even works.

I took my (since killed) '91 Exploder up to a Pick & Pull north of Seattle and spent an afternoon pulling a $100 460 core out of some Ford pick-up. I wish I had a picture of the Exploder with everything in the back. Cherry picker plus tools and engine equals overloaded Exploder

We tore down the engine in a friend's garage and I sent it off to Action Machine on Aurora to have them rebuild it. The block and crank ended up being junk. Oh well. I didn't really know what I was doing, but I was having fun, and that's all that mattered. Here is an excerpt from a for sale ad when, during a brief moment of clarity/insanity, was trying to sell the car. It describes the engine hardware as it sits now:

The engine is 460 cubic inch Ford Big Block, standard bore, with new stock crank and rods. Forged Probe pistons; roughly 9.5:1 compression ratio. Comp Cams Xtreme cam; can’t remember the duration, roughly .560 lift on intake and exhaust; relatively mild. Heads are aluminum Ford Super Cobra Jet; Jon Kaase’s redesign as of 2005. Billet roller rockers (can’t remember brand). Intake is a Edelbrock Performer RPM ported to match the cylinder heads. Engine contains ARP fasteners throughout. Balanced, blueprinted, and long-block assembled by Action Machine, Seattle WA. The build-up was copied from Car Craft Magazine’s article; Get aHEAD where they showed this engine making 511hp and 546ft-lb tq at the crank. Their intake wasn’t ported. The carb is a Demon 750. MSD Billet distributor w/ mech adv. Blaster 2 coil, MSD6AL ignition box. Ford racing 8mm plug wires.
      On to some pics of the motor at the machine shop and at home:

Before I get yelled at for painting the block a Pontiac color, I thought it went well with the color of the car and the grey control arms at the time. I tried a black block on my last '64 and good luck seeing leaks on that!

TFL Detour:

I forgot to mention where the money was coming from to do all this. I sold the first '64 for $5K and used that money to buy the car ($500), do all of the body work (~$1500), and pay for some of the engine work (~$4K). I was working at a gas station full time on Admiral Way in West Seattle pumping full service gas, fixing tires, changing batteries, headlights, etc. That's where the rest of the funding came from before I went off to school. I remember saving for the cylinder heads (~$2K). I made one of those temperature charts and each paycheck I'd fill in a little more until I could send off to buy them.

In hindsight, a FoMoCo crate motor would’ve been a better option. Live and learn.

Back on Task:

I don't have any pictures of the C6 trans, but it is just some rebuilt unit I bought off ebay. It's nothing special, it's just upgaded clutches and bands with a 2700 stall converter. It holds up fine to the grunt. Drive line is a Strange unit with 1350 series Spicer u-joints front and back. Strange slip yoke up front; Strange pinion yoke out back.

The rear end is another ebay piece, this time used. It's from Texas Racing from one of their circle track cars I believe. Nodular housing, Detroit Locker 31-spline unit, Richmond 4.11 gears.

OK, so these are the last of the early assembly days pics. They show a bit of the shenanigans that were going on as I “built” the car. Notice the pin-wheel painting on the water pump pulley. There may have been some substance abuse happening while in college – no further comment

Notice the inner fender well matching the body color. The entire underside of the body was sprayed with a tintable bed liner, tinted with the body color itself. It looks pretty awesome in contrast to the black frame.

Accessory drive stuff was coming from some Econoline van I found in a junk yard in my college town, the transmission dipstick tube is also from the van.

OK, this post is getting rather long, so I’ll cut it short for now. I’ll leave off by saying that 4.11’s on a street car are lame. Take a quick look at the OP – look at the OD of the rear tires. They are approximately 27 inches. Why? The wheels are 16 inch steel wheels (PI knock-offs, sorry TCL). Finding suitable rubber was tough, and for whatever reason I thought that nearly 4k on the freeway would be OK. Earplugs were required.

My next post will be the beginning of going back and correcting my mistakes I’ll start with the diff… (Hint: The Detroit Locker stays, the 4.11's do not).

Until next time
      Last edited by AlBeezy36; 12-09-2014 at 05:09 PM.
      - Alex

Vehicles
      First world problems
      12-09-2014 05:49 PM #20
      sub'd
      -Noah
      Corrado - Burns money faster than hookers and blow | 996 Turbo - Hates noise ordnance's, fuel and tires in that order | TT - Colorless Wonder with a C16 habit | TT - Colorless Wonder II Lives Again!
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

Vehicles
      e-Golf + Boxster
      12-09-2014 05:58 PM #21
      Great thread!
      Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 4/29]

Vehicles
      12-14-2014 11:03 PM #22
      So, I'm about due for an update. I remembered something that some of you might find kind of interesting. It's why the third member got replaced in the first place..

I got the car running for the first time while I was in school. I was delivering parts for a local NAPA to make ends meet and have some extra spending cash for the car. I was out showboating the car one day with a good friend from home along on the ride. When we drove by one of the local shops I delivered to, the head mech came out and gave me the burnout finger motion go ahead. I'd probably laugh that off nowadays, but at that moment, the peer pressure was real

I was next at the stop sign. My transmission fluid was a little low. I womped on the gas, the torque converter stalled a little higher than normal, and bang! The OE pinion yoke strap gave way losing half of one the arms and the ass end of the drive shaft at the same time. Next thing I knew the drive shaft was slapping off the concrete, off the bottom of the car, concrete, etc.. We pushed the car to the side of the road while the people lined up behind me drove by smiling. Haha, good times

Anyways, I took the opportunity to upgrade the whole unit to get rid of the one-wheel-peel. I also used the opportunity to make a senior project out of what happened. I designed a stronger pinion yoke, modeled it, built a green sand mold, casted it, machined it, and even tested my own little creation. I made it from scratch - hope you guys think it's cool. Oh yeah, the fact that the project was casting got me into the Foundry Education Foundation's college industry conference in Chicago. I met some guys from GM there who were recruiting, showed them the photo album of the Galaxie build, went to dinner with them, and ended up in Saginaw, MI over the next summer at the Powertrain Casting Facility helping them make I6 cylinder heads for 3 months. Kinda cool stuff. The funds I got from the internship helped with buying some extra parts too!

Here it is:

Snapshot of SolidWorks model.

Both sides of the mold sitting next to eachother. You mount these to a board with the halfs directly on top of the other, but on opposite sides of the board. A local ductile iron foundry helped me pour the part. The pieces coming off the part are called gates and runners.

Here's what it looked like freshly shaken out of the sand.

Machining well underway. Here I'm broaching 28 splines into the ID. I divided the circumference into 28 the spun and locked the lathe head at each position. It took about 30 passes per spline at about .002 a pull. Yowza.

Here it is all done. It was designed to fit a 1350 size u-joint. Much stronger than the OE guy. I've always wanted to go out and try and break it, but I might look into a driveshaft loop beforehand.

Back to the Build:

So the car got the Det. Locker and the 4.11s the first go round, but I commonly take the car on the freeway and that's just no bueno. I pulled the unit out to have 3.55s installed.

Freshly pulled out.

Old gears getting boxed up. Sold them on CL for $75.

New gears on the diff and freshly painted. Some of the POR-15 had peeled away a bit. I took the opportunity to clean the threads up on the housing and install some nylock nuts.

The last things done under here were:

- Reinstalling the leaf springs to work with the cal-trac bars better. Installing these bars on the Galaxie requires frame modification and when tightening the front eye bolt you can make the cal-trac bars bind by over tightening them. This makes it so the nut cannot be cinched down good and tight on the front eye. This time around I set the torque till it was a safe and operating correctly, then used nylock jam nuts to hold everything in place. Not super exciting, but I felt good about it.
      - Hooked up the e-brake cable and built the pedal setup inside the car. I didn't have an e-brake the first time around.
      - New 255/65/16 tires. These are 29 inches in diameter. There isn't a huge amount of room to run super wide tire and finding good sizes for 16's is pretty tough.

OK, I think that's it for this time. I had to make some parts for the e-brake pedal, so I'll talk about those next time, then maybe I'll get into interior work. I'm going to slowly catch up to where I'm working currently as I post - I'm under the hood in real time.

- Alex

23. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      german and british
      12-15-2014 12:07 AM #23
      awesome project! and a rad backstory too

Vehicles
      2001 Accord
      12-15-2014 12:33 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by AlBeezy36 View Post
      I designed a stronger pinion yoke, modeled it, built a green sand mold, casted it, machined it, and even tested my own little creation. I made it from scratch - hope you guys think it's cool.
      Damn.

This thread just jumped up one big, steely notch. Very, very cool that you were able to do that. I'm particularly impressed by how you built the sand mold.

12-15-2014 01:01 AM #25
      A vast, fast '60s Ford. I love every inch of these. Great project, and the sense of accomplishment that comes from doing jobs like these is unparallelled.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast