Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Installing CD Changer

1. 12-09-2014 08:19 PM #1
      I have a 2001.5 VW Passat. When I got the car (used) there was no cd changer in the car. The harness was there where the cd changer should be.

In the car U have the CD unit where you can choose cd or cd changer. So I bought CD changer and installed it today. Nothing. It will not do anything, the selector in the car doesn't even recognize it when it select changer.

So I thought perhaps its a fuse. I looked it up and sure enough, i see a fuse that says CD on it. I go and look, theres no fuse there, nor ever was. Theres no pins.

My question is, if my car has the selector and the harness in trunk, should it work? If so, anything else I should look at before calling this changer a dud.

Thank you

2. 12-09-2014 09:49 PM #2
      so i may have figured it out. silly me.

i thought a changer was a changer for vw and they were universal.. not so. My plug is a 9 pin. The changer i have is a 10 pin. Plug fits, but wires don't match.

now what? can i splice into the wires or just find another one?

3. 12-12-2014 03:13 PM #3
      FIGURED IT OUT. NOT UNIVERSAL. NOT ALL VW CHANGERS FIT IN VW CARS. EVEN IF IT IS SAME YEAR MAKE AND MODEL.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Passat GLX Wagon (2.8L V6 "ATQ")
      12-12-2014 05:10 PM #4
      Congrats on figuring it out.

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      12-12-2014 07:29 PM #5
      Welcome to VW. Multiple part vendors, in-line part changes, etc. For example, an otherwise identical car might be fitted with one of four not-directly-compatible alternators.

6. 12-13-2014 06:29 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
      Welcome to VW. Multiple part vendors, in-line part changes, etc. For example, an otherwise identical car might be fitted with one of four not-directly-compatible alternators.
      Your not kidding. I just bought another one today. It came out of a 2001 Passat. My car is a 2001.5 passat. It was a different model number to the first one that failed on me. Same issue. It was a 10 pin again. My harness in car is a 9 pin and i can NOT find a 9 pin cd changer anywhere.
      Think i give up. Not a single straight answer on any search for what I need to look for. Very frustrating.

1J6035111 and 3B0035111B sp far does not work.

If anyone has the time to look at their cd changer in their B5.5, please let me know the model number if it matches to this harness.

1 - Green
      2 - Orange
      3- Brown
      4- Black (small)
      5 - BLANK
      6 - Purple
      7 - White
      8 - Yellow
      9 - Blue
      10 - Red
      11 - BLANK
      12 - BLANK
      Last edited by Midrange; 12-13-2014 at 06:39 PM.