As inspired by a recent thread about a car I imported from Europe for myself, here's a singular thread covering some of the vehicles that I, and/or my company Orchid Euro, have imported to the USA. Some of the vehicles are my own, some are customers, some are friends (or both, as I generally end up staying in contact with the owners, and one customer has since turned into one of my best friends).
One of my random TCL threads about a port visit: http://forums.thecarlounge.com/showt...Germany-56KLOL
Car Stuff Show podcast (via HowStuffWorks.com ) that discusses car importation and Orchid Euro : http://www.carstuffshow.com/podcasts/gray-market-cars/
Article in Popular Mechanic Magazine that I was interviewed for: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...the-us#slide-1
Here's some basics or FAQs if you will;
- We only import and process vehicles that are 25+ years old from their build date. I could go on, but basically it's as simple as that.
- It's pretty Euro centric, and particularly UK centric. You have been warned.
- Everyone asks how much. I tell everyone to budget $2,800 for a running driving vehicle, which includes shipping from our UK location to our US location, fees, paperwork etc. Obviously transportation across countries, high values for taxes, repairs, whatever, will add to the costs but that's vehicle specific so $2,800.00 is just a guideline.
- Please don't ask me to find you cars on here, or direct requests for business things. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if that's needed.
- All and any of the cars posted are likely not for sale, and are likely to be in the possession of their new owners. Please be respectful; I will likely not give specific details about the owners or prices.
- I won't post anything that a customer hasn't okay'd with it being public. This is not a exhaustive list, just something fun and somewhere to post some TCL content in one place.
Some of the past vehicles:
1985 Volkswagen LT35 car transporter & 1989 Volkswagen Rallye Golf, both imported from the UK.
1989 Corrado Magnums, shooting break prototypes, imported from The Netherlands.
VWVortex Owner's build thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ado-%28Magnums
1988 BMW E30 325i Touring, imported from England
2 x 1988 Land Rover Defender 110 ex-MOD diesels, imported from Europe
1974 Volkswagen Rabbit 'Swallowtail', imported from Sweden via Germany/UK.
1989 Volkswagen Rallye Golf [number 2]
VWVortex owner's build thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...89-Rallye-Golf
Volkswagen DoKa Diesel, ex-German Military, imported from The Netherlands.
1988 Honda Accord Aerodeck, from the UK.
VW Polo 'Breadvan'
Mk2 Golf GTI, UK spec with BBS bodykit
Volkswagen Golf GTi Mk1, from the UK.