Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: ON Gold Standard Pre-workout review

Vehicles
      2010 Nissan Altima SR, 2011 Buick Enclave
      12-30-2014 01:13 PM #1
      Hey guys and gals, I just wanted to give a short review of the newest supplement from Optimum Nutrition as some others had asked about it in the "Post pics of your last purchase" thread.

Their Gold Standard Pre-workout has been on the market for about a month (not to be confused with their Platinum Pre) and I finally got it in and used it this morning. I'd like to consider myself a supplement guru, always trying the latest and greatest while mixing in some clean time (zero supplement workouts). I've tried every pre-workout on the market it seems (not really), and although this was my first go with this particular supplement, I'd say it ranks near the top.

I'll start with Taste. I bought the blueberry lemonade and the watermelon. I decided to try the blueberry lemonade first and it does taste good, but I didn't taste as much of the blueberry as I did the lemonade but that's not much to complain about. It was good overall.

I felt a bit of the activation effect, you know, the itchy feeling in the face and scalp, when the blood starts gorging through the muscles, but it was minor, and I expect it to increase over the next few days as I continue to use it.

Now to the effectiveness while lifting. I never felt fatigue during any particular set until the last couple reps of each exercise. I was able to keep the intensity going through out the entire 80 or so minutes I was lifting including my cool off working my abdominals. The muscle gorging was great, and I found my vascularity was better than I've noticed in quite a while, and I was well hydrated.

There are no jitters with this like those that come with most pre-workouts. This felt clean from start to finish and I'm not feeling any crash from it.

I will say I haven't had a workout experience with any pre-workout supplement as I did while using Jack3d back in the day, but it is now a banned substance while serving in the military since it will make you piss positive for amphetamines.

Overall, I'd recommend this product and my alleigence to Optimum Nutrition products is now stronger than ever. I started taking their whey protein again today as well after a nearly 8 month hiatus from any powdered proteins.

If anyone has any other questions, please let me know.

Vehicles
      MKII Golf ALH, B5 A4 K04
      01-05-2015 12:54 AM #2
      Just did my first workout using a pre-workout supplement. I decided ON was good choice, I'm quite fond of their whey protien and trust the brand name.
      It's labeled as having creatine in the mix. Should I no longer use my current creatine and rely solely on the pre workout?
      You're review is based on a 1 or two scoop dose?im starting with 1 scoop to test it's effects. I'm pretty tolerant to stims so I may bump up to two but I'm worried about all the creatine in my system punishing my kidneys.
      Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Vehicles
      2014 Focus
      01-05-2015 01:49 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by WOB24v View Post
      Just did my first workout using a pre-workout supplement. I decided ON was good choice, I'm quite fond of their whey protien and trust the brand name.
      It's labeled as having creatine in the mix. Should I no longer use my current creatine and rely solely on the pre workout?
      You're review is based on a 1 or two scoop dose?im starting with 1 scoop to test it's effects. I'm pretty tolerant to stims so I may bump up to two but I'm worried about all the creatine in my system punishing my kidneys.
      Your thoughts are much appreciated.
      I'm no doctor but from what I've read, it's no worse than eating more meat than your body could use the creatine from. You'll just pee out the extra. What I do is if I have a pre- that has it, I take the pre-only on training days and the creatine-only powder on off days. If you're going to overload you have to keep it going. Many of the pre- directions say to take on off days to keep the creatine flowing but it's much cheaper to save that for the workouts and just take creatine on off days.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
      Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
      Team Possum 2015

Vehicles
      01-05-2015 05:59 PM #4
      Good questions, I always add a scoop of creatine to my pre workout. My review was for 1 scoop but I've bumped it up to about 1 1/2 scoops now and am definitely noticing very positive results and pump, better than any I've had before. Creatine is all natural so like jtls8 stated, your body will get rid of what it can't use.

Vehicles
      MKII Golf ALH, B5 A4 K04
      01-05-2015 07:26 PM #5
      Great advise. Splitting it up would get all the mileage out of the supplements.
      I've heard of horror stories about creatine abuse damaging kidneys from the creatnin build up which made me leary of "double dipping" on the creatine supplements.
      Today I took a double dose of ON pre, I briefly noticed my hands itch and felt heat in my face. Nothing uncomfortable, but as I stated before, I have pretty good tolerance to stims so I didn't find it earth shattering.

Vehicles
      01-05-2015 09:12 PM #6
      Great advise. Splitting it up would get all the mileage out of the supplements.
      I've heard of horror stories about creatine abuse damaging kidneys from the creatnin build up which made me leary of "double dipping" on the creatine supplements.
      Today I took a double dose of ON pre, I briefly noticed my hands itch and felt heat in my face. Nothing uncomfortable, but as I stated before, I have pretty good tolerance to stims so I didn't find it earth shattering.
      I actually welcome the itch that comes with the pre-workouts. What better way to know when to begin a workout when the blood is at the surface of the muscle.

7. Member
      01-05-2015 11:58 PM #7
      It is the beta alanine causing the tingling/flushing.

Vehicles
      2014 Focus
      01-06-2015 07:09 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      It is the beta alanine causing the tingling/flushing.
      Which I never seem to get much of. Maybe I'm just not sensitive to it but a larger co-worker and I were both taking the same doses of 8-Beta Anabol at the same time and he kept talking about the tingling in his veins that I never felt.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
      Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
      Team Possum 2015

Vehicles
      MKII Golf ALH, B5 A4 K04
      01-06-2015 08:23 PM #9
      Today was day 2 and I didn't even get the tingles or flush. Perhaps I need to cut back on my morning coffee

10. Member
      01-06-2015 08:49 PM #10
      I only got it the first time I used it.

Vehicles
      2000 Volkswagen Golf TDI - RIP, 2014 Focus SE Hatch
      01-13-2015 09:59 AM #11
      I would choose most ON products over others. Was injured for a while from snowboarding and ON Gold Standard Whey allowed me to not lose too much muscle mass.

Stopped the pre workout stuff for a few months though, thinking of my heart
      Millersville University
      Safety Enthusiast

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dpk_photos/

Vehicles
      01-15-2015 12:00 PM #12
      Ill usually take a week or two off once im done with a pre-workout supply. I know people that refuse to workout without it, which is odd to me. I like going clean every now and then by not taking any supplements at all, then when I start back up I notice the benefits even more.

Vehicles
      01-15-2015 12:02 PM #13
      And now that I've been on the Gold Standard for a couple weeks, I have found this to be the best pre workout supplement I've ever taken. The pump is awesome and my energy level throughout the entirety of the workout is amazing.

14. Member
      01-15-2015 01:11 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by 10altimasr View Post
      Ill usually take a week or two off once im done with a pre-workout supply. I know people that refuse to workout without it, which is odd to me. I like going clean every now and then by not taking any supplements at all, then when I start back up I notice the benefits even more.
      You should always cycle supplements.

Vehicles
      01-15-2015 03:49 PM #15
      You should always cycle supplements.

Vehicles
      MKII Golf ALH, B5 A4 K04
      01-16-2015 01:26 AM #16
      I don't cycle creatine...

17. Member
      01-16-2015 10:23 AM #17
      With creatine it is anecdotal whether there are benefits, but likely there aren't, simply coming back to it makes them think the effects are increased when in fact they could have kept on it. When I am referring to supplements, I am talking about many PWO, "test booster", performance enhancers, libido supps, etc.. Anything that may have a hormone impact no matter how minor, which fills about 75% of the supplement market right now.

Vehicles
      [+7560 post] 07,13
      01-20-2015 01:40 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by 10altimasr View Post
      when I cycle off I switch to iced coffee+protein sometimes but it will usually be about a month before I cycle back on. Same with creatine as I know the excess tends to just go to waste
      Quote Originally Posted by Scottie2LO View Post
      I may or may not have slapped a cougar outside seacrits at 230am
      [Alex @ AllesGute

Vehicles
      '66 Impala
      01-25-2015 04:34 PM #19
      All pre workout stuff is junk and you are wasting your time and money. You're just better off drinking 2 cups of coffee 30 mins before workout. Because you're paying big bucks for nothing but caffeine and a brand name. If your nutrition is on point you don't need anything to get yourself going except some good music and some carbs or beet juice before you go to the gym. The beet juice gives and awesome pump, dilates your veins and produces nitric oxide. No BS it works.
      NEK '07 Chevy Crew Cab. Formerly CorradoG60
      '66 Impala 3 on the tree

20. Member
      01-25-2015 05:26 PM #20
      Caffeine and a brand name? Have you ever actually seen a PWO? I personally don't drink them because I prefer to be calm while working out, but you could not be more wrong in your statement.

Vehicles
      '66 Impala
      01-25-2015 05:43 PM #21
      I have NEVER taken a pre workout because I think it's a waste of time and money. How am I wrong, explain it to me. Not trying to cause any trouble here. All I said was you are basically paying for caffeine which is in pre workout and a companies name that is putting it out.
      If you want to get down to it the only thing that will help you is to eat REAL food and lots of it. 6-7 meals a day of high quality protein, carbs and fats. You don't need pre workout ****. All these athletes that promote it is so kids see them on an add and they buy it. The only things I take is an Animal Pak in the morning, Glutamine, Cod liver oil, Flax oil and Creatine with 6 meals a day. Other than the 2 tabs of calcium I have to take daily because of the side affects from my Remicade infusions for Colitis. I time my 4th meal 30 mins to 1 hour before I workout.
      '66 Impala 3 on the tree

22. Member
      01-25-2015 05:49 PM #22
      Well, it only takes a minute to look at the ingredient profile of any top selling PWO out now to see the list of ingredients and research what they do. If you want, I could break down a few, but I don't want to take the time unless you really cared. I mean, we are only 6 months removed from the banning of DMAA and it took all of about a month for companies to start looking for comparable ingredients.

You are correct on beet juice for nitrates, but many supplements are starting to add arginine nitrate, which is far superior.

Vehicles
      '66 Impala
      01-25-2015 06:04 PM #23
      Well, it only takes a minute to look at the ingredient profile of any top selling PWO out now to see the list of ingredients and research what they do. If you want, I could break down a few, but I don't want to take the time unless you really cared. I mean, we are only 6 months removed from the banning of DMAA and it took all of about a month for companies to start looking for comparable ingredients.

You are correct on beet juice for nitrates, but many supplements are starting to add arginine nitrate, which is far superior.
      Tell me what you think about watermelon for citrulline instead of buying a supplement.

If beets/beet juice, and watermelon are around the house sure I'll have it but I don't go out of my way to get it in my body.
      '66 Impala 3 on the tree

24. Member
      01-25-2015 07:52 PM #24
      You could never consume enough watermelon to get what you would need for a typical 6-8gr serving. Citrulline is great and offers real benefits and stacks really well with agmatine.

Vehicles
      01-28-2015 04:57 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by CorradoG602 View Post
      All pre workout stuff is junk and you are wasting your time and money. You're just better off drinking 2 cups of coffee 30 mins before workout. Because you're paying big bucks for nothing but caffeine and a brand name. If your nutrition is on point you don't need anything to get yourself going except some good music and some carbs or beet juice before you go to the gym. The beet juice gives and awesome pump, dilates your veins and produces nitric oxide. No BS it works.
      I completely disagree with you, and thats ok. What may be good for you, most likely wont be whats good for the rest of the population, and thats fine too. Im sure your opinion on these particular supplements is part of the minority.

I don't like coffee, and beets make me puke. I notice much better results while working out with pre workout supplements. They are far different than they were when they first made their appearance on the market. My nutrition is on point, and I still prefer to take it. But you are entitled to your opinion.

Vehicles
      MKII Golf ALH, B5 A4 K04
      01-28-2015 11:56 PM #26
      I take 2 scoops of ON with purus labs D-pol and I barely get a pump.
      I do notice my lifts are markably stronger and my work range is much longer but I don't get the kick in he pants I was hoping for.

Vehicles
      Yesterday 12:47 PM #27
      I take 2 scoops of ON with purus labs D-pol and I barely get a pump.
      I do notice my lifts are markably stronger and my work range is much longer but I don't get the kick in he pants I was hoping for.
      I definitely think individual results vary. The more I use it the better it seems to work. Some days I feel the beta alanine more than other days, but the endurance seems to keep building the heavier and more intense I go.