VWVortex.com - New Wagon - Megane GT220 or Octavia vRS
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 86

    Thread: New Wagon - Megane GT220 or Octavia vRS

    1. Member Mi16 Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Canberra, ACT
      Posts
      830
      Vehicles
      MY10 Golf GTI, MY09 308 HDi XSE SW
      12-31-2014 07:14 PM #1
      Whilst I enjoy my 308 HDi SW shod with Pilot Sport 3's, the grip far outweighs the power (100kW) on offer.

      I've shortlisted down to the Reggie or Skoda as mentioned in the title. Manual only.

      I've driven the previous generation TDi vRS (manual) and was impressed but with petrol engines being so efficient these days, I'd prefer to run a petrol.

      I would consider a decent Liberty (turbo) Wagon if their cabins don't feel cheap like the old Suby's.

      Is the Megane a true 'RS' car and has that sweet chassis RS are renowned for?

      I'll report back on a few test drives in the coming weeks. Look out Rolfe/Lennock, I'm going to be a pest!


      MY13 Kluger KX-S AWD / MY09 308 XSE HDi SW

    2. Member R32DBPGenV's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 25th, 2006
      Location
      Cambra
      Posts
      2,592
      Vehicles
      a black frog
      01-01-2015 08:42 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Mi16 Man View Post
      Whilst I enjoy my 308 HDi SW shod with Pilot Sport 3's, the grip far outweighs the power (100kW) on offer.

      I've shortlisted down to the Reggie or Skoda as mentioned in the title. Manual only.

      I've driven the previous generation TDi vRS (manual) and was impressed but with petrol engines being so efficient these days, I'd prefer to run a petrol.

      I would consider a decent Liberty (turbo) Wagon if their cabins don't feel cheap like the old Suby's.

      Is the Megane a true 'RS' car and has that sweet chassis RS are renowned for?

      I'll report back on a few test drives in the coming weeks. Look out Rolfe/Lennock, I'm going to be a pest!


      MY13 Kluger KX-S AWD / MY09 308 XSE HDi SW
      Talk to Phil at Rolfage, tell him I said hi and ask where my frog is lol
      It changes often

    3. Senior Member Lima's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 26th, 2002
      Location
      Canberra, Australia
      Posts
      30,844
      Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      01-02-2015 10:01 AM #3
      This may not be suitable for a number of reasons, but I just like them. If only I had a need for one I might get one for myself, but I don't so Stu can do it for me!

      http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...GC-AD-17008173

    4. Member Mi16 Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Canberra, ACT
      Posts
      830
      Vehicles
      MY10 Golf GTI, MY09 308 HDi XSE SW
      01-03-2015 06:10 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Lima View Post
      This may not be suitable for a number of reasons, but I just like them. If only I had a need for one I might get one for myself, but I don't so Stu can do it for me!

      http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...GC-AD-17008173
      2nd hand ownership has never looked so expensive Lima!!!! Got a mate trying to offload his 4yo 3 series as quick as he can. Everything that needs to be replaced is, each, $1500++

      Ouch.


      MY13 Kluger KX-S AWD / MY09 308 XSE HDi SW

    5. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 19th, 2004
      Posts
      21,847
      01-03-2015 06:13 AM #5
      I take it you need boot space? This fits the bill. Can even fit 4 track wheels.

      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bookie View Post
      gt2 is a luxury car, yes.

    6. Member Mi16 Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Canberra, ACT
      Posts
      830
      Vehicles
      MY10 Golf GTI, MY09 308 HDi XSE SW
      01-03-2015 06:22 AM #6
      Ha! I need capacity for 3x kid/booster seats in the second row.....not rims!


      MY13 Kluger KX-S AWD / MY09 308 XSE HDi SW

    7. Member Timbo_S3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 3rd, 2010
      Location
      CanBRAAAAAA!
      Posts
      2,052
      01-03-2015 03:23 PM #7
      Hmm....you might want to look at the Tiguan 155 R Line, which has a lot of Golf R underpinnings. Supply is a BIG issue for Skoda. The only thing wrong with the Renault is that we're in Australia, not France.

    8. Member Mi16 Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Canberra, ACT
      Posts
      830
      Vehicles
      MY10 Golf GTI, MY09 308 HDi XSE SW
      01-04-2015 04:45 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Timbo_S3 View Post
      Hmm....you might want to look at the Tiguan 155 R Line, which has a lot of Golf R underpinnings. Supply is a BIG issue for Skoda. The only thing wrong with the Renault is that we're in Australia, not France.
      Very nice car Tim but I'm keen on sticking to a manual. However the 132TSI Tiguan has a manual option!

      Even if I leave a $1K deposit now, I don't mind if the Skoda takes 12 months to order/build/arrive in AUS.


      MY13 Kluger KX-S AWD / MY09 308 XSE HDi SW

    9. Member phillict_R32's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 1st, 2008
      Location
      Brisbane QLD Australia
      Posts
      164
      Vehicles
      2014 Skoda Octavia RS (Current), 2010 Audi A3 (traded), MKV VW R32 (Sold), B7 Audi RS4 (Sold)
      01-05-2015 08:51 PM #9
      I may be a bit biased in this discussion having just picked up a manual Skoda Octavia RS (Petrol), but I thought I would chime in with my thoughts. I did have a look at the Megan GT220 when comparing, but never test drove it. Having previously owned VWs and

      Audis (we traded an Audi A3 for the Skoda) I was hesistant with the idea from the start. Plus my wife used to have a Puegot that seemed to be a money pit with the number of costly problems it had. I also had a look at the Subie Forester XT Premium and the Mazda

      6 Wagon Aztec. Overall the Skoda ticked all the boxes for me and my family because we were looking for a single family car that could accommodate the family, was safe and wasn't flaccid (per my request). The Skoda obvioulsly doesn't have quite the refinement

      of the GTI in which it received a heart transplant from, but this is reflected in the price. At the end of the day we liked that for the price you get the latest in safety technology, performance and accommodation and utility. Great value for money in my

      opinion.

    10. Member Mi16 Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Canberra, ACT
      Posts
      830
      Vehicles
      MY10 Golf GTI, MY09 308 HDi XSE SW
      01-06-2015 10:49 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by phillict_R32 View Post
      I may be a bit biased in this discussion having just picked up a manual Skoda Octavia RS (Petrol), but I thought I would chime in with my thoughts. I did have a look at the Megan GT220 when comparing, but never test drove it. Having previously owned VWs and

      Audis (we traded an Audi A3 for the Skoda) I was hesistant with the idea from the start. Plus my wife used to have a Puegot that seemed to be a money pit with the number of costly problems it had. I also had a look at the Subie Forester XT Premium and the Mazda

      6 Wagon Aztec. Overall the Skoda ticked all the boxes for me and my family because we were looking for a single family car that could accommodate the family, was safe and wasn't flaccid (per my request). The Skoda obvioulsly doesn't have quite the refinement

      of the GTI in which it received a heart transplant from, but this is reflected in the price. At the end of the day we liked that for the price you get the latest in safety technology, performance and accommodation and utility. Great value for money in my

      opinion.
      Thanks v much for the above. I'm of the same thought process hence why the Renault was the only other car shortlisted for me. Don't need another SUV in the garage hence why the Forester XT is off the list.

      I only got rid of my Mk6 GTI a year ago due to Baby #3 arriving. I have now inherited the Peugeot from my wife but it doesn't light my fire. The 308 been faultless in the last 3yrs of ownership which is a plus!!!




      MY13 Kluger KX-S AWD / MY09 308 XSE HDi SW

    11. Senior Member Lima's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 26th, 2002
      Location
      Canberra, Australia
      Posts
      30,844
      Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      01-06-2015 10:58 PM #11

    12. Member R32DBPGenV's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 25th, 2006
      Location
      Cambra
      Posts
      2,592
      Vehicles
      a black frog
      01-07-2015 02:50 AM #12
      Maybe?

      It changes often

    13. Member Mi16 Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Canberra, ACT
      Posts
      830
      Vehicles
      MY10 Golf GTI, MY09 308 HDi XSE SW
      01-07-2015 05:06 AM #13
      Ha! Loving the HSV and RS4 Avant suggestions.

      Better mention my budget is $45000 inc ORC and whatever trade in the 308 will give me.....$2? Ha!


      MY13 Kluger KX-S AWD / MY09 308 XSE HDi SW

    14. Member phillict_R32's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 1st, 2008
      Location
      Brisbane QLD Australia
      Posts
      164
      Vehicles
      2014 Skoda Octavia RS (Current), 2010 Audi A3 (traded), MKV VW R32 (Sold), B7 Audi RS4 (Sold)
      01-07-2015 05:24 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Mi16 Man View Post
      Thanks v much for the above. I'm of the same thought process hence why the Renault was the only other car shortlisted for me. Don't need another SUV in the garage hence why the Forester XT is off the list.

      I only got rid of my Mk6 GTI a year ago due to Baby #3 arriving. I have now inherited the Peugeot from my wife but it doesn't light my fire. The 308 been faultless in the last 3yrs of ownership which is a plus!!!




      MY13 Kluger KX-S AWD / MY09 308 XSE HDi SW


      Good luck with your search and don't forget to post pics!! Here is ours the day I picked it up.

      <iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/130440384@N02/15603284084/player/" width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

    15. Member Mi16 Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Canberra, ACT
      Posts
      830
      Vehicles
      MY10 Golf GTI, MY09 308 HDi XSE SW
      01-09-2015 05:53 PM #15
      If only we could get this SEAT in AUS;

      http://insidelane.co.uk/seat-leon-st...amily-machine/


      MY13 Kluger KX-S AWD / MY09 308 XSE HDi SW

    16. Member Zorg2's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2009
      Posts
      3,734
      Vehicles
      vw and merc white pos
      01-12-2015 02:42 PM #16
      Yes the Seat looks awesome. I thought pug are bringing in the 308 GT wagon with the 151kw 1.6 turbo or only the hatch at this stage. Failing that go with the Skoda.
      Yeah I'm a Volvo driver

    17. Member Mi16 Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Canberra, ACT
      Posts
      830
      Vehicles
      MY10 Golf GTI, MY09 308 HDi XSE SW
      01-13-2015 03:54 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Zorg2 View Post
      Yes the Seat looks awesome. I thought pug are bringing in the 308 GT wagon with the 151kw 1.6 turbo or only the hatch at this stage. Failing that go with the Skoda.
      Nice!!! And I see the petrol comes with a manual gearbox too. For me, a manual gearbox is a game changer.....

      http://www.themotorreport.com.au/#/5...wagon-revealed





      MY13 Kluger KX-S AWD / MY09 308 XSE HDi SW

    18. Member Mi16 Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Canberra, ACT
      Posts
      830
      Vehicles
      MY10 Golf GTI, MY09 308 HDi XSE SW
      01-13-2015 02:59 PM #18
      So many hot wagons out there;

      http://insidelane.co.uk/mercedes-ben...ht-just-right/


      MY13 Kluger KX-S AWD / MY09 308 XSE HDi SW

    19. Member Timbo_S3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 3rd, 2010
      Location
      CanBRAAAAAA!
      Posts
      2,052
      01-14-2015 10:34 PM #19
      I will admit to having owned a Ovlov 740 turbo wagon back in the day of 3 small children. It was quite a q car, all things considered, and was actually tagged by one of the car mags at the time as the "fastest wagon". Which is, I now realize, an oxymoron!

    20. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 19th, 2004
      Posts
      21,847
      01-16-2015 08:29 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bookie View Post
      gt2 is a luxury car, yes.

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 31st, 2011
      Location
      Canberra, ACT
      Posts
      103
      Vehicles
      2014 Ford Fiesta ST
      01-17-2015 10:07 PM #21
      God I hope Ford builds this.

      http://www.carbuzz.com/m/Article.aspx?Id=22985

    22. Member Mi16 Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Canberra, ACT
      Posts
      830
      Vehicles
      MY10 Golf GTI, MY09 308 HDi XSE SW
      01-21-2015 03:18 AM #22
      Kicked some tyres today. The Renault GT200 Premium looks nice.

      Interesting to note tyres of choice by the manufacturer. Renault was shod with Dunlop whilst the Skoda had Pirelli.



      MY13 Kluger KX-S AWD / MY09 308 XSE HDi SW

    23. Member phillict_R32's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 1st, 2008
      Location
      Brisbane QLD Australia
      Posts
      164
      Vehicles
      2014 Skoda Octavia RS (Current), 2010 Audi A3 (traded), MKV VW R32 (Sold), B7 Audi RS4 (Sold)
      01-21-2015 05:28 PM #23
      So what are your thoughts after looking?

    24. Member Mi16 Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Canberra, ACT
      Posts
      830
      Vehicles
      MY10 Golf GTI, MY09 308 HDi XSE SW
      01-21-2015 08:35 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by phillict_R32 View Post
      So what are your thoughts after looking?
      Lennock wouldn't let me inside their RS Wagon, understandably, as it was waiting for a client to collect.

      Going back to Rolfe tomorrow for a drive of the GT220......I am impressed with the dash. Looks 'clean' like the new 308's. As long as it is easy to operate!


      MY13 Kluger KX-S AWD / MY09 308 XSE HDi SW

    25. Member Zorg2's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2009
      Posts
      3,734
      Vehicles
      vw and merc white pos
      01-22-2015 02:33 PM #25
      Octy looks cool. Get one with the tech pack..
      Yeah I'm a Volvo driver

    For advertising information click HERE

    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •