Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2015 Progress Thread

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      01-02-2015 11:09 AM #1
      A new thread for a new year.

You all know what to do and what not to do!

Link to the 2014 Thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...rogress-Thread
      Link to the 2013 Thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...rogress-Thread

Vehicles
      2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT
      01-02-2015 02:20 PM #2
      I don't know what to do.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

Vehicles
      05 S2000, 07 Speed Triple
      01-02-2015 04:19 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by dcmix5 View Post
      I don't know what to do.
      Have you tried making progress?

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      01-03-2015 11:24 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Grosso View Post
      I have sketched the following plan and set up goals for this year:
      - Running 10 miles in preparation for the upcoming marathon in May.
      - I'm not thin, but I feel I need more weight, about 3 or 4 more
      - Try to burn more fat and get ripped.
      Sick plan bro.

So far my progress has been eating absolutely everything in sight. I absolutely demolished the menu at this Tapas bar last night. Going to the gym in a few minutes for the first time this year. Pull day. Going to work on my clean first, and then follow it up with pull ups, rows, shrugs, facepulls, and curls. All higher set/rep schemes, outside of either the pull ups or the rows, which will be heavier/lower reps.

Then off to a distillery for lunch.

5. Member
      01-03-2015 01:26 PM #5
      Great time to start logs for those that aren't already doing so.

6. Member
      01-03-2015 01:27 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      Sick plan bro.

So far my progress has been eating absolutely everything in sight. I absolutely demolished the menu at this Tapas bar last night. Going to the gym in a few minutes for the first time this year. Pull day. Going to work on my clean first, and then follow it up with pull ups, rows, shrugs, facepulls, and curls. All higher set/rep schemes, outside of either the pull ups or the rows, which will be heavier/lower reps.

Then off to a distillery for lunch.
      I approve of this entire post.

Vehicles
      MKII Golf ALH, B5 A4 K04
      01-04-2015 10:55 PM #7
      This time last year, i struggled to properly squat 85 lbs.
      Yesterday, I rep'd out 225x5 for 5 sets. Leg press shot up to 420 for sets of 10!
      All in, I gained 25 lbs in total body weight. Those are my 2014 highlights.

Vehicles
      '11 GTI, '12 VW Passat 2.5 SE,
      01-05-2015 08:44 AM #8
      I'm really going to try to clean up my diet this year

**starting tomorrow....because I just ate a danish for breakfast.
      Last edited by vwbrvr6; 01-05-2015 at 08:53 AM.
      VW's from my past.
      1986 Scirocco 16v, 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6, 2002 Passat 1.8t, 2005 Passat 1.8t, 2009 Passat 2.0t.

Vehicles
      2014 Focus
      01-05-2015 10:20 AM #9
      2015 goals:
      • BP - 300 (hit 280 x 1 in November)
      • OHP - 200 (hit 165 x 1 in November)
      • DL - 405 (hit 335 x 2)
      • Squat - 315

Still rehabbing the shoulder so no upper body training (aside from light rotator cuff work) until the pain is gone. Got a 5x5 squat at 205 this morning. Laughable weight but it's the most volume I've hit on it and moving to 215 Wednesday. Only 100 more lbs to go!

Goals for Spartan Sprint in April:
      1. Survive + no injuries
      2. Finish all running and obstacles without stopping (back up to 2.5 miles nonstop and hit a 9:24 mile last week)
      3. Not last one in on the team

Maybe I'll put the Spartan sticker next to the 0.0 one already on my hatch glass so I can be like this guy

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
      Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
      Team Possum 2015

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      01-05-2015 02:18 PM #10
      in
      Quote Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex View Post
      If you truly believe this, the terrorists did indeed already win. Freedom, 'murica, NFL, Wal-Mart and V8s.

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      01-06-2015 10:12 AM #11
      Horrendous push day yesterday. Got 155x5 on OHP, was expecting 8 or 9, and 230 x 3 on bench, was expecting 5-6. I blame it on the hockey game promptly followed by 8 beers on Sunday night.

Still "met" the minimums according to my programming, but, I like setting rep PRs.

Hopefully I can squat today. My knee has felt a little ****ty the last 36 hours or so. Got tripped twice in my game on Sunday and I think I must have done something. Nothing too bad, just some soreness inside the patella area, but I don't want to make it any worse. Gonna play it by ear. It feels loads better than yesterday, so I may be good to go. If not, no big deal, will get after the squats again on friday.

01-07-2015 08:16 AM #12
      Knees are so expensive and scary. I always sweat about any kind of knee pain. Still rocking the 40% torn left acl for about 4 yrs now. I love all sports but don't play any competitively now, thinking one hard cut and its snap township. Luckily bad pains for me have been from different muscles getting tight, and putting too much tension to one direction.

Vehicles
      2014 Focus
      01-07-2015 09:16 AM #13
      Hit 5x5 @ 215 squats this morning. Heading for 225 Friday. Much credit goes to the mobility work w/ an MMA instructor in prep for the race in April. Still only doing light rotator cuff training until the shoulder pain is gone. I'm going to have to scramble for some upper body catch-up if this thing doesn't heal soon.
      Team Possum 2015

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      01-07-2015 10:35 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver6 View Post
      Knees are so expensive and scary.
      I hear that. I have a buddy with a cadaver knee, and he is constantly having problems. **** that.

Quote Originally Posted by jtls8 View Post
      Hit 5x5 @ 215 squats this morning. Heading for 225 Friday.

I did 180 3x10 fronts yesterday. Knee felt pretty good. Little sore last night, but that's somewhat typical. Feels 100% fine today. Did skip out on my sled pulls as I didn't really want to push it too much. Will be doing double-time on those this friday.

Today I embark on my New Years resolution, of doing ab work. I've yet to ever do it more than a week or two at a clip. Figure since I'm in the gym 6x a week, I can get away with doing just a little bit, every day. Probably be a waste of time, but anything has to be better than absolutely nothing.

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      01-07-2015 10:45 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      Today I embark on my New Years resolution, of doing ab work. I've yet to ever do it more than a week or two at a clip. Figure since I'm in the gym 6x a week, I can get away with doing just a little bit, every day. Probably be a waste of time, but anything has to be better than absolutely nothing.
      I count squats and OHP as ab work
      If you truly believe this, the terrorists did indeed already win. Freedom, 'murica, NFL, Wal-Mart and V8s.

01-07-2015 11:41 AM #16
      More than half of last year, I was naively held back of progress from not doing ab work. It's super important towards getting stronger in the lifts. All the big stuff works ur abs yeah, until its ur abdominals turn on the wheel of fortune to be the weak point. Some muscle in the lift is always down I believe

Vehicles
      MKVI GTI, carbon steel gray, manual, sunroof/nav
      01-07-2015 02:25 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver6 View Post
      More than half of last year, I was naively held back of progress from not doing ab work. It's super important towards getting stronger in the lifts. All the big stuff works ur abs yeah, until its ur abdominals turn on the wheel of fortune to be the weak point. Some muscle in the lift is always down I believe
      That makes me sad. I hate doing abs.

Got 150x3 on over head press today on 531 day. Rep PR.

Vehicles
      MKII Golf ALH, B5 A4 K04
      01-08-2015 08:08 PM #18
      150 Ohp!? That's awsome. I'm stuck at 95 standing. I may try seated and see what that gets me.
      Today however was leg day!
      Did my 5x5 at 225. Feeling like I had some left in the tank so I tried 235 and got it 3 times. Still feeling like I wasn't done, I put 245 on my back and got it 3 times! Happy about hitting a new pr but holy crap my glutes are on fire!

19. Member
      01-09-2015 09:36 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by WOB24v View Post
      150 Ohp!? That's awsome. I'm stuck at 95 standing. I may try seated and see what that gets me.
      Don't. Work on your standing OHP by doing OHP. OHP relies on your overall posterior to maintain form and seated/miltary style does not so it doesn't translate. IMO, there isn't a lift other than maybe DL that feels better to build up. Just wait until you get your first 135 and tell me it doesn't feel awesome to push 2 plates over your head.

Vehicles
      2014 Focus
      01-09-2015 09:54 AM #20
      Hit my 5x5 @ 225 - squat pr. A single at 235 Monday will be a pr but I'm continuing this 5x5 madness. I guess the fecked rotator cuff was what I needed to kickstart the squats. Sucks that I can't DL though as that was still climbing in November.

I have to give much credit to our instructor's mobility work at the self defense school. He's prepping his team for the Spartan Sprint in April and I can actually feel my glutes and hams firing out of the hole now.

My boy is also becoming much more athletic and I believe that's got much to do with the program there. He's getting big too! And not fat. At 8 he's eating adult meals at restaurants. Anybody need their car washed so I can buy him some food?
      Team Possum 2015

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      01-09-2015 10:44 AM #21
      Yesterday I did 160x5 on OHP, and 240x5 on bench. No real gains there. May have been able to get a sixth on bench, but I had no spotter and wasn't going to risk it.

Did kill it on accessory work though, which is always fun. Triceps and chest are beat up today. Finished with 3 sets of failure push ups, with 30 seconds rest in between, followed up by a drop set of 100/75/50/25 of those rope pull down things. Tris were definitely pumped big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      Don't. Work on your standing OHP by doing OHP. OHP relies on your overall posterior to maintain form and seated/miltary style does not so it doesn't translate. IMO, there isn't a lift other than maybe DL that feels better to build up. Just wait until you get your first 135 and tell me it doesn't feel awesome to push 2 plates over your head.
      I wasted a lot of time working the seated press, thinking it'd isolate my shoulders more and give me a larger standing OHP. All it did was make it harder to stay stable.

Standing strict presses are definitely the ****.

Quote Originally Posted by jtls8 View Post
      Hit my 5x5 @ 225 - squat pr. A single at 235 Monday will be a pr but I'm continuing this 5x5 madness.
      I bet you can do ~250 right now for a single.
      Last edited by kryptonik; 01-09-2015 at 10:46 AM.

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      01-09-2015 11:09 AM #22
      Yesterday was a waste. 5/3/1 week on bench and I got to the 3-set, did 2. Tried OHP, got to the 5-set, wasn't feeling it so I just did a few sets of 10 at that weight. Went home frustrated and did nothing.

The thing is that I ****ed up my back in December. And I thought if I didn't mention it here, it wouldn't be real. Yea I dunno. I was doing deads and almost fell over backwards. It's never happened before, it just came up so fast. I was balanced on my heels for a couple seconds, terrified. I'm sure it happened then, though I don't know what "it" is. It's lower back/ass crack area and it hurts to bend my back forwards. I can do it if I go slowly. It was almost back to normal and I was like eh I'll just do some light deads and next thing I know I'm going for a max, feeling fine. And it's bolted to the floor. After that sesh, the pain is back. So I'll give it a few months stretching and whatnot. It just feels like a really tight muscle somewhere in there.

01-09-2015 12:29 PM #23
      So since im back in the gym I figured a fresh approach would be more entertaining. Today I started with 5 sets of 10 with db bench. Deadlift sets of 5 up to 365 double overhand. At the end I wanted to try some cleans haha. Don't laugh at me for wearing my belt with light weight haha, Deads used my back already. I'm gonna try to get these down, just because I hate not being able to say I can. So this is a start, I'm sure oly diehards will first say I went too heavy, but I needed to use at least this, or I wouldn't get it right. I struggle with these cuz I can easily clean 225, but I literally don't even have to get under it. I'm open to any suggestions. I feel like I have to be way too narrow or my knees hit my arms, but the wider out my arms are the weaker.
      http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/ki...F9AF1.mp4.html
      <embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1075.photobucket.c om%2Falbums%2Fw440%2Fkilbry6%2FMobile%2520Uploads% 2FCA6F9222-8C31-41A1-AAF0-2318D91F9AF1.mp4">
      Last edited by quiksilver6; 01-09-2015 at 12:32 PM.

01-09-2015 02:00 PM #24
      Learning how to get "tight" better with deads. I was repping 455 Tuesday night and it was the lightest it has ever felt to me before. One thing I've really taken away from rep training with deads is to treat each rep like it is a single. No touch-and-go, but reset each time and go - even with my warm ups. Nailing down that movement and activating all the stabilizers is paramount.

Of course then last night I tried to mess around with some higher-rep squats and my left knee got pissed about it, so I'm paying for that today. Usually prefer to space out deads and squats by a few more days.

25. Member
      01-09-2015 04:29 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
      Learning how to get "tight" better with deads. I was repping 455 Tuesday night and it was the lightest it has ever felt to me before. One thing I've really taken away from rep training with deads is to treat each rep like it is a single. No touch-and-go, but reset each time and go - even with my warm ups. Nailing down that movement and activating all the stabilizers is paramount.

Of course then last night I tried to mess around with some higher-rep squats and my left knee got pissed about it, so I'm paying for that today. Usually prefer to space out deads and squats by a few more days.
      Yes! I dramatically improved my dead form during my last round of rest pause training and it was all due to a reset in between.

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast