Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 46

    Thread: My First VR Build

    1. Junior Member h0oddub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2014
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      64
      01-04-2015 11:46 PM #1
      Hey everyone,

      I don't normally venture into the forums much on here except for DIYs but I thought I would give it a go for once.
      I recently got rid of my somewhat beat, high mileage, rusty B6 Audi A4 for a pretty much mint low mileage Jetta VR6 GLX, no rust, only one dent and couple scuffs, timing chains done 20,000km ago and ran like a top.

      However, on the way home on the highway I managed to seize the motor.

      Broken on the highway


      I'm guessing a failed oil pump or something of that nature, paired with highway speeds ended up with a hefty tow bill to my mechanic. I got a call from him the next week quoting me $3400 for a new motor and install (f*ck that!)

      He encouraged me to do the swap on my own, mk3 vr6s being an easier motor to pull and I have a heated garage to do the swap in and all the required tools and equipment, so I decided it was a good idea and would save me roughly $2000-2500 in labour.

      So I towed it home.. and dug in (day one)


      Well I had no idea what I was doing but I learned really quick and had a pretty good time pulling the engine, mostly on my own but with my friends passing in and out to lend a hand. Took me roughly 10hrs give or take a couple and the motor was out, tomorrow I will be going to talk to my guy about buying his motor and hopefully get everything swapped over in the next couple days and have the motor in by the end of the week

      After the CV axles.. gross

      Pretty nervous at this point lol

      So much room for activities!


      I will be cleaning up the bay tomorrow probably, as well as trying to get the new motor to it's new home.
      Not going to tuck the bay fully but I have deleted a couple things and will be making it look nice and clean and by the time I have the new engine in it will look better than new.
      I also ordered some new stage 0.5 mounts from BFI which should be here soon, just kind of a "while I'm in there" thing. Wish I had more money for new parts to put on while I have the engine out but my funds are running dangerously low being out of work at the moment.

      I will also get some better pictures up (sorry for the potato quality photos) once I'm all finished and have fully detailed the car and have it looking as good as it will get.

      Plans for the near future include some new coils, it's on some ****ty cup kit, some real wheels (thinking klutch republik), a proper VR lip, a new grille and a shaved trunk. If I can get those done for show season I will be very happy. After that I will be boosting it. Haven't looked too much into anything because that wont be until next winter most likely but I will be going with a turbo kit for sure, superchargers aren't enough bang for the buck it seems. I want to be sneaking up on porsches and making them feel silly haha

      That's it for now! I will keep this thread updated as well as I can.

      If anyone wants to follow the build on IG (I'm on there more frequently) my tag is h0oddub same as on here.

      Cheers!
      Dragon Green Pearl 1995 Jetta VR6

    2. Member ABA.slo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 11th, 2012
      Location
      Coventry, Ct
      Posts
      324
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI ; 1998 Jetta; 1988 Golf
      01-05-2015 12:36 PM #2
      Congrats on the first build... VR6 is a great starting point... good motor... doesn't breath well but theres nothing like it. GL with the build
      MK6 GTi
      1997 Jetta (totaled)
      1990 Golf (95 vr6 swap, 6 speed, mk3 interior, In progress...)
      1998 Jetta Gl (Resurection!)

    3. Junior Member h0oddub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2014
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      64
      01-05-2015 05:15 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by ABA.slo View Post
      Congrats on the first build... VR6 is a great starting point... good motor... doesn't breath well but theres nothing like it. GL with the build
      Thank you!
      It took a little bit of an interesting turn being that I can't find any mk3 12v motors in my city and I will be swapping a mk4 12v in!
      Going to check out a motor tonight and hopefully have it warming up in the garage tonight and starting on swapping it in tomorrow!
      Dragon Green Pearl 1995 Jetta VR6

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 26th, 2007
      Location
      19534
      Posts
      4,898
      Vehicles
      '08 touareg, '97 jb de x2, '86 vr6 Rocco, '84 8v Rocco, '95 Vr cabby, 88 cabriolet 1.8t "both hers"
      01-05-2015 07:13 PM #4

    5. Junior Member h0oddub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2014
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      64
      01-05-2015 09:12 PM #5
      Well the 12v I went to check out needed a head gasket.. Guy tried to play it off like he didn't know and suggested maybe it was "prestone".. The block and tranny were just soaked in oil. Red flags everywhere so I passed. my mechanic has a motor for me and says its nice and clean with 140xxxkm on it, hopefully picking that up tomorrow and then I start with swapping over the tranny, intake manifold and all the sensors! Just want to get this thing on the road!
      Dragon Green Pearl 1995 Jetta VR6

    6. Junior Member h0oddub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2014
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      64
      01-05-2015 09:15 PM #6
      Also, if anyone that reads this has done this swap already, is there anything specific to look out for when swapping in the mk4 12v?
      Dragon Green Pearl 1995 Jetta VR6

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 26th, 2007
      Location
      19534
      Posts
      4,898
      Vehicles
      '08 touareg, '97 jb de x2, '86 vr6 Rocco, '84 8v Rocco, '95 Vr cabby, 88 cabriolet 1.8t "both hers"
      01-05-2015 09:50 PM #7
      Just minor differences you'll notice like cam sensor and you need to use your intake valve over and throttle body. Just be full warned... At 140k I would highly recomend tryin ing to fund the chains while the motors out. I can almost gaurntee there's a busted guide.

    8. Junior Member h0oddub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2014
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      64
      01-05-2015 10:11 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by CasuallyWreckless View Post
      Just minor differences you'll notice like cam sensor and you need to use your intake valve over and throttle body. Just be full warned... At 140k I would highly recomend tryin ing to fund the chains while the motors out. I can almost gaurntee there's a busted guide.
      I was thinking this too however funds are already pretty tight going into buying a new motor.. I will probably be forced to chance holding off on the chains for now.
      I'm thinking I might stockpile some parts, cams, lifters, valve springs etc.. And do it all at once assuming I don't blow up another VR6.. lol
      Dragon Green Pearl 1995 Jetta VR6

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 26th, 2007
      Location
      19534
      Posts
      4,898
      Vehicles
      '08 touareg, '97 jb de x2, '86 vr6 Rocco, '84 8v Rocco, '95 Vr cabby, 88 cabriolet 1.8t "both hers"
      01-05-2015 10:42 PM #9
      If you keep maint up to par you should be fine... I really don't see how people blow these up on a daily driven car gotta be redlining em. I beat the piss outa mine every day with 176k and it and starts everyday to go to work... Although it does have a roller sound that I should adress cause I was too cheap/lazy to replace lifters with the cams lol

    10. Junior Member h0oddub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2014
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      64
      01-05-2015 11:10 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by CasuallyWreckless View Post
      If you keep maint up to par you should be fine... I really don't see how people blow these up on a daily driven car gotta be redlining em. I beat the piss outa mine every day with 176k and it and starts everyday to go to work... Although it does have a roller sound that I should adress cause I was too cheap/lazy to replace lifters with the cams lol
      Yeah no kidding. I get the feeling that the previous owner neglected this motor. The oil was really really sludgey when I drained it. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why it clogged and seized.
      Dragon Green Pearl 1995 Jetta VR6

    11. Member ABA.slo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 11th, 2012
      Location
      Coventry, Ct
      Posts
      324
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI ; 1998 Jetta; 1988 Golf
      01-07-2015 03:34 PM #11
      I've never put a 24v in a mk3 but I'm putting a 12v with a 02m swap 6 speed in my mk2 with mk3 dash


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      MK6 GTi
      1997 Jetta (totaled)
      1990 Golf (95 vr6 swap, 6 speed, mk3 interior, In progress...)
      1998 Jetta Gl (Resurection!)

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 26th, 2007
      Location
      19534
      Posts
      4,898
      Vehicles
      '08 touareg, '97 jb de x2, '86 vr6 Rocco, '84 8v Rocco, '95 Vr cabby, 88 cabriolet 1.8t "both hers"
      01-07-2015 05:21 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by ABA.slo View Post
      I've never put a 24v in a mk3 but I'm putting a 12v with a 02m swap 6 speed in my mk2 with mk3 dash


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Pretty sure he's staying 12v
      Buttttt be ready to cut and weld for that o2m to work and you'll need bolt in spring style 100mm axel cups for the trans as well

      Op you pick that motor up off your mech?

    13. Junior Member h0oddub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2014
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      64
      01-07-2015 07:47 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by ABA.slo View Post
      I've never put a 24v in a mk3 but I'm putting a 12v with a 02m swap 6 speed in my mk2 with mk3 dash
      Very cool! I'm just sticking with the 02a. 5spd works for me! Good luck with your project!

      Quote Originally Posted by CasuallyWreckless View Post
      Pretty sure he's staying 12v
      Buttttt be ready to cut and weld for that o2m to work and you'll need bolt in spring style 100mm axel cups for the trans as well

      Op you pick that motor up off your mech?
      Yeah I'm sticking with a 12v! Wanted to keep it as simple as possible and yes! $1000 for the 12v mk4 motor I mentioned, with an autotragic transmission (which I am going to try to sell).
      Making good progress! Got the motor home last night and today I have stripped the mk4 wiring harness off, gotten most of the plumbing off, the intake manifold removed and the transmission unbolted.

      Going to be working on swapping the exhaust manifold and downpipes for the ones from my mk3 (the ones on this engine are pretty effed) as well as heat wrapping the headers so I can get rid of some heatshields that have snapped bolts.
      Hopefully I will have the majority of this swap done by friday and the motor will be ready to go in this weekend!
      Still waiting on my BFI engine mounts though!

      Also decided to do the A/C and P/S delete to run a shortened accessory belt and I may order a new crackpipe and thermostat housing (while I'm in there!)
      Dragon Green Pearl 1995 Jetta VR6

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 26th, 2007
      Location
      19534
      Posts
      4,898
      Vehicles
      '08 touareg, '97 jb de x2, '86 vr6 Rocco, '84 8v Rocco, '95 Vr cabby, 88 cabriolet 1.8t "both hers"
      01-07-2015 08:29 PM #14
      I have a billet crackpipe laying around somewhere I believe say 50$ shipped?

    15. Junior Member h0oddub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2014
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      64
      01-07-2015 08:35 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by CasuallyWreckless View Post
      I have a billet crackpipe laying around somewhere I believe say 50$ shipped?
      Let me just double check that I don't already have a metal crackpipe on the mk3 motor! (I've noticed a couple things that indicate someone at some point knew what was up with these cars) but if not I will PM you!
      Also should probably confirm mk3/mk4 crackpipes are interchangeable
      Dragon Green Pearl 1995 Jetta VR6

    16. Junior Member h0oddub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2014
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      64
      01-07-2015 10:37 PM #16
      Decided to kinda spur of the moment order some new headers, after seeing what the oem ones look like, not even looking for a power increase, just something that will complete a full exhaust and just kind of update something that I can afford to update.
      They're just some eBay "Manzo" headers, only cost me about $200 and if i ever turbo this car it's not huge investment.
      So now I'm waiting on engine mounts and headers I guess!

      Going to try to finish swapping all the wiring and transmission by the end of this week and have it ready to just slap on the headers, intake manifold and throttle body and then put the motor back in the car.
      Dragon Green Pearl 1995 Jetta VR6

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 26th, 2007
      Location
      19534
      Posts
      4,898
      Vehicles
      '08 touareg, '97 jb de x2, '86 vr6 Rocco, '84 8v Rocco, '95 Vr cabby, 88 cabriolet 1.8t "both hers"
      01-07-2015 11:08 PM #17
      Cancel that 200$ eBay order and do timing chains or something.. Waste of money esp if you plan to boost down the rd.

    18. Junior Member h0oddub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2014
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      64
      01-08-2015 12:32 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by CasuallyWreckless View Post
      Cancel that 200$ eBay order and do timing chains or something.. Waste of money esp if you plan to boost down the rd.
      Eh, I think I'll be happy with them, I haven't quite decided what I'm gonna do with this car yet and even if I do turbo it won't be for a year or two anyways.

      Also to clarify this motor has 140xxxkm. Equivalent is 86xxx miles.
      Dragon Green Pearl 1995 Jetta VR6

    19. Junior Member h0oddub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2014
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      64
      01-09-2015 09:34 PM #19
      To anyone following this or curious how difficult a swap it is to run a 12v mk4 motor in a mk3 car here are some updates!
      I have swapped over the valve cover, alternator, oil filter, oil pressure sensor and fit up the old cooling components (crack pipe and coolant flange/thermostat housing)
      These parts are all direct fitment and the only thing I had to do was put a thicker o-ring on the oil sensor to get it properly seated.

      I am currently waiting on my new headers, intake manifold gaskets, valve cover gasket, new o-rings for my crackpipe (which I lucked out with finding the previous owner had put in an aluminum one!) and my new thermostat, thermostat housing, coolant flange and all the seals and hardware.

      Once I get those I just have to throw them on, bolt up the transmission (which I may do this weekend while I am waiting for parts) and it will be ready to go back in the car!

      The only thing I have actually had to modify is the cam position sensor, as the mk3 sensor is a little longer than the mk4 sensor so it doesn't fit. I just trimmed the plug on the sensor so the mk3 harness's connector fits over. Both sensors have a 3-tab connector so it wasn't a difficult modification to make.

      Overview of everything I've noted needed to do this swap :

      -mk3 vr6 valve cover (direct bolt using mk4 hardware)
      -mk3 vr6 wiring harness (bracket bolts onto mk4 head)
      -mk3 plumbing (crackpipe/thermostat/coolant flange [direct fit])
      -mk3 alternator (mk3/mk4 connections are different)
      -mk3 oil filter (direct bolt on to mk4 block
      -mk3 vr6 intake manifolds (upper and lower, along with fuel injector rail [haven't bolted up but should be direct fit])
      -mk3 vr6 throttle body
      -modify mk4 cam position sensor connector to fit mk3 harness connector

      That's all I can think of for now, when I finish everything I will update and complete this list. I can't speak for a/c and p/s pump fitment because I delete them (racekor) but they should be identical, same deal as alternator, just need to be swapped for different connectors. i also deleted my SAI which I would recommend. probably will be deleting my EGR and PCV as well. Exhaust manifolds are exactly the same too.

      Essentially what this swap ends up being is a MK4 VR6 head and block/internals mated with MK3 12v VR6 sensors, accessories, wiring harness, fueling, intake manifolds, valve cover, and mounting brackets.

      There is very limited info about this swap on the internet so hopefully this will shed some light on the subject.
      Dragon Green Pearl 1995 Jetta VR6

    20. Member Ssbsts23's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2013
      Location
      martinsburg, wv
      Posts
      105
      Vehicles
      96 mk3 gti(surf green) vr6 12v
      01-09-2015 09:49 PM #20
      I've done the mk4 vr in a mk3 gti once, then i blew it up. taught me to look closer at **** before i buy. pretty sure the reason mine blew is that the PO didn't do ANY kinda maintenance whatsoever. pretty ****ty considering that these motors are "near bulletproof". but good luck with this!! its really pretty self explanatory if you've been around a garage long enough. ill be watching!!

    21. Junior Member h0oddub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2014
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      64
      01-09-2015 10:56 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Ssbsts23 View Post
      I've done the mk4 vr in a mk3 gti once, then i blew it up. taught me to look closer at **** before i buy. pretty sure the reason mine blew is that the PO didn't do ANY kinda maintenance whatsoever. pretty ****ty considering that these motors are "near bulletproof". but good luck with this!! its really pretty self explanatory if you've been around a garage long enough. ill be watching!!
      Yeah haha same reason the mk3 12v blew up on me I think..
      Last edited by h0oddub; 01-14-2015 at 09:53 PM.
      Dragon Green Pearl 1995 Jetta VR6

    22. Junior Member Elementti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2010
      Location
      Euro / Finland
      Posts
      42
      Vehicles
      Vento VR6 1992
      01-10-2015 05:45 AM #22
      Redline all the way If it wont take it, repair and make it stronger!
      Bad luck with that first engine :I More pics of build?
      Looking really good for fist build.
      Chains > Headers

    23. Member My Big's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 26th, 2010
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      2,715
      Vehicles
      1994 Integra GS-R, 1994 Jetta 16v, 1997 GTI VR6
      01-11-2015 01:50 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by h0oddub View Post
      To anyone following this or curious how difficult a swap it is to run a 12v mk4 motor in a mk3 car here are some updates!
      I have swapped over the valve cover, alternator, oil filter, oil pressure sensor and fit up the old cooling components (crack pipe and coolant flange/thermostat housing)
      These parts are all direct fitment and the only thing I had to do was put a thicker o-ring on the oil sensor to get it properly seated.

      I am currently waiting on my new headers, intake manifold gaskets, valve cover gasket, new o-rings for my crackpipe (which I lucked out with finding the previous owner had put in an aluminum one!) and my new thermostat, thermostat housing, coolant flange and all the seals and hardware.

      Once I get those I just have to throw them on, bolt up the transmission (which I may do this weekend while I am waiting for parts) and it will be ready to go back in the car!

      The only thing I have actually had to modify is the cam position sensor, as the mk3 sensor is a little longer than the mk4 sensor so it doesn't fit. I just trimmed the plug on the sensor so the mk3 harness's connector fits over. Both sensors have a 3-tab connector so it wasn't a difficult modification to make.

      Overview of everything I've noted needed to do this swap :

      -mk3 vr6 valve cover (direct bolt using mk4 hardware)
      -mk3 vr6 wiring harness (bracket bolts onto mk4 head)
      -mk3 plumbing (crackpipe/thermostat/coolant flange [direct fit])
      -mk3 alternator (mk3/mk4 connections are different)
      -mk3 oil filter (direct bolt on to mk4 block
      -mk3 vr6 intake manifolds (upper and lower, along with fuel injector rail [haven't bolted up but should be direct fit])
      -mk3 vr6 throttle body
      -modify mk4 cam position sensor connector to fit mk3 harness connector

      That's all I can think of for now, when I finish everything I will update and complete this list. I can't speak for a/c and p/s pump fitment because I delete them (racekor) but they should be identical, same deal as alternator, just need to be swapped for different connectors. i also deleted my SAI which I would recommend. probably will be deleting my EGR and PCV as well. Exhaust manifolds are exactly the same too.

      Essentially what this swap ends up being is a MK4 VR6 head and block/internals mated with MK3 12v VR6 sensors, accessories, wiring harness, fueling, intake manifolds, valve cover, and mounting brackets.

      There is very limited info about this swap on the internet so hopefully this will shed some light on the subject.
      Talk to rootbeer, he knows a lot about VR6's.
      Check out my FS threads!
      MK3 PARTS FOR SALE
      OEM+ or Bust!

    24. Member LilBlkCL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 23rd, 2001
      Location
      Directly under the Earth's sun
      Posts
      9,159
      01-11-2015 10:06 AM #24
      Good luck on tackling this project!

      I'm reading this like "He doesn't really know what he's doing - just like me!" As someone who might want to tackle a VR swap one day, I'm watching and cheering you on.
      -Mike
      1997 Volkswagen Golf CL
      2001.5 Volkswagen Passat V6 4Motion Beer/parts/material hauler
      2008 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T wagon wife's ride

    25. Junior Member h0oddub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2014
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      64
      01-11-2015 09:03 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Elementti View Post
      Redline all the way If it wont take it, repair and make it stronger!
      Bad luck with that first engine :I More pics of build?
      Looking really good for fist build.
      Chains > Headers
      That's my driving philosophy too!
      I'll take some pictures of when I've got the motor all assembled and ready to go in.
      And I think I will be stockpiling some new stuff to go in at the same time as the chains. Hopefully have it all ready to go in late spring/early summer.
      Running low on funds right now! It's kind of bad timing because it would be easiest to do it all now with the motor out but I'll have to be reusing some parts for now.
      Dragon Green Pearl 1995 Jetta VR6

    26. Junior Member h0oddub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2014
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      64
      01-11-2015 09:06 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by LilBlkCL View Post
      Good luck on tackling this project!

      I'm reading this like "He doesn't really know what he's doing - just like me!" As someone who might want to tackle a VR swap one day, I'm watching and cheering you on.
      Yeah no kidding! I've learned a lot by just going for it, taking it apart and putting it back together.
      I've been doing a lot more of my own work lately, all part of the learning curve!
      Dragon Green Pearl 1995 Jetta VR6

    27. Member DougVRT's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 16th, 2014
      Location
      Jacknville Florida
      Posts
      377
      Vehicles
      1996 GTI VR6
      01-12-2015 06:48 AM #27
      Yeah a VR has been my first. Still is. At 130k miles do far. Atleast 40k turbo charged. It my daily as well.

    28. Junior Member h0oddub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2014
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      64
      01-13-2015 10:24 PM #28
      Small problem, when swapping the mk3 passenger motor mount bracket onto the mk4 block, I realized that the mk4 block didn't have any thread for the bolts but it does have the holes.
      Does anyone know what size of bolt that the mk3 motor mount bracket uses? This is the bracket on the rear of the engine, passenger side close to the firewall.
      Dragon Green Pearl 1995 Jetta VR6

    29. Member Arsin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 4th, 2008
      Location
      Edmonton, AB
      Posts
      2,516
      Vehicles
      02 GTI, 95 Passat Sedan (RIP)
      01-14-2015 11:31 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by h0oddub View Post
      Yeah no kidding. I get the feeling that the previous owner neglected this motor. The oil was really really sludgey when I drained it. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why it clogged and seized.
      So here's a good question, did you hit the oil pan at any point? The previous owner did not neglect the car at all. I know both the guy you bought it from and the original owner. I also know the two mechanics that took care of the car. This car was fine until you ignored the oil pressure light.

      Also have a picture of a text you sent saying the oil light started flashing, you pulled over checked the oil was still there and then kept driving and then it died on you. Seems like you neglected that the oil light is actually the oil pressure, which if the oil pan got hit and bent the pick up tube would cause low pressure and seize the engine. Don't blame the guy you bought it from for your mistake on ignoring the oil pressure light.
      Last edited by Arsin; 01-14-2015 at 11:35 AM.

    30. Member BolideVW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 11th, 2011
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      455
      Vehicles
      2005 GLI
      01-14-2015 12:26 PM #30
      Good job Evan, looks like some solid progress.

      As for the comments about the previous owner, its likely just bad luck and a coincidence that the low oil pressure happened right after you bought it. Crappy situation for everyone nonetheless.
      Instagram: dmanchant

      GTX3071r .63ar, CTS t3 manifold & DP, Tial 38mm, FMIC, Forge 004, Maestro 630cc (@4bar) mafless file, 144x19 IE Rods

    31. Member ABA.slo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 11th, 2012
      Location
      Coventry, Ct
      Posts
      324
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI ; 1998 Jetta; 1988 Golf
      01-14-2015 01:24 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by CasuallyWreckless View Post
      Pretty sure he's staying 12v
      Buttttt be ready to cut and weld for that o2m to work and you'll need bolt in spring style 100mm axel cups for the trans as well

      Op you pick that motor up off your mech?
      DOPE! My bad man, i did exactly what i can't stand is when the post was skimmed and some asks a stupid question... I believe the thread pitch is an M10 x 1.5 but I can check on my MK3 vr6 I have on the engine stand....

      I agreed with the suggestion on the chains (although i agree with you on the headers as well if you have the cash, at the least it looks better.... as long as you dont lose HP), as well as a clutch kit, only if you in there, nothing is worse then having to pull it all back apart, replace gaskets and fluids you just bought.

      Suggestion for you first motor swap things to have:
      German Power steering fluid. (liquid gold as i like to call it)
      Compression washers for power steering ( hate seeing new fluid on the ground, or PS whines)
      Compression check the engine as well. If your replacing spark plugs go with NGKs (that what the dealers run)


      HIGHLY INVEST IN A BENTLEY MANUAL if you dont have one. I call my MK3 on the bible cause it s 4 inches thick

      NONETHELESS, you seem to have an pretty good handle on the build, again, GOOD LUCK. Ill check that thread pitch on the bolts for the rear engine bracket.
      Last edited by ABA.slo; 01-14-2015 at 01:27 PM.
      MK6 GTi
      1997 Jetta (totaled)
      1990 Golf (95 vr6 swap, 6 speed, mk3 interior, In progress...)
      1998 Jetta Gl (Resurection!)

    32. Member ABA.slo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 11th, 2012
      Location
      Coventry, Ct
      Posts
      324
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI ; 1998 Jetta; 1988 Golf
      01-14-2015 01:41 PM #32
      Threads are a m10x1.5


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      MK6 GTi
      1997 Jetta (totaled)
      1990 Golf (95 vr6 swap, 6 speed, mk3 interior, In progress...)
      1998 Jetta Gl (Resurection!)

    33. Junior Member h0oddub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2014
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      64
      01-14-2015 02:56 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Arsin View Post
      So here's a good question, did you hit the oil pan at any point? The previous owner did not neglect the car at all. I know both the guy you bought it from and the original owner. I also know the two mechanics that took care of the car. This car was fine until you ignored the oil pressure light.

      Also have a picture of a text you sent saying the oil light started flashing, you pulled over checked the oil was still there and then kept driving and then it died on you. Seems like you neglected that the oil light is actually the oil pressure, which if the oil pan got hit and bent the pick up tube would cause low pressure and seize the engine. Don't blame the guy you bought it from for your mistake on ignoring the oil pressure light.
      Yeah I don't know, maybe I was wrong about the PO. It's pretty easy to get upset when something like that happens though.

      Quote Originally Posted by BolideVW View Post
      Good job Evan, looks like some solid progress.

      As for the comments about the previous owner, its likely just bad luck and a coincidence that the low oil pressure happened right after you bought it. Crappy situation for everyone nonetheless.
      Thanks Dylan, yeah like I said, maybe it wasn't the PO's fault.

      Quote Originally Posted by ABA.slo View Post
      DOPE! My bad man, i did exactly what i can't stand is when the post was skimmed and some asks a stupid question... I believe the thread pitch is an M10 x 1.5 but I can check on my MK3 vr6 I have on the engine stand....

      I agreed with the suggestion on the chains (although i agree with you on the headers as well if you have the cash, at the least it looks better.... as long as you dont lose HP), as well as a clutch kit, only if you in there, nothing is worse then having to pull it all back apart, replace gaskets and fluids you just bought.

      Suggestion for you first motor swap things to have:
      German Power steering fluid. (liquid gold as i like to call it)
      Compression washers for power steering ( hate seeing new fluid on the ground, or PS whines)
      Compression check the engine as well. If your replacing spark plugs go with NGKs (that what the dealers run)


      HIGHLY INVEST IN A BENTLEY MANUAL if you dont have one. I call my MK3 on the bible cause it s 4 inches thick

      NONETHELESS, you seem to have an pretty good handle on the build, again, GOOD LUCK. Ill check that thread pitch on the bolts for the rear engine bracket.
      Thanks for all the suggestions! I have a friend who is going to lend me his Bentley, I will buy one eventually no doubt.
      Dragon Green Pearl 1995 Jetta VR6

    34. Member Arsin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 4th, 2008
      Location
      Edmonton, AB
      Posts
      2,516
      Vehicles
      02 GTI, 95 Passat Sedan (RIP)
      01-14-2015 04:45 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by h0oddub View Post
      Yeah I don't know, maybe I was wrong about the PO. It's pretty easy to get upset when something like that happens though.

      Thanks Dylan, yeah like I said, maybe it wasn't the PO's fault.
      Blaming others for your misfortune isn't a good way to deal with things in life when something bad happens. The PO had the same thing happen on a 24v VR6, lost oil pressure because of main bearings, it can happen to anyone at any time. I can guarantee that it wasn't the PO's fault, he maintained the car while he had it.

      Like I said pull the pan and check the pick up tube and you didn't really answer the question about hitting the pan.

      Good luck with your swap though.

    35. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 26th, 2007
      Location
      19534
      Posts
      4,898
      Vehicles
      '08 touareg, '97 jb de x2, '86 vr6 Rocco, '84 8v Rocco, '95 Vr cabby, 88 cabriolet 1.8t "both hers"
      01-14-2015 06:57 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Arsin View Post
      Blaming others for your misfortune isn't a good way to deal with things in life when something bad happens. The PO had the same thing happen on a 24v VR6, lost oil pressure because of main bearings, it can happen to anyone at any time. I can guarantee that it wasn't the PO's fault, he maintained the car while he had it.

      Like I said pull the pan and check the pick up tube and you didn't really answer the question about hitting the pan.

      Good luck with your swap though.
      and there's a twist

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •