Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audi Q3 vs. Lexus NX

1. 01-11-2015 06:37 PM #1
      Checked out a Lexus NX and Audi Q3 today, some observations:

The NX is actually surprisingly compact, seems quite close in size to the Q3.

But it was interesting to compare what level of detailing and finish quality each brand perceives as acceptable to pass for a premium car. Tell me more about the Germans etc...
      Mainstream cars: Honda, Mazda
      Premium cars: Lexus
      Awesome cars: Tesla

01-11-2015 06:41 PM #2
      Oh Christ on a crutch not this surface detailing crap again. I see two cars with different design philosophies.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

3. 01-11-2015 06:45 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Oh Christ on a crutch not this surface detailing crap again. I see two cars with different design philosophies.
      If this is Audi's future "design philosophy", then good luck. The Q3 barely looked like it could pass for a premium car but it was more than surfacing. The paint job, overall detailing (small things like door handles, chrome DLO), and exterior panel gaps were all worse.

Q5s are much better, but they cost more too.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      01-11-2015 06:48 PM #4
      Not sure about the price comparison, but an NX is a full 10" longer than a Q3. It's more Q5 sized, and even then the NX has a longer, more wagon-like cargo area.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Sportwagen TDI
      01-11-2015 06:49 PM #5
      It is hard to see any panel gaps on the NX cause there're so many creases in the way
      Last edited by CostcoPizza; 01-11-2015 at 06:56 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by efrie View Post

I told him the car wasn't going to win any races, to which he responded was "chill".

6. 01-11-2015 06:53 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Not sure about the price comparison, but an NX is a full 10" longer than a Q3. It's more Q5 sized, and even then the NX has a longer, more wagon-like cargo area.
      Maybe it's the styling but it seemed quite compact. I was expecting a slightly smaller RX. It printed smaller than a Q5 as well.

Base prices (US) are $32,500 for the Q3 and $34,480 for the NX.

Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      It is hard to see any panel gaps on the NX cause there're so many creases in the way

It would be almost impossible to compare panel gaps from the photos, but I was very impressed at how tightly the NX was built, the gap between the two doors at the B-pillar especially was very tight (tried to capture it in the last pics).

Anyways my point with this was not necessarily to bash the Q3 or Audi's design philosophy, but the perception that anything German is automatically superior because it's German or that a Lexus cannot be compared to "German cars" in these areas because it's not German.

You don't have to be German to build high quality or genuinely premium cars that are on par with or better made/finished/detailed than German counterparts.
      Last edited by baljet; 01-11-2015 at 07:05 PM.

Vehicles
      2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      01-11-2015 07:19 PM #7
      Problem with the Q3 is that it's based on the previous generation PQ35 platform, not the modern MQB architecture. Not in the market for one of these but the improvements made with MQB are substantial enough to make the Q3 a complete non-starter in my book. It's replacement won't be here for at least 2-3 years.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '11 Rav4 V6, '13 TL SH-AWD
      01-11-2015 07:20 PM #8
      Why is it news that a Lexus vehicle has tight panel gaps?

I would think it would be newsworthy if it did NOT have tight panel gaps.

Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q3 2.0T quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      01-11-2015 07:24 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by baljet View Post

But it was interesting to compare what level of detailing and finish quality each brand perceives as acceptable to pass for a premium car.
      No kidding. The panel gap on the NX's rear hatch and rear door (trailing edge) is probably twice what the Q3 has.

10. 01-11-2015 07:30 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      No kidding. The panel gap on the NX's rear hatch and rear door (trailing edge) is probably twice what the Q3 has.
      The rear door pic was taken at an angle on the Q3, direct shot on the NX. the rear door gap in reality was comparable to the middle door gap with both cars, and the Lexus achieved a tighter gap overall even with all that surfacing.

The hatch gap is much larger on the Q3, both in person, and noticeable in pics

But these were minor quibbles.

The Q3's impression overall from a styling/bodywork perspective, a finish/paintwork perspective, detailing of trim used, and yes, panel gaps overall, was of a vehicle one would perceive at face value to cost much less - or executed to a noticeably lower standard.

This is really for the people who claim the Germans are always superior at these things (making premium cars), or that they're in a class of their own, and that a fancy Toyota aka Lexus could not be compared.

That fancy Toyota is easily comparable or superior in many of these areas. In this comparison (especially in person), the fancy Toyota was the one in a class of its own compared to the Q3.
      Last edited by baljet; 01-11-2015 at 07:39 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Sportwagen TDI
      01-11-2015 07:32 PM #11

Anyways my point with this was not necessarily to bash the Q3 or Audi's design philosophy, but the perception that anything German is automatically superior because it's German or that a Lexus cannot be compared to "German cars" in these areas because it's not German.

You don't have to be German to build high quality or genuinely premium cars that are on par with or better made/finished/detailed than German counterparts.
      My gosh. Could you have picked a more trite, outdated point to prove?

Save for a few trolls, everyone already acknowledges that a quality car can come from pretty much anywhere these days.
      Quote Originally Posted by efrie View Post

I told him the car wasn't going to win any races, to which he responded was "chill".

12. 01-11-2015 07:49 PM #12

Save for a few trolls, everyone already acknowledges that a quality car can come from pretty much anywhere these days.
      There is a difference between a quality car and a premium car. A premium car is not necessarily a quality car and vice versa. An Acura RDX is a quality car, but it is nowhere near as convincingly premium in its execution as an NX. Understanding what makes a premium car and executing premium cars to a standard worth paying premium prices for has always been perceived to be a solely German affair sub $100k.

A Lexus is a fancy Toyota, it can never be truly "premium", whereas in reality, Lexus is probably one of the few or only non-German brands to understand and execute premium not just on par with but many times (like with this example) above the Germans. This explains why Lexus has seen so much success in such a short time where other attempts (Acura, Infiniti, Buick, Lincoln, Cadillac, Volvo) have failed.

Vehicles
      01-11-2015 07:49 PM #13
      The rear door pic was taken at an angle on the Q3, direct shot on the NX. the rear door gap in reality was comparable to the middle door gap with both cars, and the Lexus achieved a tighter gap overall even with all that surfacing.
      No, this shot.

A small child could escape that vertical gap between the bottom of the tail light and the bottom of the hatch.

And that black trim to the right of the rear hatch window doesn't line up with anything on the lower right hand corner of the glass.

The best part of this thread is that you're being serious.

Vehicles
      monty green money pit, 91 audi 80 quattro, 01 nogaro blue Audi S4
      01-11-2015 08:01 PM #14
      Definitely agree with shome. That was the first thing I noticed when you started talking about panel gaps.

I would hope Lexus is a true competitor with the Germans by now. They do build pretty nice cars. If only they could make them look halfway decent. There styling on anything new just is not to my personal taste.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti View Post
      Stance anything...I just. .. Yeah. Sounds horrific lol

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GTI SE DSG & Lighting (Past: 2012 Golf with Convience / 2007 Jetta)
      01-11-2015 08:11 PM #15

QFT.

It doesn't matter where the product is or who even makes the product. In this day and age, more than ever before, it is how the product is made that counts.
      It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning. - Henry Ford

Vehicles
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TD Turbodiesel
      01-11-2015 08:16 PM #16
      Can we make this thread about cute baby goats now?

Twitter | Car Photoblog | Art Blog | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval

Vehicles
      13 Optima, 10 GT-R
      01-11-2015 08:19 PM #17
      Why not compare it to the vehicle it actually competes against- the Q5?

Oh, I know. Because you're 1 sick fanboy and your idiotic point about 'finishing touches' wouldn't apply.

Lexus is pulling a Kia/Hyundai with the NX- pricing it cheaper than the relevant German competition to get some share. Equivalent models of the NX and the Q5 have a 2k-ish spread.
      Quote Originally Posted by teklord69 View Post
      Scenario: Uphill on two lane hwy. You need to pass and overtake a slower vehicle. That 151 torque won't let you. You will hit an oncoming car the opposite side if you do.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 VW Passat 1.8t
      01-11-2015 08:20 PM #18
      Do you define premium on looks alone? If we're seriously critiquing the build quality based on panel gap (which is probably well within tolerances) than neither bother me. Only thing that would bother me is if I could fit my hand through it, or if it was touching. I guess if that's the only thing we're looking for in the build quality of a car, humans are doing pretty good.

I much prefer the Audi for its clean curves and lines. The Lexus has no appeal to me because there's just too much going on in the metal work and accent pieces.

And also if you're comparing how Germans engineer versus how the Japanese engineer, it's different. A team of engineers and designers design and create the whole concept while a factory puts that concept together physically heavily by machine with the assistance of man. Pretty sizable difference between engineering and building.
      Last edited by vbora01; 01-11-2015 at 08:27 PM.

Vehicles
      13 Optima, 10 GT-R
      01-11-2015 08:23 PM #19
      No, this shot.

A small child could escape that vertical gap between the bottom of the tail light and the bottom of the hatch.

And that black trim to the right of the rear hatch window doesn't line up with anything on the lower right hand corner of the glass.

Rekt by his own pictures. Amazing.
      Quote Originally Posted by teklord69 View Post
      Scenario: Uphill on two lane hwy. You need to pass and overtake a slower vehicle. That 151 torque won't let you. You will hit an oncoming car the opposite side if you do.

Vehicles
      Lexus Hybrid, '14 Panda Smart
      01-11-2015 08:54 PM #20
      Funny how all the hate is from German(cough VW) owners.

Only things I like about the NX more than the Q3: the power, bulging fenders, and power rear seats.

And the hybrid runs on 87 gas!

21. 01-11-2015 08:56 PM #21
      No, this shot.

Oh Shome, one of the veteran proponents of the German superiority complex. Comparing an Audi to a Lexus? How can I be serious right?

Here is a closer look at the hatch gap:

Wasn't intending on making this a panel gap thread, since it's just one factor.

An NX bases at ~$2k above a Q3, you have dealers where you live I'm sure, go check both out and tell me if the product execution matches the price difference.

The original photos themselves are telling, more so when you compare in person. The fact that people are justifying the Q3 shows the issue.
      Last edited by baljet; 01-11-2015 at 09:02 PM.

Vehicles
      01-11-2015 09:05 PM #22

The original photos themselves are telling, more so when you compare in person. The fact that people are justifying the Q3 shows the issue.
      Will it take you until page 2 to realize you're the only one taking this thread seriously?

So which one drove better? Or did you really go to the dealer to take pictures of panel gaps and door handles to post them here?

23. 01-11-2015 09:10 PM #23
      Will it take you until page 2 to realize you're the only one taking this thread seriously?

So which one drove better? Or did you really go to the dealer to take pictures of panel gaps and door handles to post them here?

Ahh yes the "which drives better" crutch. I guess now you can move on to purporting the myth that the Audi will naturally drive better because it's German.
      Last edited by baljet; 01-11-2015 at 09:13 PM.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      01-11-2015 09:20 PM #24

An NX bases at ~$2k above a Q3, you have dealers where you live I'm sure, go check both out and tell me if the product execution matches the price difference.

Oh, seriously, bad idea. You could tell shomegrown to test an LFA vs an A4 and we all know which one would come out superior.

Vehicles
      01-11-2015 09:21 PM #25
      Ahh yes the "which drives better" crutch. I guess now you can move on to purporting the myth that the Audi will naturally drive better because it's German.
      I have no idea, I haven't driven the Lexus yet. I'll probably have the chance to tool around in one for a few days eventually.

My wife drives the Q3 a lot more than I do. She's made comments on the drive. I don't think the word "panel gap" is in her vocabulary.

But hey, everyone has their own priorities, right?

Vehicles
      01-11-2015 09:24 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye(OH) View Post
      Oh, seriously, bad idea. You could tell shomegrown to test an LFA vs an A4 and we all know which one would come out superior.
      Herp derp good one.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      01-11-2015 09:26 PM #27
      Herp derp good one.
      Why is that herp derp?

An audi thread pops up and there is one guarantee.

Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra, '90 Daihatsu Rocky
      01-11-2015 09:26 PM #28
      Well, this thread is ****.
      I'm not happy until you're not happy.

Vehicles
      CL_S, NA
      01-11-2015 09:31 PM #29
      The chrome window trim is misaligned..
      Quote Originally Posted by mike02467 View Post
      If this guy builds a twin turbo W8 Mid engined golf I will eat my own poop and post the video on here.
      anti-GM, anti-Hyundai, anti-unibody, pro-Daihatsu.

*Turbio Raged At Me Crew*Forgotten Gems Crew*Always Question OP's Credibility Crew*

30. 01-11-2015 09:31 PM #30
      I have no idea, I haven't driven the Lexus yet. I'll probably have the chance to tool around in one for a few days eventually.

My wife drives the Q3 a lot more than I do. She's made comments on the drive. I don't think the word "panel gap" is in her vocabulary.

But hey, everyone has their own priorities, right?
      And here I thought words like "panel gap", "fit and finish", and "build quality" were common terms when talking up premium German cars over their non-German competition.

Vehicles
      '14 IS350, '00 F-150 V6 5MT, '30 Ford A
      01-11-2015 09:35 PM #31
      The "Lexus is a fancy Toyota" thing is really getting old. An Audi is just a fancy VW, right? (A3 vs Golf)

The IS, GS, LS have nothing in common with any Toyota whatsoever. They don't share a platform, they don't share engines, and they are built to much higher quality requirements from paint to assembly than any Toyota. Read a little bit about the Tahara assembly plant, and it will help become obvious how nobody in the industry can seem to beat Lexus quality statistics.

The ES and RX do share a FWD powertrain with the Toyota Avalon, but in the case of the ES it is very far from the kind of badge job you'd see on an Escalade vs. a Tahoe for example. The entire car is reworked, they drive completely differently, and there are obvious fundamental quality improvements in the Lexus.

Where you do get more overlap is in the GX (Prado) and LX (Land Cruiser), and that is a huge plus. Toyota has a lot of good expertise in that area. A Land Cruiser is immensely more capable, and tougher, than any of the X5 / Q7 trophy wife mobiles and Lexus adds a lot of luxury there. You also get overlap in the CT to share Toyota hybrid technology and to keep the entry cost lower. It's not like the parts that are shared come from a low quality, undependable make like Volkswagen (Audi).
      Last edited by ssaffioti; 01-11-2015 at 09:39 PM.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      01-11-2015 09:38 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by ssaffioti View Post
      The "Lexus is a fancy Toyota" thing is really getting old. An Audi is just a fancy VW, right? (A3 vs Golf)

The IS, GS, LS have nothing in common with any Toyota whatsoever. They don't share a platform, they don't share engines, and they are built to much higher quality requirements from paint to assembly than any Toyota. Read a little bit about the Tahara assembly plant, and it will help become obvious how nobody in the industry can seem to beat Lexus quality statistics.

The ES and RX do share a FWD powertrain with the Toyota Avalon, but in the case of the ES it is very far from the kind of badge job you'd see on an Escalade vs. a Tahoe for example. The entire car is reworked, they drive completely differently, and there are obvious fundamental quality improvements in the Lexus.

Where you do get more overlap is in the GX (Prado) and LX (Land Cruiser), and that is a huge plus. A Land Cruiser is immensely more capable, and tougher, than any of the X5 / Q7 trophy wife mobiles and Lexus adds a lot of luxury there. You also get overlap in the CT to share Toyota hybrid technology and to keep the entry cost lower. It's not like the parts that are shared come from a low quality, undependable make like Volkswagen (Audi).

01-11-2015 09:39 PM #33
      Dafuq? This is a thing?

1992 called...

34. Member
      Vehicles
      01-11-2015 09:42 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by kharma View Post
      Dafuq? This is a thing?

1992 called...

I feel like that commercial was yesterday!

Vehicles
      01-11-2015 10:10 PM #35
      And here I thought words like "panel gap", "fit and finish", and "build quality" were common terms when talking up premium German cars over their non-German competition.
      Buy the car you like. If you have a boner for panel gap, then go for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast