Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Top Gear

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      01-18-2015 05:58 PM #1

Web special, hour-long preview of Series 22.

Footage starts around 6:40 into the clip below. Includes a bit of discussion about their visit to Australia which will feature in Series 22. BBC Knowledge will have eps in HD pretty close to real time by the sounds of things; for those of us with Foxtel.

I've been a bit ho hum about TG recently but this series looks pretty good, although I haven't bothered to watch the Patagonia special yet. Any good?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      None
      01-18-2015 07:44 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Lima View Post
      close to real time by the sounds of things; for those of us with Foxtel.
      Or in actual real time for anyone with an internet connection

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      01-18-2015 11:16 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Salacious B. Crumb View Post
      Or in actual real time for anyone with an internet connection
      Fully standert bro (ie. legally)?

They gave that indication in the web special, that the episodes would be simulcast, but I assumed it would be via their broadcast partners and have been too lazy to check the guide for BBC Knowledge to confirm.

Would be cool if the eps were streamed live by the BBC.

Vehicles
      MY08 WRX (SGP) Mk II GTI (AUS)
      01-18-2015 11:35 PM #4
      They have been for years!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      None
      01-19-2015 12:37 AM #5

How do you think most of us watched the F1 when it was/is kinda still on the BBC?

Choice encourages the use of VPN's - http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and...geoblocks.aspx

6. 01-19-2015 12:38 AM #6
      Hiya,

Thanks for the response.

I'm reusing my old program so I probably won;t get any help from my clinic.

I'm in western Australia if that helps.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      None
      01-19-2015 12:39 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by cadylu View Post
      Hiya,

Thanks for the response.

I'm reusing my old program so I probably won;t get any help from my clinic.

I'm in western Australia if that helps.
      ok.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      01-19-2015 12:44 AM #8
      Hopefully I'll catch onto the 21st century before it is over.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      None
      01-19-2015 01:23 AM #9
      Hopefully I'll catch onto the 21st century before it is over.
      It's not too late, the PC master race is always accepting converts.

01-19-2015 04:57 AM #10
      , although I haven't bothered to watch the Patagonia special yet. Any good?
      There were a few funny bits, quite a lot of made up bits of them driving in woods and on beaches. The final hurried exit looked proper terrifying.

The bit I enjoyed the most was May waxing lyrical about his mid engined Lotus and all the benefits of it being mid engined and then....
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stubby, Esq. View Post
      buy both, save time.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      None
      02-05-2015 07:43 AM #11
      Dan's on this weekends ep of Top Gear

I'll pretend to be surprised when I see the time.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      02-05-2015 06:37 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by sweatyworker View Post
      The bit I enjoyed the most was May waxing lyrical about his mid engined Lotus and all the benefits of it being mid engined and then....

Yep, am up to speed now.

The Australia ep was pretty good. That looked proper fun when they were flogging Dianne's ute on the open cut mine hillclimb!

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      02-16-2015 04:23 AM #13
      Seriously, how fking hot is Margot Robbie.

14. Senior Member
      02-16-2015 05:16 AM #14
      So I subscribe to Foxtel and still don't get Top Gear.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bookie View Post
      gt2 is a luxury car, yes.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      02-16-2015 05:46 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by WAY View Post
      So I subscribe to Foxtel and still don't get Top Gear.
      That'll be another $25 thanks Wayne!

I was paying $84/month to get what you're getting now (basic + sport + HD).

When they rejigged the pricing I was planning to sign a new contract at the reduced rate, but the bastards gave me all the channels except Box Sets and movies for the same price I was paying. For now, it's good for Top Gear and one or two other shows I like to watch. The trouble is, I could probably drop back during the footy season, but if I want those channels back I won't get the same deal I have now.
      Last edited by Lima; 02-16-2015 at 05:50 PM.

16. Senior Member
      02-17-2015 01:42 AM #16
      That'll be another $25 thanks Wayne!

I was paying $84/month to get what you're getting now (basic + sport + HD).

When they rejigged the pricing I was planning to sign a new contract at the reduced rate, but the bastards gave me all the channels except Box Sets and movies for the same price I was paying. For now, it's good for Top Gear and one or two other shows I like to watch. The trouble is, I could probably drop back during the footy season, but if I want those channels back I won't get the same deal I have now.
      I will not pay those b@stards another cent. Already as it is I'll only watch F1...

17. Senior Member
      02-24-2015 06:36 AM #17
      Seriously, how fking hot is Margot Robbie.
      I thought Will Smith stole the show there. Which he normally does.

Anyway, you guys reckon Top Gear is gonna be able to get the 3 hypercars together?

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      02-24-2015 08:01 AM #18
      Typically stupid, of course, but that piece on Peugeot in Ep5 made me lol.

19. Member
      02-24-2015 11:21 AM #19
      Ahhh.. Ferrari you cheating chickensh!t kunts.. I don't know why motoring journalists even bother giving them the time of day.

Still relevant... http://jalopnik.com/5760248/how-ferrari-spins
      Last edited by dkr; 02-24-2015 at 11:30 AM.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      None
      02-24-2015 07:06 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by dkr View Post
      I don't know why motoring journalists even bother giving them the time of day.

Still relevant... http://jalopnik.com/5760248/how-ferrari-spins

ok.

21. Senior Member
      02-25-2015 01:55 AM #21
      I don't get it. What does the Williams Renault have anything to do with Ferrari's silly control of the press.

Btw I thought the Peugeot piece was the worst I've seen all season.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      None
      02-25-2015 03:03 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by WAY View Post
      I don't get it. What does the Williams Renault have anything to do with Ferrari's silly control of the press.

Btw I thought the Peugeot piece was the worst I've seen all season.
      Well I was going to explain why it was a facile argument (ie Mclaren also had their rules and reservations) and then comment on the linked article that has all but been retracted by its author.. but then realised having a dig at the Williams for no good reason in reply would entertain me more.

Vehicles
      vw and merc white pos
      03-10-2015 02:25 PM #23
      oops

BBC statement on Jeremy Clarkson/Top Gear
      Date: 10.03.2015 Last updated: 10.03.2015 at 16.42

The BBC has today released the following statement regarding Jeremy Clarkson/Top Gear.

Following a fracas with a BBC producer, Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended pending an investigation. No one else has been suspended. Top Gear will not be broadcast this Sunday. The BBC will be making no further comment at this time.
      Yeah I'm a Volvo driver

Vehicles
      03-11-2015 02:07 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Zorg2 View Post
      The BBC will be making no further comment at this time.
      The Mirror, however, is happy to comment further! http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/j...er-top-5309060

03-11-2015 02:28 AM #25
      Past his use-by date. Funny 10 years ago, now just a dated, arrogant pr!ck. bye bye, Jezza...don't slam the door on your way out.

Vehicles
      vw and merc white pos
      03-12-2015 04:30 PM #26
      Give chris Harris the job see chris Evans has knocked it back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yeah I'm a Volvo driver

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      03-24-2015 08:34 AM #27

Vehicles
      vw and merc white pos
      03-24-2015 05:56 PM #28
      Great article Liam be interesting to see what happens half of me hopes it comes back but has JC finally done his time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yeah I'm a Volvo driver

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      03-24-2015 07:21 PM #29

Vehicles
      03-24-2015 11:52 PM #30
      That's gonna cost the BBC a lot of money if it's true.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      03-25-2015 10:56 AM #31
      It's true…

BBC Director-General's statement regarding Jeremy Clarkson
      Date: 25.03.2015 Last updated: 25.03.2015 at 14.00
      Category: BBC Two; Factual; Corporate

Tony Hall, the BBC Director-General, has today released the following statement regarding Jeremy Clarkson.

It is with great regret that I have told Jeremy Clarkson today that the BBC will not be renewing his contract. It is not a decision I have taken lightly. I have done so only after a very careful consideration of the facts and after personally meeting both Jeremy and Oisin Tymon.

I am grateful to Ken MacQuarrie for the thorough way he has conducted an investigation of the incident on 4th March. Given the obvious and very genuine public interest in this I am publishing the findings of his report. I take no pleasure in doing so. I am only making them public so people can better understand the background. I know how popular the programme is and I also know that this decision will divide opinion. The main facts are not disputed by those involved.

I want to make three points.

First – The BBC is a broad church. Our strength in many ways lies in that diversity. We need distinctive and different voices but they cannot come at any price. Common to all at the BBC have to be standards of decency and respect. I cannot condone what has happened on this occasion. A member of staff – who is a completely innocent party – took himself to Accident and Emergency after a physical altercation accompanied by sustained and prolonged verbal abuse of an extreme nature. For me a line has been crossed. There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations.

Second – This has obviously been difficult for everyone involved but in particular for Oisin. I want to make clear that no blame attaches to him for this incident. He has behaved with huge integrity throughout. As a senior producer at the BBC he will continue to have an important role within the organisation in the future.

Third – Obviously none of us wanted to find ourselves in this position. This decision should in no way detract from the extraordinary contribution that Jeremy Clarkson has made to the BBC. I have always personally been a great fan of his work and Top Gear. Jeremy is a huge talent. He may be leaving the BBC but I am sure he will continue to entertain, challenge and amuse audiences for many years to come.

The BBC must now look to renew Top Gear for 2016. This will be a big challenge and there is no point in pretending otherwise. I have asked Kim Shillinglaw to look at how best we might take this forward over the coming months. I have also asked her to look at how we put out the last programmes in the current series.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      03-25-2015 11:00 AM #32
      Investigation findings – Ken MacQuarrie

On 9 March 2015, Jeremy Clarkson reported to BBC management that he had been involved in a physical and verbal incident with Oisin Tymon, the producer of Top Gear, at the Simonstone Hall Hotel, North Yorkshire, whilst working on location. The incident had occurred on 4 March 2015 and Jeremy Clarkson was suspended on 10 March, pending investigation.

I was asked to undertake an investigation to establish the facts of what occurred. In conducting my investigation, in line with the BBC’s usual practice, I interviewed a number of witnesses and others connected with the incident. Accounts were agreed, based on my interviews, with each participant.

Having conducted these interviews and considered the evidence presented, I conclude the following: on 4 March 2015 Oisin Tymon was subject to an unprovoked physical and verbal attack by Jeremy Clarkson. During the physical attack Oisin Tymon was struck, resulting in swelling and bleeding to his lip. The verbal abuse was sustained over a longer period, both at the time of the physical attack and subsequently.

Specific facts I have found as part of my investigation are as follows:

• earlier on 4 March, studio recording of Top Gear had taken place in Surrey and the presenters had travelled that same evening to the location shoot in North Yorkshire;
      • the physical attack lasted around 30 seconds and was halted by the intervention of a witness;
      • it is the case that Oisin Tymon offered no retaliation;
      • the verbal abuse was directed at Oisin Tymon on more than one occasion – both during the attack and subsequently inside the hotel – and contained the strongest expletives and threats to sack him. The abuse was at such volume as to be heard in the dining room, and the shouting was audible in a hotel bedroom;
      • derogatory and abusive language, relating to Oisin Tymon and other members of the Top Gear team, continued to be used by Jeremy Clarkson inside the hotel, in the presence of others, for a sustained period of time;
      • it is clear that Oisin Tymon was shocked and distressed by the incident, and believed that he had lost his job;
      • following the attack, I understand that Oisin Tymon drove to a nearby A&E department for examination;
      • over the subsequent days, Jeremy Clarkson made a number of attempts to apologise to Oisin Tymon by way of text, email and in person; and
      • it is the case that Jeremy Clarkson reported the incident to BBC management.

It was not disputed by Jeremy Clarkson or any witness that Oisin Tymon was the victim of an unprovoked physical and verbal attack. It is also clear to me that Oisin Tymon is an important creative member of the Top Gear team who is well-valued and respected. He has suffered significant personal distress as a result of this incident, through no fault of his own.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      None
      03-25-2015 02:08 PM #33
      Quiet now.. no more tears, only dreams.

Vehicles
      vw and merc white pos
      03-25-2015 03:20 PM #34
      lol that was quick. From what James was saying can't see them continuing without him.. Can't see Chris Evans working. Why not chuck in Sabine or VBH?, or Tiff? Don't know if Harris Monkey is enough of an entertainer. Brian Johnson would be good but getting too old I guess.

No truth in the rumour that JC will make peace with Tiff and go to 5th Gear? What happened to JP on the new eps?
      Yeah I'm a Volvo driver

03-25-2015 03:39 PM #35
      I imagine he'll lie low for a while, write a tell all memoir, do a few rounds of chat shows and make a comeback in 2016. Do you think he'll keep his newspaper column gigs?

As far as Top Gear itself it should die now, or be euthanised rather. Maybe they could continue to make xmas specials and DVD specials but otherwise it's time to go.
      Last edited by sweatyworker; 03-25-2015 at 03:42 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stubby, Esq. View Post
      buy both, save time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast