Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Kalashinkov USA

01-21-2015 12:57 PM #1
      Interesting development:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/20/news...usa/index.html

An American gun company has found a way around the anti-Russia sanctions that have banned imports of the Kalashnikov assault rifle: Make them here, in the U.S.A.

The U.S.-made gun will have same name as the original: AK-47, arguably the most ubiquitous assault rifle in the world.

The gun will be made by American company RWC, which is the official importer and distributor of Kalashnikov AK-47s. The company had to stop importing the guns after the U.S. imposed sanctions in July against Russia for its role in the Ukraine crisis.

RWC said it is not permitted to have any contact with the Russian company, Kalashnikov Concern, which makes the AK-47s.

"We are not permitted to pick up the phone and to talk to them," said Thomas McCrossin, CEO of RWC, which owns the Kalashnikov USA brand. "We were forced to stop doing business with them because of the sanctions."

RWC, based in Tullytown, Pa., has the rights to the AK-47 Kalashnikov brand of guns, which has been produced in the Soviet Union after World War II.

It is arguably one of the most famous firearm brands in the world. The original AK-47s are made by the 200-year-old Russian company, but it is one of the most copied assault rifles in the world with knock-offs made all over the globe, including China, Europe and the U.S.
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      01-22-2015 04:51 PM #2
      This was discussed in the SHOT Show thread... I'm not betting on seeing anything. EVER. Sounds like vaporware to me.

3. 01-22-2015 05:12 PM #3
      It's debatable, and I'm not sure how they'd put it together without tying it in anyway to the actual Kalashnikov company.

That being said, the rights to produce the AK have always been in question, so there would be very little stopping a U.S. company from simply producing the rifle outright. If it does happen I'd love to see what gets produced.

4. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      01-22-2015 10:48 PM #4
      This is just more proof that private industry is smarter than politicians.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

Vehicles
      00' BMW 528i
      01-23-2015 08:27 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Obin Robinson View Post
      This is just more proof that private industry is smarter than politicians.

obin

I'll agree with you, once the first US made Kalashnikov branded AK hits gun stores. However I don't see this one getting by the appropriate Fed agencies any time soon.
      Build model cars? Race RC cars? Check out Central Ohio's best hobby shop

6. 01-28-2015 06:53 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by ErikGTI View Post
      I'll agree with you, once the first US made Kalashnikov branded AK hits gun stores. However I don't see this one getting by the appropriate Fed agencies any time soon.
      Under what grounds?

its just branding.. if the firearms meet all current laws I can't see there being a issue.

I'm sure the money trail between Kalishnikov RU and US is separate to avoid current sanctions.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      01-28-2015 07:38 PM #7
      Without plans, parts, or input from Russia these are Kalashnikovs in name only. The US company can literally have no connection with the Russian company.

8. 03-17-2015 07:39 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      Without plans, parts, or input from Russia these are Kalashnikovs in name only. The US company can literally have no connection with the Russian company.

This is the most important statement in the thread. This is a marketing play, intended to capitalize on the name Kalashnikov, while not actually having any real connection to Molot, the Vyatskie Polyany machine plant, Izhmash, or any other part of Kalashnikov Concern. In other words, any AK you buy from those guys will be no different in heritage than the recent US AK's made by Century or the soon-to-be-released Palmetto State AK (which I can only guess will be called a "PSAK", to go along with their PTAC line ). I like the idea of having more options to choose from, but spending the last few years on AK boards has turned me into a snob. Only Bulgarian and "real" Russian for me (and a few Yugos).

Although I rarely recommend panic buying, if anyone's interested in owning any of the older Saiga SGL models, now would be a good time to buy. Firearm prices in general are depressed, and with VEPRS trickling in, it seems like some of the upward pressure on SGL pricing has decreased. $1k for an SGL-21 or SGL-26 is a decent deal.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      04-08-2015 04:14 PM #9
      http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...our-questions/
      Kalashnikov and the USA TFB Reader Fracsid and Steve ask: What is the relationship between Kalashnikov USA and Kalashnikov Concern?

The fact of the matter is that RWC company for several years has been the exclusive distributor of Kalashnikovs in the United States. After the imposition of sanctions the business of importing Russian-made weapons manufactured by the Concern was suspended. To date, because of the imposed sanctions, the company has no rights to continue to cooperate, and even to contact representatives of Kalashnikov Concern. These measures only cause regret and impact primarily American consumers. The contract with RWC signed in January 2014 for 5 years outlined delivery of up to 200,000 weapons per year. It is clear that RWC is interested in maintaining the US market share; that is why they filed an application for trademark registration. Previously, the company announced independent production of Kalashnikov assault rifles in the United States. It was also reported that they established a “Kalashnikov US” corporation. The decision to create “Kalashnikov US” and begin production of Kalashnikov assault rifles in the United States was made by RWC independently. There was no consulting between RWC and Kalashnikov Concern. For further action on the part of the Kalashnikov Group, including on the issue of similarity of the brand names, consultations are underway with lawyers and experts in the field of international law aimed at analyzing and monitoring the situation. The situation is complicated by the fact that the rights to produce Kalashnikov rifles were issued to a number of countries, including the United States, in the 1970s, and by the elapse of time they have lost their validity. Since the 1990s the issue of protection of intellectual property and the trademark of Kalashnikov was not dealt with, and as the result, the brand found itself in a catastrophic situation from a legal point of view. At the moment, we have started the process of trademark protection, but it is a long process intertwined with numerous litigations. In the US, the trademark had not been registered, and due to the anti-Russian sanctions, the process of registration in the United States was suspended. It is worth noting that a similar situation exists around the American machine gun AR15, better known as M16, which is used as common stock by the US Army. The license to manufacture this rifle was issued to a number of countries, and despite the fact that it expired, it is still being produced in over 30 countries around the world. These issues are difficult to overcome, and one of the tools is the production of innovative products, which will be drastically different from competitors. Our company is already actively working on modernizing the line of produced weapons. Cooperation with RWC, as mentioned above, as well as any business negotiations are currently impossible due to the sanctions.

TFB Readers David & Gary ask: Does Kalashnikov Concern/ Kalashnikov USA plan on manufacturing the AK-12, PKM, Bizon or MP-446 Viking in the USA?

We are not planning it; due to the sanctions it is impossible. Although, if the sanctions were not the issue, it would be very relevant, since we know that many consumers in the US would be interested in such products. For example, in the new handgun, which Kalashnikov Concern is preparing to produce. In May, we will be able to reveal photos of our new product specially for The Firearm Blog.

10. 04-08-2015 10:30 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post

RWC: "We liked the name and will therefore use it."

I understand RWC's decision process, but I'm not going to buy any domestically made "Kalashnikovs" unless they're insanely cheap (re: sub $400 for a rifle). Just wait. They probably won't even use chrome lined barrels, and if they do, it will be a "premium" model. I stand by my position that now is a good time to buy an SGL-21/SGL-26 - hell, even a WASR-10 has an authentic CHF chrome lined barrel. I trust PSA to build a better product than I do RWC.