VWVortex.com - 987.2 Aqua Blue Boxster S Build thread **Auto-x | Drag | Road Course **
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 987.2 Aqua Blue Boxster S Build thread **Auto-x | Drag | Road Course **

Vehicles
      '13 BMW 750i, '16 Mustang GT PP, '13 Viper GTS
      01-23-2015 02:13 PM #1
      So this has always been a long time coming for me and the misses, I was actually shopping for 997 turbos a year or so ago but just couldn't swing a 997.2, and didn't want to "settle" for a mark 1. This all started with me test driving a 987.1 cayman S years back, and thinking, waow, this is how a car should handle. Spry is the word I'd use, razor sharp turn-in and steering feel, poise, balance, and just overall feel of quality throughout. I remember doing "emergency" lane changes on an open road to see if I could upset the car and it was just shocking how stable it was in transition. It was however, quite anemic in the straight line department (I grew up drag racing, and still love to hit the drag strip often). Since then, I have been Porsche enthusiast, and knew one day I'd have one as either a daily, or track rat.

So fast forward to 2 months ago; I had been looking at a 6spd Aqua blue 987.2 BS with tan interior at a local dealer which had been sitting in their showroom for more than a month. I kept opening the car up online and day dreaming when I'd get a moment at the office, thinking about how I'd always wanted a mid engine car, and how it'd be fun to have a convertible. My current daily driver has been getting old in the tooth, and one rainy Saturday morning I decided, aw hell, I'll go take a "look". We arrive at the dealer, and to our surprise there are 2 Aqua blue BS's sitting in the showroom, one with black interior and PDK, and the tan interior variant (which is what I had come to see). I looked over the tan interior vert and It was just a little rougher than what I wanted. Pealing switches, a few dents here and there, some deep scratches, curb rash, etc. Then, the gf, who is sitting in the black interior BS, exclaims, "this is nice!". "Yeah, its a porsche", was my reply. So seeing as I was no longer interested in the other one, we decided to take the PDK variant out for a spin. The rest, as they, was history. The car definitely was down some torque on our Z but made up for it with a glorious flat 6 wail and lightning quick shifts from the PDK box. She also loved the way it handled and how heavy and linear the steering feel was. Said she couldn't wait to get it out on to the the track. So we ended up trading her 370Z for it on spot. Can't wait to get it out on the road course. I think we will sign up for the next COTA or TWS track day, and fill in the spots between with some drag strip passes (Its in my nature!) and SCCA trips.

Our trade-in, bolt-on 370Z;

Looking over the mechanicals at the dealer

On the drive home;

First wash;

Took it the office the following day and enjoyed some open sky;

Us the following day on a little car cruise (one of my buddies shot a nice rolling shot).

One of the first things I noticed on the test drive was a vibration at freeway speeds from the steering wheel and some very noisy brakes in the last few mph before a stop. I knew there had to be a wheel balance issue, so I had all 4 wheel/tire assemblies removed and rebalanced. I also took the opportunity to inspect the brakes, under-body, and suspension components, for any irregular wear or abuse. All the bushings in the tie rods, control arms, ball joints, etc, seemed fine, and there seemed to be plenty of rotor and pad life. From what I've read on the porsche boards, it seems that the noisy pads are here to stay. Shame, as I really don't want to move to a ceramic pad.

I also had the mounting pad on the wheel and hub surface wire wheeled to remove any surface rust and ensure flush mating between the components.

I left the shop and realized fairly quickly that the vibration was still present. I watched the tech balance the assemblies like a hawk, and even provided (what i thought be ) very valuable instruction. When I was younger, I worked at discount tire balancing and mounting assemblies for 12hrs/day. I can still do this stuff in my sleep. So, seeing as I had checked the suspension, I was perplexed. This issue had all the tell tale signs of an unbalanced rotational mass (a nasty resonance appearing at certain velocities). So i decided that maybe the balancer the tech used was out of calibration and I took the car to a local discount tire to have the front two assemblies re-balanced again. They were spun up, shown to be off balance by an oz or so (per their machine), and re-balanced yet again. Whew, finally got it. I was on my way yet again. Soon as i get on the freeway, I notice that although reduced, the vibration is still prevalent. At this point, 3 additional grey hairs appear. I turn around, head back to discount, and have the techs break the beads of both front tires, spin them 180* degrees relative to their position on the wheel, and balance them again. Sometimes tires are out of round, and need to be moved relative to the wheel to reduce needed balance weight. As they were balancing these assemblies this time, I finally noticed (something that I really should have noticed before) that the front right wheel had a very slight woble to it on the balancer. I really didn't think that such a slight bend would case any vibration but I guess I was wrong. I thanked the techs for their time yet again, and left the facility only to feel the vibes return on the freeway. Oh well, at least we know its a bent wheel (i hope!). Anyone got a spare Carrera S II front wheel laying around?

Next I moved to an issue with the top. I had noticed after washing the car for the first time, the top sometimes did not slide underneath that plastic guide upon closing. I have noticed that if i stop the operation mid-way for a split second, and kind of let the material settle, instead of it closing all in one motion, that it helps to ensure it seals properly. I havent had time to tear into the mechanism, but I did see this as common problem on the forums and looked at the schematics to do the adjustments on the cables keeping the top taut.

Another thing I noticed when finally getting the car out into the sun, is the abysmal care that the previous owner took of the paint. Now certainly, not everyone is a nut-job like me and takes 3hrs to wash a car with 2 bucket method and then blow dry it, but still. RIDS everywhere, holograming, swirls, scuffs, you name it. The only good thing was that there was a clear bra covering the front bumper, 1/4 fenders, and hood. While it was also trash (swirled to pieces), it was good to know that the paint underneath was probably well protected. There was also no deep scratches, and this gave me confidence that the car would be properly sorted with a little bit of TLC.

I turned to my friends over at Clarity Auto Detail to help sort me out. They have done many cars for me in the past, and I have always received great work for reasonable money.

I decided on the following treatment;

-Decontamination wash with iron-x
      -Clay bar
      -PDR repair a few small dents on the hood, fenders, door
      -2 Stage color correction
      -Cquartz UK ceramic sealant
      -Hydro2 Sealant for the wheels
      -XPEL Ultimate clear bra to replace the worn 3M version
      --Hood
      --Bumper
      --Fenders
      --Headlights
      --LED DRLs
      --Mirrors
      --Rear Fenders

Basically, I wanted the car to come out better than new, and reverse the previous owners neglect.

Starting condition, look at those swirls on the hood and clear bra! Makes me sick.

Removing the old factory bra behind the vents. The new XPEL was custom cut to cover a much larger area there, and stretches all the way from the vent to the fender-well.

Color correction complete, starting on PDR (paintless dent repair). You can see the dents illuminated by the tape markers.

Completed product in the clean room

Vehicles
      01-23-2015 02:14 PM #2
      And these are my pics from when I picked her up. I was beyond happy, she looked gorgeous, like a wet mirror. The Aqua Blue is just such a stunning color, and now I can admire it in the sun without wanting to gouge my eyes out. The new XPEL clear bra is completely invisible from the front as well (you can see the cut-out in the macro shot of the porsche badge), i was very pleased.

Vehicles
      01-23-2015 02:15 PM #3
      Since the paint was sorted, I moved to the inside and did some ricer mods . The previous owner had put some hideous rubber weathertech mats on the floor, so those were promptly replaced with a set of OEM mats from Suncoast.

I also hated the way the yellow incandescent license plate lights looked against the pretty LED tails so ordered and installed some ZIZA LED bulbs. Looks much more modern in my opinion.

Ziza on left, OEM on right.

Both installed.

A little darker

Vehicles
      01-23-2015 02:16 PM #4
      Car got dirty last week and I didnt have time to wash it myself before the weekend (and good weather had come finally!). So I snuck into Clarity on my lunch break and got a quick maintenance wash. With the CQuartz sealant its just a pleasure to wash the car, everything pretty much just comes off in the rinse.

A quick blow-dry and I was on my way!

Vehicles
      01-23-2015 02:17 PM #5
      So I got the options list, paid $10 to Suncoast and they sent me the info.

A huge thanks to some porsche forum members for offering it up to me for free, but I received that offer a few minutes after I had purchased the VIN Decoder.

So here are the options on the car, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what options were hidden under the "762 launch code" cars? I knew these were dealer showrooms demos that were sent fairly loaded up to lure in potential buyers, but I would like a break down of the options in that code. Things like a full alcantara suede wheel, PSE, sport chrono, etc are missing from the list but are obviously on the car. I also didn't know that you can have Sport Chrono, and not have the clock on the dash. The car has the "Sport Plus" button, and most definitely has Launch control, so that means it has Sport Chrono correct?

Vehicles
      UberBlack
      01-23-2015 02:19 PM #6
      You're the ****ing man and your girlfriend is a major babe.

Vehicles
      2.15678L 16V ABA, SN 95 Mustang V8, 2013 Frontier V6
      01-23-2015 02:22 PM #7
      Wow, car came out looking like a whole different one.
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Banging a hooker will make the wasps go away? I'm off to find a bee's nest. BRB.
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      You mean CalDeRoo?

Vehicles
      Mr2, 951, NA6
      01-23-2015 02:34 PM #8
      these cars are really becoming reasonable. what class are they in for street? BS? AS? do they have an ST* classing yet? a newer boxster S in an ST* (X or U probably) class might be pretty excellent
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX View Post
      In their unquenchable thirst for world domination, the aristocrats tax peoples time so as to keep its cattle viewed populations forever in servitude. They have gone as far as brainwashing and banning the western world that marrying your first cousin is forbidden and results in retardation... and thus have disturbed human evolutionary densities because broken families are easier to control and will better fall into debt slavery.

Vehicles
      e-Golf + Boxster
      01-23-2015 02:37 PM #9
      Nice upgrade, man. 987's are ridiculously fun
      Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 4/29]

Vehicles
      16 GTI 6MT SE w/ LP, PP and DCC
      01-23-2015 02:41 PM #10
      Beautiful!

What a difference a good detail job can make.

What is the maintenance like on the PDK? 40k fluid change like DSG?

Vehicles
      Honda Fanboy Collection
      01-23-2015 02:47 PM #11
      i love the color. serious job on the detail too...those guys deserve a bonus for how nicely it came out.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

12. Member
      Vehicles
      14 Toyota 4Runner, 96 Lexus LX450
      01-23-2015 03:07 PM #12
      How much does a full detail like that go for? In speaking with some local guys who do it, I've been quoted around $500 . . .

Vehicles
      01-23-2015 03:26 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      You're the ****ing man and your girlfriend is a major babe.
      Thank you! I'm lucky to have her.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Windy View Post
      Wow, car came out looking like a whole different one.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      these cars are really becoming reasonable. what class are they in for street? BS? AS? do they have an ST* classing yet? a newer boxster S in an ST* (X or U probably) class might be pretty excellent
      I've got springs and spacers coming for the car currently to get it sitting right, and from my understanding as soon as you start touching suspension you're in the ST class. Or at least that's where we were placed in our 370Z.

Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      Nice upgrade, man. 987's are ridiculously fun
      Its a wonderful car, very refined in certain aspects as compared with the Z. The number one thing I notice from a NVH standpoint is how quiet the car is inside for a convertible. I literally forget that its not a coupe sometimes, its way quieter than the Z was at freeway speeds. They did a great job with whatever acoustic insulating they did on that soft top.

Quote Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
      Beautiful!

What a difference a good detail job can make.

What is the maintenance like on the PDK? 40k fluid change like DSG?
      That's a good question, I haven't looked into it (the car only has 25k on it currently).

Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      i love the color. serious job on the detail too...those guys deserve a bonus for how nicely it came out.
      Yeah these guys know their stuff and take the time to do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by BltByKrmn View Post
      How much does a full detail like that go for? In speaking with some local guys who do it, I've been quoted around $500 . . .
      They are extremely reasonable as compared with some of the other big name shops in the area. The paintwork is around $500-1000 depending on vehicle and paint condition. XPEL was around $700 for the kit.

Vehicles
      Mr2, 951, NA6
      01-23-2015 03:29 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by slowhatch View Post
      I've got springs and spacers coming for the car currently to get it sitting right, and from my understanding as soon as you start touching suspension you're in the ST class. Or at least that's where we were placed in our 370Z.
      you can do dampers in Street. once you play with the springs you are in ST*
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX View Post
      In their unquenchable thirst for world domination, the aristocrats tax peoples time so as to keep its cattle viewed populations forever in servitude. They have gone as far as brainwashing and banning the western world that marrying your first cousin is forbidden and results in retardation... and thus have disturbed human evolutionary densities because broken families are easier to control and will better fall into debt slavery.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Z06
      01-23-2015 03:57 PM #15
      I'm sure I speak on behalf of many others here when I say I really appreciate the amount of detail and well thought out processes you put into your cars. What are your plans for upgrades on this one? Great purchase, enjoy the top down days in the Spring/Fall because Houston's humid summer days can make it a miserable experience!
      Former 6-speed cars| 2003 Maxima | 2005 Jetta GLI | 2000 Trans Am | 2002 Camaro Z28

Vehicles
      1996 Porsche 911, 2006 Acura CSX
      01-23-2015 04:10 PM #16
      Nice upgrade! PS i'm jealous that you're not neck deep in snow and ice like we are.

17. 01-23-2015 04:37 PM #17
      Epic renewal.
      --
      2016 Discount Brand S3
      1987 Peugeot PB-18 – Manual Power
      1986 Mid-Engine Supercar

Vehicles
      2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848, 2006 Ducati 999s
      01-23-2015 05:35 PM #18
      Awesome detail! How much can one like yours run, including the clear bra? (I'm thinking $1500).

I was thinking about an older Cayman, but the second gen Boxsters may be a better deal. Yours looks fantastic!

*clicks over to autotrader*

Vehicles
      15 F150, 15 GTI, 16 S1000XR
      01-23-2015 06:04 PM #19

Great choices, car came out amazing.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Chevy Volt, 2006 Porsche Boxster
      01-23-2015 06:50 PM #20
      Love the color. I look forward to seeing it with spacers and a drop, it'll really set it off.

01-23-2015 06:56 PM #21

A huge thanks to some porsche forum members for offering it up to me for free, but I received that offer a few minutes after I had purchased the VIN Decoder.

So here are the options on the car, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what options were hidden under the "762 launch code" cars? I knew these were dealer showrooms demos that were sent fairly loaded up to lure in potential buyers, but I would like a break down of the options in that code. Things like a full alcantara suede wheel, PSE, sport chrono, etc are missing from the list but are obviously on the car. I also didn't know that you can have Sport Chrono, and not have the clock on the dash. The car has the "Sport Plus" button, and most definitely has Launch control, so that means it has Sport Chrono correct?

762 just means the car is pre-configured with popular options (e.g. bluetooth phone prep, Bose, Carerra wheels, navigation etc), in another word, the rest of the options listed. My brother bought his Boxster S that was also a market launch vehicle and has basically the same car, but without PDK.

Vehicles
      17 GTI Sport
      01-23-2015 07:13 PM #22

Nice car

If you don't have the clock on the dash, then you don't have Sport Chrono. I think the 987.2s with PDK got the Sport Plus button as standard but it could have been something the PO added. Same goes with the suede wheel and Sports Exhaust. All that stuff is pretty widely available at dealer parts counters like Suncoast. Maybe the last owner found some stuff he liked that the car didn't come with, and simply added it himself.
      History | C7 Z51 | GT86 | 987.1 | S197 | W126 | EM1 | GVR4

Vehicles
      It varies.
      01-23-2015 08:31 PM #23
      Beautiful car! Porsches aren't really my thing, but that paint looks absolutely incredible.

Vehicles
      01-23-2015 08:37 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by nix6speed View Post
      I'm sure I speak on behalf of many others here when I say I really appreciate the amount of detail and well thought out processes you put into your cars. What are your plans for upgrades on this one? Great purchase, enjoy the top down days in the Spring/Fall because Houston's humid summer days can make it a miserable experience!
      Much appreciated! Yeah you gotta take the good with the bad in the South!

Quote Originally Posted by davidraeside View Post
      Nice upgrade! PS i'm jealous that you're not neck deep in snow and ice like we are.
      Move South!

Quote Originally Posted by spoonie View Post
      Epic renewal.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty_spl View Post
      Awesome detail! How much can one like yours run, including the clear bra? (I'm thinking $1500).

I was thinking about an older Cayman, but the second gen Boxsters may be a better deal. Yours looks fantastic!

*clicks over to autotrader*
      I answered the pricing question above. You sound like me though, everytime i click into someones purchase or build threads I immediately run over to autotrader "hmmm I like this, I wonder how I can get one too..."

Quote Originally Posted by hxrly View Post

Great choices, car came out amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by thedigitel View Post
      Love the color. I look forward to seeing it with spacers and a drop, it'll really set it off.
      Me too, it'll really change the look of the car for me. I'm a huge "aggressive fitment" snob when it comes to wheels and ride height.

Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      762 just means the car is pre-configured with popular options (e.g. bluetooth phone prep, Bose, Carerra wheels, navigation etc), in another word, the rest of the options listed. My brother bought his Boxster S that was also a market launch vehicle and has basically the same car, but without PDK.
      Yeah this I knew, I just wanted to know if there was an actual list of PAG launch options, ie. do they hide the options that are not itemized on my build sheet in that one 762 code? That's the question that no one on the porsche boards can seem to answer. There weren't many cars like this as they typically came about only on body style changes or huge refreshes (a la mk1 to mk2).

Quote Originally Posted by tampaSi View Post
      Nice car

If you don't have the clock on the dash, then you don't have Sport Chrono. I think the 987.2s with PDK got the Sport Plus button as standard but it could have been something the PO added. Same goes with the suede wheel and Sports Exhaust. All that stuff is pretty widely available at dealer parts counters like Suncoast. Maybe the last owner found some stuff he liked that the car didn't come with, and simply added it himself.
      Nope, there are 987.2s that have PDK without sport chrono or sport chrono plus. I have sport chrono 100%, because I have the "sport plus" button and I have launch control on the car (which I've tried once). Most consider the clock to be an eyesore (I'm impartial), and think that I got the best of both worlds somehow.

Vehicles
      01-23-2015 08:45 PM #25
      I did actually look over this other list of options that I have from the VIN decoder and found the sport chrono listed in there. I actually ignored this list at first at seemed to be one of those manufacturer "standard options list" which lists a bunch of nothing, but it seems a few options are hidden in there as well. Still no sight of PSE or that suede steering wheel. Maybe the OP did add all this after the fact at the dealer. Who knows.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast