Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: My new gym

1. 02-24-2015 02:12 PM #1
      As a lot of you know, I was the head coach of a gym up here in NH. After 5 years I left and started my own thing. Not trying to advertize with this thread, but if you're ever in NH feel free to stop by for a workout on the house. Chilledman comes by whenever he is in town. We always have a good time!

Our progress photo booth
      The best forum on the web: www.WLForums.com

02-24-2015 05:41 PM #2
      I'm jealous of ur life

3. 02-25-2015 10:07 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver6 View Post
      I'm jealous of ur life
      lol don't be. Right now I'm working 60+ hours a week, have 8 hours of commuting a week, barely have time to train, and I'm not taking a paycheck yet!

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit
      02-25-2015 10:51 AM #4
      Congrats! I am envious even with all of the work and no paycheck yet.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rub-ISH View Post
      I am now sucessfully motivated to get TED KENEDY levels of Sh!thoused and antagonize the antagonists...kudos

Vehicles
      2014 Focus
      02-25-2015 11:13 AM #5
      Sweet setup! Where's the WOD area?
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
      Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
      Team Possum 2015

02-25-2015 12:34 PM #6
      You're living it dude, it's all worth it. Id love to have a life based all around weightlifting.

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      02-25-2015 01:06 PM #7
      You're living it dude, it's all worth it. Id love to have a life based all around weightlifting.
      Ehhhhh, I'd rather make the money I make, and have the hobbies I have. I feel like it's a lot easier to enjoy things when your livelihood doesn't depend on it.

That said, good looking no BS facility spoolin. I hope you have a legit sound system in there. Out of curiosity, what's the pricing like?

8. Member
      02-25-2015 01:16 PM #8
      Congrats brotha, that is great to be able to follow your passion and actually make it happen.

That being said, and this is legit, are PL geared gyms becoming more like CF boxes or is it the other way around?

9. 02-25-2015 01:53 PM #9
      Yeah, this is only our 6th week doing business. Already have 41 members. So it's going well, and it will pay off in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      Ehhhhh, I'd rather make the money I make, and have the hobbies I have. I feel like it's a lot easier to enjoy things when your livelihood doesn't depend on it.

That said, good looking no BS facility spoolin. I hope you have a legit sound system in there. Out of curiosity, what's the pricing like?
      It's certainly a catch-22. If you want to do what you love, work for someone else. If you want to be a business owner...open a business! There's definitely a difference between being self-employed and being a business owner. Too many people with a technical skill open businesses because they want the freedom to indulge their technical abilities, but then you have so much less time to do that because now you're also a marketing manager, a staff manager, a book keeper, a customer service rep, etc... If you're a business owner you can't spend all your time working IN your business because you need time to work ON your business. My goal is to some day have a fully functioning staff of competent coaches. If your business can't run without you, you don't own a business you own a job.

Pricing right now is $119/month, which is really, really inexpensive for what you get. It's basically a full time open gym concept, and everyone gets their own personalized program, plus there's hands on coaching during specific hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      Congrats brotha, that is great to be able to follow your passion and actually make it happen.

That being said, and this is legit, are PL geared gyms becoming more like CF boxes or is it the other way around?
      I actually don't keep up with the powerlifting world too much anymore, but I will say that raw powerlifting is making a strong come back. CrossFit has also realized that the best way to get better at something is to practice it with some structure, and do boring but important exercises (like rows!). There are still plenty of CrossFit gyms out there that are just throwing people into the exercise blender and hoping for the best, but most of the top CF athletes follow structured strength based training programs. At this point the only thing that makes a gym CrossFit is paying the affiliate dues to have the name over your entry way. All of the relevant gyms have all but abandoned traditional CF methods, while maintaining the benefit of the name association. I have a lot of respect for how CF has evolved and the athletes participating at a high level. I also make a decent amount of money doing private sessions with CrossFit coaches to teach them how to actually snatch and clean & jerk. I even have a coach at a local CF who signed up as a full time member of my gym, if that tells you anything.

Vehicles
      05 S2000, 07 Speed Triple
      02-25-2015 02:32 PM #10
      I've obviously been following along on FB. I'd love to work out there if I could. My two close friends who are coaches want to start team/group environments because they think that's the best way to grow. I certainly think that's more fun. My gym has all the great equipment, but is geared for the individual lifter and by design pushes individual/paired workouts. Most of the gyms I see that attract the big groups and the girls in tights are the CF [insert hardcore name here]. They have the numbers and the environment but not the skill level, expertise or equipment.

So props where props are due. I think you've done a good job of getting good training and good athletes under one roof together. There are really only a few good places like that out there. I don't know if you're aiming to be the next MDUSA or Average Bros, but I think there's definitely a benefit of having a bunch of motivated people under one roof, who actually know what they're doing.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      Z4, Cayenne S
      02-25-2015 07:08 PM #11
      That's a great place!
      Congrats.

Vehicles
      2014 Focus
      02-26-2015 03:19 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      Pricing right now is $119/month, which is really, really inexpensive for what you get. It's basically a full time open gym concept, and everyone gets their own personalized program, plus there's hands on coaching during specific hours.
      That is QUITE a deal!

Trainers at the gym I go to want a car payment on top of the membership.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
      Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
      Team Possum 2015

13. 02-26-2015 07:23 PM #13
      When do the ellipticals arrive?

14. Today 08:22 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by XiaoNio View Post
      I've obviously been following along on FB. I'd love to work out there if I could. My two close friends who are coaches want to start team/group environments because they think that's the best way to grow. I certainly think that's more fun. My gym has all the great equipment, but is geared for the individual lifter and by design pushes individual/paired workouts. Most of the gyms I see that attract the big groups and the girls in tights are the CF [insert hardcore name here]. They have the numbers and the environment but not the skill level, expertise or equipment.

So props where props are due. I think you've done a good job of getting good training and good athletes under one roof together. There are really only a few good places like that out there. I don't know if you're aiming to be the next MDUSA or Average Bros, but I think there's definitely a benefit of having a bunch of motivated people under one roof, who actually know what they're doing.
      I'm not sure if NH is ready for a full time WL gym. Right now there is only one other gym in the state (out near VT) that does open gym personalized programming like I do, but their marketing is geared specifically to weight loss, where I'm definitely a lot more athletic based. It would great to some day be able to focus solely on Weightlifting. But we'll see how it pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
      When do the ellipticals arrive?
      Not soon enough.

Thanks for all the support guys!

Vehicles
      2007 GLI Fahrenheit #430
      Today 12:26 PM #15
      gym - He's doing it right!