VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Here's something for the classic aircraft and VW fans

14K views 52 replies 30 participants last post by  Sold Over Sticker 
#1 ·
While looking for classic DC-8 photos I found this awesome image:

I realized that I've seen those Transporters in a few classic photos so I found some more. Here's a Pan Am B707 photo I was looking for:

Aer Lingus stewardesses catching a ride:

Okay so it's neither a jet nor a Transporter but this was pretty cool Follow Me car for this DC-6:

DC-3 and Beechcraft Baron 55 with a later model Transporter:

Here's a Vickers Viscount and a Transporter:

Convair 440 and a Beetle:

obin :):beer:

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah I've never seen that either! I figured it was an oddball enough that it would merit a post here. I can't find other photos of that same car anywhere else. Here's a similar one:

Here's a later one:

obin :thumbup::thumbup:

#33 ·
I'm glad you enjoy it! It's fun looking for specific cars in these vintage photos.

DC-8 and B707 with some Transporters:

Convair 440 with Transporter:

Convair 440 and DC-9s with Transporter:

Convair 440 and Transporter:

obin :beer::beer:

#15 ·
I'm glad everyone is enjoying these. Here's another DC-8:

This looks like a DC-6:

DC-6 tail in the background. I don't recognize these Transporter/truck variants with the huge front bumpers:

For historical sake I include this Junkers 52 and an airport runabout VW:

Here's a super sexy DC-10 and I spy a VW in the foreground:

747-100 and a Transporter zooming in the foreground:

Here's another 747-100:

Here's a Follow Me Transporter in front of this 747:

#39 ·
Yeah, I wouldn't be that surprised if the A10 pilot flew that thing under the overpass! :laugh: (OK, I'd actually be stunned, but if any military flier were to do it, it'd be in an A10!)

I honestly don't know nearly the amount of VW facts that you do but I appreciate the cool vintage photos of them. I am wondering if the modification for that Follow Me car is an aftermarket item or was it a factory option? It looks like a really clean modification so I'm wondering if VW themselves made these as special cars? Or do you think that there was a custom coachbuilder that maybe just did the bodies? I don't know but I'd like to find out. Compared to regular airport runabouts these VWs look to be purpose made for the job of being a Follow Me car.

obin :beer::beer:
I missed this earlier. (Dammit!)

I doubt it was VW who did that. There were quite a few coachbuilders who built cars such as the emergency services Päpler-Hebmüller Feuerwagen and 4-door Beetle taxi, so I'd think it was something like that. German coachbuilders were pretty exacting.

Here's a taxi to give you an idea as to how well finished some of those kinds of things were:

The rear doors were made from Transporter side doors, the front doors were shortened and the wheelbase was extended the appropriate amount. They're (obviously) very well crafted. :thumbup:

And a much more basic emergency vehicle.

canvas door version:

metal door version:

Hey, it was just after the war and municipalities probably had very little money!

#31 ·
Me too! No problem. Here's some more:

DC-9-33 with a Transporter towing some GSE:

MD-11 with a Follow Me transporter and another Transporter for ground crew:

747 with two Transporters:

#34 ·
Convair 440:

Here's a DC-9 with a Transporter:

Here's a Transporter converted into a mobile air traffic control tower:

Apparently the Transporter used to be a very popular vehicle for the flight line! Here's a bunch of crew shuttles and runabouts:

Sikorsky S-55 and Transporter:

#40 ·
Our first outing with the Michigan Region of the Lincoln and Continental Owners Club was a trip to the Yankee Air Museum. The museum housed a great selection of aircraft in various stages of disrepair, but the worst was the huge hanger it was in. I made mention to the director what a fire trap the place was, and he shrugged it of as, "It's always been that way". Sure enough, tragedy struck and all that history was lost.

The director of the facility suggested we park next to the planes for pictures. What period was the plane from?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.