Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Strange shrill sound - help me find it!!

1. 02-25-2015 03:03 PM #1
      Hi guys and gals,

I'd really appreciate some help with an annoying sound I have from my G60 motor. I have just completed a conversion in to my Mk1 Golf, this is my build thread if anyone is interested http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index....llow-peril-g60

Now the sound was apparent from first start up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlAm3if8bD8

I have traced it to the back of the engine. I have checked the idle screw on the throttle body and also for boost leaks but can't find anything. I've checked the belts for friction noise and the tensioners for dry bearings but everything is new and nothing coming from the belt side of the engine. I have checked the brake servo, no leaks there. I've also had the stethoscope out and nothing coming from the block or head.

The car is running perfectly, idling solid as a rock. I've checked the emissions and they are spot on and AFR is reading fine. As the revs increase the sound diminishes and almost disappears.

Thanks

Rich

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado | '62 Harley Panhead
      02-27-2015 09:49 AM #2
      Really hard to tell from the Video, but sounds like a Bearing.

Pull off serp belt and start to see if noise is still there. If so, pull off v belt too just to check.

My guess it Alt or PowerSteering Pump Bearing. Hopefully it is NOT a charger timer shaft bearing!!
      Build: Project sc2020

My G60 now on MS3 | 4Cyl Torque Plate Rental | 02M Mounts

3. 02-27-2015 10:05 AM #3
      Hi thanks for the response.

I don't have power steering so that's ruled out and the alternator is brand new. Super charger has 0 miles on since rebuild with Matt at Only Charged Dubs.

I guess I could take the belt off just to rule them out.

I'm pretty sure the sound is coming from the back.

Cheers

Rich

4. 03-09-2015 06:27 PM #4
      Ok I have removed the isv and temporarily put a bung on the opening and its not coming from that. I've checked for vacuum leaks but nothing obvious. Double checked the exhaust and all gaskets and nothing there.

Also removed aux belt and sound still there.

The sound stays the same pitch regardless of revs, it doesn't get louder or quieter and actually disappears past 2000rpm.

Vehicles
      90 G60 (since new) 93+VR 13 GTI
      03-10-2015 12:25 PM #5
      Have you pushed in the clutch pedal to eliminate the release bearing?

6. 03-10-2015 12:36 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by mateok View Post
      Have you pushed in the clutch pedal to eliminate the release bearing?

Hi yes tried that. Got my MOT next week so hopefully they might know what it is.