Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Net neutrality passes! Normal people 1, ISPs and Lobbyists, 0

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L
      02-26-2015 05:55 PM #1
      Thank the lord this passed and we don't have to worry about the internet getting strangled by throttling speeds, tiered pricing, and draconian douchebag companies controlling internet access. It was a 3-2 vote and surprise surprise the dissenting voices have plenty of special interest connections to those who didn't want it to pass. Too bad, so sad, go **** yourself!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...y-by-fcc-board

Quote Originally Posted by FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler
      no one — whether government or corporate — should control free open access to the Internet.
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ zero Porsche wheels given

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      "Our editors found that all of these cars are of very good quality and performed similarly, so we recommend all of them, making our review basically worthless." -said no magazine article ever.

Vehicles
      '02 Appliance
      02-26-2015 05:59 PM #2
      I am so glad this happened, I was going to lose most of what little faith I have left in this country if they let the cable *******s get away with this.
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

Vehicles
      DD: Mazda3 O: Explorer | Uncertified Preowned: Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      02-26-2015 06:09 PM #3
      From Comcast/Xfinity PR:

Due to the recent FCC decision, until reversed under appeal, we will be cancelling all service contracts and issuing new contracts to subscribers. The contracts will define the new service options for customers.

Service packages are now re-aligned to fit within the parameters of FCC's decision.

Tier 1 (Entry): 1.5mbps down/up; $39.99/mo.
      Tier 2 (Family-level): 5mbps down/up; $69.99/mo.
      Tier 3 (Gamers/Work@home): 20mbps down/ 10mbps up; $89.99/mo.
      Tier 4 (Professionals): 50mpbs down/ 25mbps up; $149.99/mo.

Tier plans 1-3 have a data cap of 100GB/mo., wherein excess uses Comcast will have to restrict bandwidth to 768kbps until the month expires.
      Tier 4 plans have a data cap of 200GB/mo., wherein excess uses Comcast will have to restrict bandwidth to 1.5mbps until the month expires.

Private modems will not be allowed. Comcast-only modems will be provided for customers at $24.99/mo or $599.99 one-time purchase.

As always, our top-notch service technicians will be available to assist customers on-site for new equipment installations. Scheduling required, and technicians will be arriving between 8:00am and 6:00pm.

Thank you for your business,
      Comcast/Xfinity
      80 people! Do you know how much that is? Two 40s, you son of a b***h!
      Default post options: So, it has come to this. | If you think so. | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | That's what she said. | WTF.
      //// @mbull //// blog //// instagram ////

Vehicles
      2012 CC R-Line CW ::::::::::::::::: 1989 GTI 16v AW ::::::::::::::::: 2003 KLX400SM
      02-26-2015 06:19 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      From Comcast/Xfinity PR:

Due to the recent FCC decision, until reversed under appeal, we will be cancelling all service contracts and issuing new contracts to subscribers. The contracts will define the new service options for customers.

Service packages are now re-aligned to fit within the parameters of FCC's decision.

Tier plans 1-3 have a data cap of 100GB/mo., wherein excess uses Comcast will have to restrict bandwidth to 768kbps until the month expires.
      Tier 4 plans have a data cap of 200GB/mo., wherein excess uses Comcast will have to restrict bandwidth to 1.5mbps until the month expires.

Private modems will not be allowed. Comcast-only modems will be provided for customers at $24.99/mo or $599.99 one-time purchase.

As always, our top-notch service technicians will be available to assist customers on-site for new equipment installations. Scheduling required, and technicians will be arriving between 8:00am and 6:00pm.

Comcast/Xfinity

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze
      02-26-2015 06:38 PM #5
      From Comcast/Xfinity PR:

Comcast/Xfinity
      I'm hoping this isn't real and you put way to much effort into your post...

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Rabbit, 2010 Tiguan S
      02-26-2015 06:38 PM #6
      Sour grapes Comcast. Crossing my fingers Bright House doesn't follow in their footsteps.
      Signature.

Vehicles
      02-26-2015 06:42 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by strskatr05 View Post
      I'm hoping this isn't real and you put way to much effort into your post...

I am a f**king arsehole. I admit it.
      Default post options: So, it has come to this. | If you think so. | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | That's what she said. | WTF.

Vehicles
      2012 CC R-Line CW ::::::::::::::::: 1989 GTI 16v AW ::::::::::::::::: 2003 KLX400SM
      02-26-2015 06:46 PM #8

oh man, thank god. was already on other companies websites pricing out plans.

you are a cruel bastard...haha

02-26-2015 06:51 PM #9

I was clapping and flipping you off simultaneously. It actually kinda hurt my hand...

02-26-2015 06:55 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
      I was clapping and flipping you off simultaneously. It actually kinda hurt my hand...
      I just tried that.

Quote Originally Posted by core5 View Post
      There's a sign spinner outside my office. I can't tell what he's selling.
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Probably not career advice.

11. 02-26-2015 07:04 PM #11
      I really want to know who, without a vested interest in this, as in consumers, would vote against it. Like who fell for those commercials?
      I'm really just here for the pancakes.
      I'm Sorry Hachi... I love you.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      02-26-2015 07:13 PM #12
      So this thing is all rainbows and unicorns without any potential problems or government interference?

Vehicles
      02-26-2015 07:44 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      So this thing is all rainbows and unicorns without any potential problems or government interference?
      Hardly.

It's a win as long as ISPs don't f**k with the consumer. Like that's going to happen (sarcasm). It self-appointed power to "regulate" ISPs to insure they're not throttling FoxNews feeds and pushing HuffPost. That type of stuff.

Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      02-26-2015 07:50 PM #14
      Hardly.

It's a win as long as ISPs don't f**k with the consumer. Like that's going to happen (sarcasm). It self-appointed power to "regulate" ISPs to insure they're not throttling FoxNews feeds and pushing HuffPost. That type of stuff.
      as a gov't employee, I can see that this will all end up well, and nothing will go wrong.

Larry

Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      02-26-2015 07:52 PM #15
      I'm just trying to get the real story... Depending on what website you look at it you've got, "Blargh! Government is using a regulation from 1934! Control!" To, "Everything is wonderful and you're going to get a 1TB connection for $10/month! Rejoice!"

What's the real story?

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze
      02-26-2015 08:02 PM #16

Still going to get FIOS anyway...

Vehicles
      '10 S4 | '91 MR2 Turbo
      02-26-2015 08:09 PM #17

18. 02-26-2015 08:14 PM #18
      What's the real story?
      Like anything else politicized, it's a sea of gray. I think this will result in a degradation from our current state, but less of a degradation than would be seen without it. Does that make you feel better?

The problem is that ISPs have become at best a duopoly, and at worst a monopoly that is vertically integrated with the content provided. The ISPs decided to start effing with things since they now could given the limited competition. So, they get this. This won't give us improved service or lower cost. Best case it stops the ISPs from further growing their monopoly by holding other services like Netflix hostage.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      VR6
      02-26-2015 08:17 PM #19

wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

It's no fun riding lightning bolts without war drums!

Vehicles
      2012 Equinox
      02-26-2015 08:19 PM #20
      I'm just trying to get the real story... Depending on what website you look at it you've got, "Blargh! Government is using a regulation from 1934! Control!" To, "Everything is wonderful and you're going to get a 1TB connection for $10/month! Rejoice!"

What's the real story?
      That's just it, the text of the bill has not been released, so we don't know. It's another "We have to pass it to see what's in it." deal.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      02-26-2015 08:25 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by LangsamKafer View Post
      That's just it, the text of the bill has not been released, so we don't know. It's another "We have to pass it to see what's in it." deal.
      Oh... one of those. Wonderful.

If I like my internet plan, do I get to keep my internet plan?

Vehicles
      1985 Jetta GL 5MT, 1991 Jetta GL 3AT
      02-26-2015 08:25 PM #22
      Insert applause GIF here
      Car Blog
      Flickr
      YouTube
      "If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich." - JFK

Vehicles
      '07 Mini Cooper S, '91 318is Frankenstien With a built eta swap.
      02-26-2015 08:27 PM #23
      The gist, before you get to details is that they've made broadband service a "common carrier". Much like phones have to allow you to send or receive calls from anyone, no matter what company they use.

So, if you buy internet access they have to allow you to go any place on the internet without any throttling or hoops. It prevents something like "That's a nice Netflix you have, it'd be a shame if something happened to it. Buy our netflix bandwidth boost for $10 a month."
      Comcast can't throttle Netflix to extort money from Netflix or you. (It's notable that Comcast already did this to Netflix and basically forced them into paying extra for more reliable access)

There's also some other stuff like making sure municipal broadband is legal. Access to the telephone poles on different terms. The potential for some rate regulation. And the potential for universal service fees similar to how rural electricity and phone were originally provided.

That's not true. The commissioners, who voted, all have access to the full text. It simply isn't published yet. That's because there's a process of sorting out the dissenting opinions.
      Last edited by Robstr; 02-26-2015 at 08:36 PM.
      All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Vehicles
      MKV WOLFSBURG JETTA//MNR M8
      02-26-2015 08:27 PM #24

Holy hell! I'm not even a customer of theirs but I could feel my blood starting to boil as I read that. *golfclap*
      Manhattan//UConn

02-26-2015 08:28 PM #25
      Been reading the comments on CNN's facebook page

• More government regulation...
      • Government will start taxing the internet...
      • More government bureaucracy...

At first I thought I was on Fox New's facebook page. People still don't understand what net neutrality is???

26. 02-26-2015 08:33 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
      I was clapping and fapping off simultaneously. It actually kinda hurt my hand...
      FTFY

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      02-26-2015 08:35 PM #27
      Well, if it's as easy as, "ISPs can't throttle your connection based upon what you're accessing," why wasn't the 300+ page regulation shared with anyone?

In 2007 Senator Obama said (in regards to any FCC plan), "Congress and the public have the right to review any specific proposal and decide whether or not it constitutes sound policy.” That must have fallen through the cracks over the last eight years.

There are definitely two sides to this and I'd like to understand why the government getting involved is a good idea...
      Last edited by NoDubJustYet; 02-26-2015 at 08:55 PM.

Vehicles
      Crosstrek
      02-26-2015 08:50 PM #28
      Now go get your shinebox

29. Member
      02-26-2015 08:56 PM #29
      This....is a thing.

Why is this a thing? Can someone explain to me?
      Quote Originally Posted by butterface View Post
      'You gotta fast car'

30. 02-26-2015 09:05 PM #30
      More curious is that people can have such enthusiasm for something they've not read.

Well, if it's as easy as, "ISPs can't throttle your connection based upon what you're accessing," why wasn't the 300+ page regulation shared with anyone?

In 2007 Senator Obama said (in regards to any FCC plan), "Congress and the public have the right to review any specific proposal and decide whether or not it constitutes sound policy.” That must have fallen through the cracks over the last eight years.

There are definitely two sides to this and I'd like to understand why the government getting involved is a good idea...
      Good questions.

In the 1970s, the federal government had tiers of price controls over domestic oil production. We had gas lines, people waiting in long lines with the hope that a station wouldn't run out by the time they moved up to the pump.

We haven't had gas lines since the federal price control mechanisms were removed, i.e. deregulation.

So having the FCC run ISPs like it ran AT&T back when we all had to rent our telephones and long distance calls were a big deal will make things better?
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT. http://www.npboards.com/index.php

"I am JIMP."

31. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      02-26-2015 09:12 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      More curious is that people can have such enthusiasm for something they've not read.

Good questions.

In the 1970s, the federal government had tiers of price controls over domestic oil production. We had gas lines, people waiting in long lines with the hope that a station wouldn't run out by the time they moved up to the pump.

We haven't had gas lines since the federal price control mechanisms were removed, i.e. deregulation.

So having the FCC run ISPs like it ran AT&T back when we all had to rent our telephones and long distance calls were a big deal will make things better?
      Seems to me the FCC was behind the breakup of Ma Bell.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Vehicles
      00' BMW 528i
      02-26-2015 09:17 PM #32
      Yay useless government regulation! Can't wait until everyone that was for this will be against it in a year or two.
      Build model cars? Race RC cars? Check out Central Ohio's best hobby shop

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '14 Mirage, 2.7 liters total
      02-26-2015 10:35 PM #33
      I'm excited about this bit that passed earlier today:
      http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/26/81...dband-internet

Excerpt:
      Quote Originally Posted by Verge
      the FCC is setting a major precedent for municipal broadband: it's just voted to preempt state laws that were preventing two cities from building out their own locally run broadband networks. The decision was prompted by separate petitions from Wilson, North Carolina, and Chattanooga, Tennessee — both cities that've established high-speed, gigabit internet services, but have been barred from expanding to neighboring communities due to existing state laws. So far, 19 states have similar regulations to those that the FCC is overriding in Wilson and Chattanooga, but today's ruling affects only those two specific cases.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      02-26-2015 10:44 PM #34
      The Republican response to this has, as usual, been fractally wrong. Somehow, they're managing to reframe as some libertarian thing a legislative position that solely benefits some of the most consumer-unfriendly, monopolistic, legendarily hated companies in the country in their quest to, if possible, become even more hostile to their customers. My mind is full of ****.
      Last edited by Turbio!; 02-26-2015 at 11:17 PM.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      02-26-2015 10:48 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by ErikGTI View Post
      Yay useless government regulation! Can't wait until everyone that was for this will be against it in a year or two.
      Know how I can tell you haven't been paying attention to this topic for more than 24 hours?
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast